HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 6, 2022 at 8:47 AM Post #6,616 of 11,944
I Actually own a new Focal Clear MG and I'm considering selling it, or trading it for Hifiman Arya Stealth. Does anyone here own both?
If you do or have, can you please in comparison explain sound quality of both?

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #6,617 of 11,944
Feb 6, 2022 at 11:20 AM Post #6,618 of 11,944
Is there anything you want to know in specific?
Like the tl:Dr for the Arya is the same as the HE400se's Less treble, more power in the bass.

Some finer details are & note these are COMPARED, Not in general.
~ V1/V2 more slam, can hear the low end as a main focus regardless of every song, The Stealth has slightly more bass power & DB, but has a punch rather than a slam, It also doesn't have that low end focus the v1/V2 have unless the song has bass as a focus. (V1/V2 12-15inch sub loose, Stealth 10 inch sub tight punch)
~ Treble V1 peaky, V2 less peaky but still got peak issues. Stealth to controlled (compared to V2) to the point some instruments can sound wrong. Harps are the easy way to hear the issue if you want to compare yourself. This said it is slightly more detailed in the highs. Probably due to the soundstage difference.
~ Mids are similar enough, although the V1/V2 do have a bit more noticeable energy going for it due to the soundstage differnce.
~ Macro & Micro dynamics About the same. But perception is hard due to soundstage size, So had to go off game audio for Micro, Macro is easier to hear in songs.
~ Volume difference on the SP400 V1/V2 = 32 high gain, Stealth = 28 High gain. Just for reference & Fun HE6seV2 = 38-60 high gain depending how used to the sound you are.
~ Now to that soundstage difference, so if you concentrate on the sound you realize its not as big or small as you think for both. But if you are just listening V1/V2 large & tall, comparable to HD800s, From your head to in front of you & space inbetween. Stealth from inside your head to your eyes/ears/face e.t.c.
~ Large space recordings sound like large space recordings on the Stealth, Far more so than the V1/V2 which also does it, but because its already larger soundstage.
~ Here is an interesting thing the V1, V2 because of the large soundstage its easy to focus on a sound. But with the Stealth is even easier to focus separate sounds even though the soundstage is smaller, They have more definition to the sound. almost an extra layer or focus to the sound. I think this is because the V1/V2 can at times sound like sounds going away from you (& towards you from afar) & the Stealth sounds like sounds are just coming towards you from there separate locations, If that makes sense? If Not, then just understand Very Easy to focus on separate sounds.
~ Both have the dead spot in the centre for imaging.
~ The Stealth does vocals better, its almost a focus point like how the V2 does the low end.
~ The V1/V2 can get picky with low quality audio tracks, The stealth I have not notice many issues with lower quality audio sources.
~ Stealth does metal much better than the V1/V2.
~ V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth. Lets just say the V2 is more Fun to listen to with electronic music. Stealth is fine with it, just not as "fun".
Thanks, this reminds me of the differences with the Ananda and the Edition XS almost exactly. I'm going to try and snag an open box or used V2 if I can get to one on time and if there's any desire I can always contact hifiman to upgrade

Feb 6, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #6,619 of 11,944
What am I supposed to be hearing here? Not sure I get what you mean by 'dead spot'.
There is a dead spot in the centre where the sound jumps from left to right/Right to left without passing through the centre directly (The actual song it goes all the way across without skipping the middle), If you have other headphones that image better (HD600, HD660s, HD800, L300, L700 e.t.c. I think from memory even the SHP9500 can do it) you will hear it cross through the centre without skipping it.
It's harder to notice on sounds that centre out: :20 sec
But easier to hear the flaw on ones that actually cross through the centre from a direction: 3:42
It's actually a lot worse on the Stealth than it is on the V1,V2, but they all do it so far, even the replacements.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #6,620 of 11,944
There is a dead spot in the centre where the sound jumps from left to right/Right to left without passing through the centre directly (The actual song it goes all the way across without skipping the middle), If you have other headphones that image better (HD600, HD660s, HD800, L300, L700 e.t.c. I think from memory even the SHP9500 can do it) you will hear it cross through the centre without skipping it.
But easier to hear the flaw on ones that actually cross through the centre from a direction: 3:42
It's actually a lot worse on the Stealth than it is on the V1,V2, but they all do it so far, even the replacements.

I think you are mistaking panned left right sounds for having a dead spot, when infact they are set to be left or right dominant. I can clearly hear other sounds smoothly moving (panning) left to right and back to keep the motion. The joy of stereo. I could have two channels one hard panned left the other right, and they could if i wanted never meet.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:40 PM Post #6,621 of 11,944
Is there anything you want to know in specific?
Like the tl:Dr for the Arya is the same as the HE400se's Less treble, more power in the bass.

Some finer details are & note these are COMPARED, Not in general.
~ V1/V2 more slam, can hear the low end as a main focus regardless of every song, The Stealth has slightly more bass power & DB, but has a punch rather than a slam, It also doesn't have that low end focus the v1/V2 have unless the song has bass as a focus. (V1/V2 12-15inch sub loose, Stealth 10 inch sub tight punch)
~ Treble V1 peaky, V2 less peaky but still got peak issues. Stealth to controlled (compared to V2) to the point some instruments can sound wrong. Harps are the easy way to hear the issue if you want to compare yourself. This said it is slightly more detailed in the highs. Probably due to the soundstage difference.
~ Mids are similar enough, although the V1/V2 do have a bit more noticeable energy going for it due to the soundstage differnce.
~ Macro & Micro dynamics About the same. But perception is hard due to soundstage size, So had to go off game audio for Micro, Macro is easier to hear in songs.
~ Volume difference on the SP400 V1/V2 = 32 high gain, Stealth = 28 High gain. Just for reference & Fun HE6seV2 = 38-60 high gain depending how used to the sound you are.
~ Now to that soundstage difference, so if you concentrate on the sound you realize its not as big or small as you think for both. But if you are just listening V1/V2 large & tall, comparable to HD800s, From your head to in front of you & space inbetween. Stealth from inside your head to your eyes/ears/face e.t.c.
~ Large space recordings sound like large space recordings on the Stealth, Far more so than the V1/V2 which also does it, but because its already larger soundstage.
~ Here is an interesting thing the V1, V2 because of the large soundstage its easy to focus on a sound. But with the Stealth is even easier to focus separate sounds even though the soundstage is smaller, They have more definition to the sound. almost an extra layer or focus to the sound. I think this is because the V1/V2 can at times sound like sounds going away from you (& towards you from afar) & the Stealth sounds like sounds are just coming towards you from there separate locations, If that makes sense? If Not, then just understand Very Easy to focus on separate sounds.
~ Both have the dead spot in the centre for imaging.
~ The Stealth does vocals better, its almost a focus point like how the V2 does the low end.
~ The V1/V2 can get picky with low quality audio tracks, The stealth I have not notice many issues with lower quality audio sources.
~ Stealth does metal much better than the V1/V2.
~ V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth. Lets just say the V2 is more Fun to listen to with electronic music. Stealth is fine with it, just not as "fun".
I don't think I agree with several of the points you've made in the comparison btw v2 and Stealth. For instance:

1) v1/v2 more slam.... I think the v1/v2's were more about bass definition, not slam. The Stealth also has the bass definition of the v1/v2, but also more dynamics and "slam" - the Stealths can sometimes border on too much bass slam if EQ'd wrong.

2) Mids are similar....v1/v2's have more energy?... I don't think so. The v1/v2's have a "distant" type of vocal/mids. The Stealths have the ability to be intimate when called upon - the v1/v2's remain distant and sometimes hard to make out. Plus the Stealths have better timbre and texture out of the box.

3) Micro and Macro dynamics are better on the Stealth due to it's sharper imaging and dynamics. Again, the Stealths have better timbre and better texture.

4) Now to that soundstage difference......? At first listen and when brand new, Stealth staging is smaller and closer to the head. But after time to play in/burn in, they're practically the same size - but Stealth has sharper imaging which creates more layers, has better timbre, and more easily heard texture.

5) Both have excellent imaging, Stealth has sharper imaging though.

6) Dead spot in the center for imaging...? Neither the v1/v2 nor the Stealths have dead spots. Sounds can be heard near/top/bottom/left/right, far, left, right, center, center-left, center/right, center/left/up/down, center/right/up/down. The localization of sounds in all areas of the soundstage is good in the v1/v2, but phenominal in the Stealth bc of it's sharper imaging. V1/v2's can image but images are a bit fuzzier.

7) V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth.....? All three versions do electronica well, the Stealth has just as large a stage (after time to burn/play in) as the v1/v2 but the Stealths image sharper and more distinctly - creating more contrast between space and instruments and better timbre and texture. The v1/v2 images are less sharp and more fuzzy.

Not to bash anyone, those are just some points I didn't agree with - we all hear differently. I would also like to mention that ultimately how Arya sounds will depend on the rest of your chain - especially the amp, IMO. I think the Stealth is a worthy improvement of an already great HP. I'd be hard pressed to pick a definite winner in all aspects when comparing the three. The deciding factors for me was that the Stealth is still an Arya and has a common sound quality to the earlier versions, it is much easier to drive, and the fact that I could trade in my v2's for a brand new Stealth set within a reasonable dollar amount. I'd say win, win, win.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #6,622 of 11,944
Thanks, this reminds me of the differences with the Ananda and the Edition XS almost exactly. I'm going to try and snag an open box or used V2 if I can get to one on time and if there's any desire I can always contact hifiman to upgrade
Keep in mind, that's one person's impressions. Others (me) disagree with quite a bit of those impressions.

Feb 6, 2022 at 3:55 PM Post #6,623 of 11,944

On my setup, I hear it clearly pan from left to right and back while still passing through the middle. I get no such dead space on my setup. I am able to hear all sounds in all areas of the stage with my set. Left, right, front, back, high, low, center/left/right/top/bottom/and behind - nothing missing at all.

Feb 6, 2022 at 4:25 PM Post #6,624 of 11,944
Keep in mind, that's one person's impressions. Others (me) disagree with quite a bit of those impressions.
I take everything I read as an opinion, meaning I also form my own. Your opinion isn't any more correct than his

Feb 6, 2022 at 5:26 PM Post #6,625 of 11,944
I take everything I read as an opinion, meaning I also form my own. Your opinion isn't any more correct than his
Didn't say it was, only offering an alternate view. You asked the question...but if you would have read more of the thread's previous posts, you may have not needed to ask it in the first place. Still, there's no dumb questions. Read the last part of my post concerning Prymortal's impressions. We hear all hear differently, quite a bit differently in some cases - while we also describe differently the things we hear. Peace to you and happy listening.

Feb 7, 2022 at 12:41 AM Post #6,626 of 11,944
I think you are mistaking panned left right sounds for having a dead spot, when infact they are set to be left or right dominant. I can clearly hear other sounds smoothly moving (panning) left to right and back to keep the motion. The joy of stereo. I could have two channels one hard panned left the other right, and they could if i wanted never meet.
No that would be you mistaking it, Try some other headphones.
I don't think I agree with several of the points you've made in the comparison btw v2 and Stealth. For instance:

1) v1/v2 more slam.... I think the v1/v2's were more about bass definition, not slam. The Stealth also has the bass definition of the v1/v2, but also more dynamics and "slam" - the Stealths can sometimes border on too much bass slam if EQ'd wrong.

2) Mids are similar....v1/v2's have more energy?... I don't think so. The v1/v2's have a "distant" type of vocal/mids. The Stealths have the ability to be intimate when called upon - the v1/v2's remain distant and sometimes hard to make out. Plus the Stealths have better timbre and texture out of the box.

3) Micro and Macro dynamics are better on the Stealth due to it's sharper imaging and dynamics. Again, the Stealths have better timbre and better texture.

4) Now to that soundstage difference......? At first listen and when brand new, Stealth staging is smaller and closer to the head. But after time to play in/burn in, they're practically the same size - but Stealth has sharper imaging which creates more layers, has better timbre, and more easily heard texture.

5) Both have excellent imaging, Stealth has sharper imaging though.

6) Dead spot in the center for imaging...? Neither the v1/v2 nor the Stealths have dead spots. Sounds can be heard near/top/bottom/left/right, far, left, right, center, center-left, center/right, center/left/up/down, center/right/up/down. The localization of sounds in all areas of the soundstage is good in the v1/v2, but phenominal in the Stealth bc of it's sharper imaging. V1/v2's can image but images are a bit fuzzier.

7) V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth.....? All three versions do electronica well, the Stealth has just as large a stage (after time to burn/play in) as the v1/v2 but the Stealths image sharper and more distinctly - creating more contrast between space and instruments and better timbre and texture. The v1/v2 images are less sharp and more fuzzy.

Not to bash anyone, those are just some points I didn't agree with - we all hear differently. I would also like to mention that ultimately how Arya sounds will depend on the rest of your chain - especially the amp, IMO. I think the Stealth is a worthy improvement of an already great HP. I'd be hard pressed to pick a definite winner in all aspects when comparing the three. The deciding factors for me was that the Stealth is still an Arya and has a common sound quality to the earlier versions, it is much easier to drive, and the fact that I could trade in my v2's for a brand new Stealth set within a reasonable dollar amount. I'd say win, win, win.
1. Yip, definition because slightly flatter & less power. Which in turn was the cause of the slam.
So I do agree, My explanations is off.
2. Disagree but i see your point. There is a little more energy on the V2 & it lingers longer (quick sound spot & linger spread) because you can hear a larger space of the notes - as you state so are aware of this, the stealth just gives you the sound without the linger, likely because smaller size stage. Don't get me wrong the vocals are a focus point of the stealth & vocals can be mid heavy, take what you want from it. Better timbre & texture does not make for better energy.
3. Disagree. But you are coming from a different view & meaning for the words. (which is a common thing: Small-quick / loud-soft & Finer detail with volume differences)
4. - I was wondering about this, I am beyond burn in hours, but these (Stealth) replacements & even the originals are still quite new. It did open up a little, But not the same so far.
5. Agree.
6. They do, Try other headphones. ` Your Welcome.
(A r2r & multibit will round it off a bit more giving a little more towards the centre but they still do it just gotta pay more attention)

7. As I stated & undersold.... :) But V2 is the best & more "fun"! - In my opinion.
Just to counter some points. I don't completely disagree, but some areas definitely a difference of opinion, meaning, experience & bad explanation...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 1:55 AM Post #6,627 of 11,944
2. Disagree but i see your point. There is a little more energy on the V2 & it lingers longer (quick sound spot & linger spread) because you can hear a larger space of the notes - as you state so are aware of this, the stealth just gives you the sound without the linger, likely because smaller size stage. Don't get me wrong the vocals are a focus point of the stealth & vocals can be mid heavy, take what you want from it. Better timbre & texture does not make for better energy.

I think I know what quality you're talking about - there is some unnaturally long decay/echo on midrange notes with the V2 which I think contributes greatly to the perception of a larger soundstage, or in your case, "energy." This is potentially caused by sound wave deflecting off of the non-Stealth magnets resulting in some of the harmonics reaching your ears with a slight delay/slightly different direction (just a theory I've seen posed by someone else). Personally, once I zeroed in on this quality, it really bothered me on indie rock or acoustic music that's meant to sound precise, clear, and intimate, not like the singer is performing in a concert hall.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #6,628 of 11,944
No that would be you mistaking it, Try some other headphones.

1. Yip, definition because slightly flatter & less power. Which in turn was the cause of the slam.
So I do agree, My explanations is off.
3. Disagree. But you are coming from a different view & meaning for the words. (which is a common thing: Small-quick / loud-soft & Finer detail with volume differences)
4. - I was wondering about this, I am beyond burn in hours, but these (Stealth) replacements & even the originals are still quite new. It did open up a little, But not the same so far.
5. Agree.
6. They do, Try other headphones. ` Your Welcome.
(A r2r & multibit will round it off a bit more giving a little more towards the centre but they still do it just gotta pay more attention)

7. As I stated & undersold.... :) But V2 is the best & more "fun"! - In my opinion.
Just to counter some points. I don't completely disagree, but some areas definitely a difference of opinion, meaning, experience & bad explanation...
3) Microdynamics vs Macrodynamics:
a) Micro = small scale/low volume/trailing edges of sounds in the background (easy to be heard on both, but for me better on the Stealth because of it's sharper imaging).

b) Macrodynamics = large scale/higher volume details that remain composed and easier to hear at higher volumes; also related to dynamic range - the difference between soft and loud sounds (both macrodynamics and dynamic range are still better on Stealth to me - because of it being more efficient/easier to drive - and as a result it's easier to "get moving" more quickly, which aids in it having better macrodynamics and dynamic range; the sharper imaging also helps with both).

As I said, we all hear differently and express what we hear in different ways. Neither are ultimately right or wrong, just different. I think the Stealths have more "energy" than the v2's with my setup (I've never really heard the v1's but the consensus is that they're exceedingly similar to the v2's except more peaky). I say "with my setup" because it matters what they're being driven with. My discrete Class A amp delivers bass depth and bass dynamics/punch in spades, and also some warmth with clarity. It can be on the verge of sometimes having too much punch/slam/dynamics with the Stealths depending on the song - but just right with the v2's, depending on the recording. That's why I don't feel the need to ever EQ the v2's or the Stealths (the Stealths especially) - they're punchy enough and have excellent tonality, timbre, staging, and balance throughout the FR. Happy listening to all.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 7:06 AM Post #6,629 of 11,944
Feb 7, 2022 at 11:12 AM Post #6,630 of 11,944

Users who are viewing this thread

Back