HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #6,631 of 11,919
Just received the Arya Stealth today and cannot test it as my source only has a 3.5mm socket and the Arya has a 1/4" (6.35mm) plug only.

Not impressive accessories for upper end cans!

Will this cable work as a replacement? It has a screw thread to change between 3.5mm and 6.35mm:

https://www.heynowhifi.com.au/products/beyerdynamic-audiophile-connection-cable-3-0m-textile
I'm sure that will do for a 7N's OCC cable. Pretty sure you could get a less expensive cable that would work too, but it depends on what your requirements for a cable are. What does your chain consist of?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 5:58 PM Post #6,633 of 11,919
Thanks all - appreciate the assistance.
I'm using a Cayin N3Pro as a source.

I would +1 for the cheaper alternative - I really like Hart audio cables with the mini-XLR interchangeable termination system. Saves money and space on getting whole new cables just because you need a 3.5mm, 4.4mm, XLR, etc. They are also thin, light, comfortable, not stiff, and not microphonic.

It does feel like 80% of headphone and IEM manufacturers are in a perpetual contest to see who can ship their premium products with the worst cables. Other than Thieaudio, I've only had the displeasure of experiencing Hifiman, Focal, and Moondrop so far, and oof. The stock cable for the Monarch MkII is pretty good though.

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #6,634 of 11,919
I would +1 for the cheaper alternative - I really like Hart audio cables with the mini-XLR interchangeable termination system. Saves money and space on getting whole new cables just because you need a 3.5mm, 4.4mm, XLR, etc. They are also thin, light, comfortable, not stiff, and not microphonic.

It does feel like 80% of headphone and IEM manufacturers are in a perpetual contest to see who can ship their premium products with the worst cables. Other than Thieaudio, I've only had the displeasure of experiencing Hifiman, Focal, and Moondrop so far, and oof. The stock cable for the Monarch MkII is pretty good though.
Thanks! Are you able to post a link to the product mate?

Feb 7, 2022 at 6:39 PM Post #6,635 of 11,919

https://hartaudiocables.com/collect...9-dual-3-5mm-mono-ts-balanced-headphone-cable

Here you go...just get the appropriate interconnect for your use case. Looks like the Cayin N3Pro has a 4.4mm balanced out so I'd probably get that. If you think you might get a desktop amplifier in the future it wouldn't be a bad idea to pick up a 3.5mm and/or a XLR as well - the interconnects are cheap but if you buy them separately later then you'll pay a little extra shipping.

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:17 PM Post #6,636 of 11,919
I'd like to also mention Periapt cables - for a slightly cheaper but good option too.

Feb 7, 2022 at 7:47 PM Post #6,637 of 11,919
I don't think I agree with several of the points you've made in the comparison btw v2 and Stealth. For instance:

1) v1/v2 more slam.... I think the v1/v2's were more about bass definition, not slam. The Stealth also has the bass definition of the v1/v2, but also more dynamics and "slam" - the Stealths can sometimes border on too much bass slam if EQ'd wrong.

2) Mids are similar....v1/v2's have more energy?... I don't think so. The v1/v2's have a "distant" type of vocal/mids. The Stealths have the ability to be intimate when called upon - the v1/v2's remain distant and sometimes hard to make out. Plus the Stealths have better timbre and texture out of the box.

3) Micro and Macro dynamics are better on the Stealth due to it's sharper imaging and dynamics. Again, the Stealths have better timbre and better texture.

4) Now to that soundstage difference......? At first listen and when brand new, Stealth staging is smaller and closer to the head. But after time to play in/burn in, they're practically the same size - but Stealth has sharper imaging which creates more layers, has better timbre, and more easily heard texture.

5) Both have excellent imaging, Stealth has sharper imaging though.

6) Dead spot in the center for imaging...? Neither the v1/v2 nor the Stealths have dead spots. Sounds can be heard near/top/bottom/left/right, far, left, right, center, center-left, center/right, center/left/up/down, center/right/up/down. The localization of sounds in all areas of the soundstage is good in the v1/v2, but phenominal in the Stealth bc of it's sharper imaging. V1/v2's can image but images are a bit fuzzier.

7) V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth.....? All three versions do electronica well, the Stealth has just as large a stage (after time to burn/play in) as the v1/v2 but the Stealths image sharper and more distinctly - creating more contrast between space and instruments and better timbre and texture. The v1/v2 images are less sharp and more fuzzy.

Not to bash anyone, those are just some points I didn't agree with - we all hear differently. I would also like to mention that ultimately how Arya sounds will depend on the rest of your chain - especially the amp, IMO. I think the Stealth is a worthy improvement of an already great HP. I'd be hard pressed to pick a definite winner in all aspects when comparing the three. The deciding factors for me was that the Stealth is still an Arya and has a common sound quality to the earlier versions, it is much easier to drive, and the fact that I could trade in my v2's for a brand new Stealth set within a reasonable dollar amount. I'd say win, win, win.
I don't think I agree with several of the points you've made in the comparison btw v2 and Stealth. For instance:

1) v1/v2 more slam.... I think the v1/v2's were more about bass definition, not slam. The Stealth also has the bass definition of the v1/v2, but also more dynamics and "slam" - the Stealths can sometimes border on too much bass slam if EQ'd wrong.

2) Mids are similar....v1/v2's have more energy?... I don't think so. The v1/v2's have a "distant" type of vocal/mids. The Stealths have the ability to be intimate when called upon - the v1/v2's remain distant and sometimes hard to make out. Plus the Stealths have better timbre and texture out of the box.

3) Micro and Macro dynamics are better on the Stealth due to it's sharper imaging and dynamics. Again, the Stealths have better timbre and better texture.

4) Now to that soundstage difference......? At first listen and when brand new, Stealth staging is smaller and closer to the head. But after time to play in/burn in, they're practically the same size - but Stealth has sharper imaging which creates more layers, has better timbre, and more easily heard texture.

5) Both have excellent imaging, Stealth has sharper imaging though.

6) Dead spot in the center for imaging...? Neither the v1/v2 nor the Stealths have dead spots. Sounds can be heard near/top/bottom/left/right, far, left, right, center, center-left, center/right, center/left/up/down, center/right/up/down. The localization of sounds in all areas of the soundstage is good in the v1/v2, but phenominal in the Stealth bc of it's sharper imaging. V1/v2's can image but images are a bit fuzzier.

7) V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth.....? All three versions do electronica well, the Stealth has just as large a stage (after time to burn/play in) as the v1/v2 but the Stealths image sharper and more distinctly - creating more contrast between space and instruments and better timbre and texture. The v1/v2 images are less sharp and more fuzzy.

Not to bash anyone, those are just some points I didn't agree with - we all hear differently. I would also like to mention that ultimately how Arya sounds will depend on the rest of your chain - especially the amp, IMO. I think the Stealth is a worthy improvement of an already great HP. I'd be hard pressed to pick a definite winner in all aspects when comparing the three. The deciding factors for me was that the Stealth is still an Arya and has a common sound quality to the earlier versions, it is much easier to drive, and the fact that I could trade in my v2's for a brand new Stealth set within a reasonable dollar amount. I'd say win, win, win.
I feel like if you have to mention burn-in, you’re trying to cut the product some slack, let’s just say that there are things the v1/v2 perform better at and things the stealths perform better at. We’ve heard numerous reviewers state this, yet some of you people on this thread refuse to accept it, you swear by your stealth purchase. Accept the truth, we can’t have it all!

Feb 7, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #6,638 of 11,919
I had a periapt cable and while the construction was fine, that splitter is CHONK. If your splitter dips below your desk it will always snag.

I'm a degenerate and use a 25 dollar cable from amazon. :fox:

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 9:29 PM Post #6,639 of 11,919
I had a periapt cable and while the construction was fine, that splitter is CHONK. If your splitter dips below your desk it will always snag.

Agreed. Like (not love) the build quality, hate the splitter.

Feb 7, 2022 at 10:05 PM Post #6,640 of 11,919
I feel like if you have to mention burn-in, you’re trying to cut the product some slack, let’s just say that there are things the v1/v2 perform better at and things the stealths perform better at. We’ve heard numerous reviewers state this, yet some of you people on this thread refuse to accept it, you swear by your stealth purchase. Accept the truth, we can’t have it all!
Please read the last paragraph of my post - you'll see that I've already said the exact same thing that you just mentioned about comparing the three. I only mentioned burn in because some people have stated that the Stealths have a drastically smaller soundstage compared to the v2's, which is not entirely true IMO - especially after they've played in and loosened up a bit. Plus, all versions of the Arya benefit from at least some burn in (at least the v2's and Stealths). Either way, there's not huge differences between the two versions I've heard, though the Stealths do have better timbre and bass dynamics compared to the v2's. No worries though - there's no need to get upset, it's not a personal attack.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #6,641 of 11,919

I sent off an email to Periapt before I ordered to ask them if they could supply a different splitter. No such luck...I've learned to lean back from my laptop table, hahaha.

Feb 8, 2022 at 2:26 AM Post #6,643 of 11,919
V2 vs V3 (aka Stealth). Are they really that different?
I feel like this part of the review really sums up the main difference:

To be honest, my only gripe with the Arya (2020) was that things could sound too open, making certain images be placed too far away. This resulted in a presentation of sound that was nothing short of amazing upon first listening but after a while made me feel that I had to focus a little too much to appreciate the details, again, everything just seemed a little too far away.

I really related to that - I felt like the Stealth is a more relaxed listening experience (even though paradoxically it has a more energetic presentation) and therefore more enjoyable, because I don't have to focus as hard on all of the spread-out, slightly softer imaged parts of the mix for fear of missing something.

I also personally perceived a significant increase in punchiness across the FR, whereas the Arya V2 felt kind of soft especially on kick drum and tom tom hits, and that was not great for aggressive metal tracks.

Those 2 qualities kept me from fully loving the V2 (as awed by it as I was at first), and turned the V3 into a complete, damn near flawless daily driver headphone for me.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:42 AM Post #6,644 of 11,919
V2 vs V3 (aka Stealth). Are they really that different?
Not really, they're both still an Arya and share the Arya's general sound characteristics. They both have deep bass, realistic mids, revealing highs - with excellent detail, layering, and imaging. To me, the main differences from the v2's come from:

#1) Fresh out of the box the Stealths have better timbre...the v2's could sometimes have a plasticky type timbre - but that can be vastly improved by a Class A amp...or tone controls/EQ.

#2) When brand new and fresh out of the box, the Stealths have a somewhat smaller soundstage than the v2's - it's kind of a let-down coming from the v2's quite massive staging (but sometimes too distant). However, after about ~75 - 100 hours burn-in (or play-in, if you'd rather), the Stealth's staging increases to be virtually the same size as the v2's - they just take time to loosen up.

The other differences are that the Stealths are easier to drive, have punchier, more dynamic bass (both of which may make amplifier matching easier), and has slightly sharper imaging compared to the v2's - but they're still both Aryas though. The differences aren't massive, some are pretty subtle. These are my impressions, others may disagree.

Feb 8, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #6,645 of 11,919
I feel like this part of the review really sums up the main difference:

I really related to that - I felt like the Stealth is a more relaxed listening experience (even though paradoxically it has a more energetic presentation) and therefore more enjoyable, because I don't have to focus as hard on all of the spread-out, slightly softer imaged parts of the mix for fear of missing something.

I also personally perceived a significant increase in punchiness across the FR, whereas the Arya V2 felt kind of soft especially on kick drum and tom tom hits, and that was not great for aggressive metal tracks.

Those 2 qualities kept me from fully loving the V2 (as awed by it as I was at first), and turned the V3 into a complete, damn near flawless daily driver headphone for me.
I should've read your post first - I could've saved my words, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back