HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Feb 3, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #6,601 of 11,915
I think he means that the Arya v2's can sometimes have a type of "plasticky" or "synthetic" timbre. I noticed it when I paired it with IC based amps like the A90 and Monolith '887 - though when I used a discrete Class A amp it greatly improved the v2's timbre/signature.

Agreed, and just to add to that, they only maybe sound that way when compared side-by-side to headphones with legendary, phenomenal and renowned timbre.

Feb 3, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #6,602 of 11,915
I think he means that the Arya v2's can sometimes have a type of "plasticky" or "synthetic" timbre. I noticed it when I paired it with IC based amps like the A90 and Monolith '887 - though when I used a discrete Class A amp it greatly improved the v2's timbre/signature.

If that is what he means then I partially agree, but I would use the word metallic rather than plastic. I wouldn't note it as a negative attribute though, IMO. I can hear the difference in timber compared to the smoother/natural susvara. Did going from the v2 to stealth smooth out the timbre in a way you are describing your class A does ?

Feb 3, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #6,603 of 11,915
If that is what he means then I partially agree, but I would use the word metallic rather than plastic. I wouldn't note it as a negative attribute though, IMO. I can hear the difference in timber compared to the smoother/natural susvara. Did going from the v2 to stealth smooth out the timbre in a way you are describing your class A does ?
Very similarly, yes. I would wager that the Stealth has better timre out of the box - it has fixed the greatest majority of the metallic-ish timbre. One may not notice it at all - unless absolutely no care is taken in matching an amplifier to it - or if squinting really, really hard, haha.

Feb 4, 2022 at 1:32 AM Post #6,604 of 11,915
The Arya stealth don’t sound metallic to me.
Maybe it’s my amp but the Diana Phi nor the Stealth are bright to me.

It seems XI Broadway is well liked by the people who’ve tried it but the GSX mini seems to be the more popular choice.

The mids on the Phi can be forward at least more so than the V2s but the Stealth sound quite smooth to me.

I’ve never heard the Susvara but the other Hifiman cans I’ve heard have that “plastic” timbre that I can particularly note in drum snares for example.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing but IME I’m realizing slowly why the Phis are so renowned.
I’m guessing your get the similar “naturalness” when moving onto to Susvara.

PS I’ll put my money where my mouth runs.
I’m trying to pick up a second hand GSX mini so I can compare Diana Phi and V2, XC and Arya Stealth vs all that set up via Broadway.

I also have superconductor interconnects… if I only had kept my SC headphone cable…
Still I’m a skeptic. I think cables can influence sound but I wouldn’t pass a blind test.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #6,605 of 11,915
Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #6,606 of 11,915

It seems XI Broadway is well liked by the people who’ve tried it but the GSX mini seems to be the more popular choice.

The mids on the Phi can be forward at least more so than the V2s but the Stealth sound quite smooth to me.

I’ve never heard the Susvara but the other Hifiman cans I’ve heard have that “plastic” timbre that I can particularly note in drum snares for example.

It’s not necessarily a bad thing but IME I’m realizing slowly why the Phis are so renowned.

I’m trying to pick up a second hand GSX mini so I can compare Diana Phi and V2, XC and Arya Stealth vs all that set up via Broadway.

I also have superconductor interconnects… if I only had kept my SC headphone cable…
Still I’m a skeptic. I think cables can influence sound but I wouldn’t pass a blind test.
The Broadway is a world class-ish discrete Class A amp isn't it? - it probably has excellent timbre, spaciousness, imaging, and richness that wouldn't aggravate the v2's slight timbre issue. Depending on it's presentation, it may even give them better timbre. My lowly Gustard H20 did the v2's due justice in improving their timbre character. I think the slightly metallic/plasticky happened when the v2's were paired mainly with IC based or bright-sounding amps - or like what Reputator said - only when compared back to back vs HPs with "...legendary, phenomenal, and renowned timbre..." Plus ones that do timbre well but fall far short vs Arya in many other areas.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2022 at 7:05 PM Post #6,607 of 11,915

I'd describe it like a kalimba. I used the word taut, but I think plucked is also a synonym. Its that timbre that is inherent regardless of FR, IMO.

A week ago I turned my EQ off for a bit with the arya and sounded like I'm in a cup and interestingly enough I saw this FR descriptor guide that explained that very spot in which the arya and susvara diverge from the Diana and LCD5 in that region. Looking at it now it says a dip in that region sounds like a plastic cup !! I EQ to Harmon so I'm elevating that recession.

Attachments

• Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    603.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    188 KB · Views: 0
Feb 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #6,610 of 11,915
Is there a good review that really pits the V2 vs V3? I'm sure it's asked a lot. I got the XS and it seems stealth magnets create that tighter, more coherent sound while stuff like Ananda or v2 wihout stealth has a larger stage with farther apart details

Feb 5, 2022 at 12:42 PM Post #6,612 of 11,915
Is there a good review that really pits the V2 vs V3? I'm sure it's asked a lot. I got the XS and it seems stealth magnets create that tighter, more coherent sound while stuff like Ananda or v2 wihout stealth has a larger stage with farther apart details
Here you go my dude. Some people are skeptical of Lachlan because he does reviews of controversial components like cables and LPSes, but I find his reviews of the core audiophile stuff - headphones, amps, DACs - to be pretty thoughtful and rigorous (he ABXes where possible).

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #6,613 of 11,915
How would Schiit Modius and Asgard 3 pair up with Arya Stealth? or maybe Modius+ Jot2 will be better?
I am planning to run my Arya V3 using balanced output.

Right now I have the old Bifrost (ver 1 ) connected to my PC via toslink and an Asgard 2 but I want an upgrade and not use my PC's sound card.
I also have magni 2 and notice it has more details but more narrow soundstage than then the Asgard 2. So i am looking for something that will give me the combination of those 2 devices. Details + soundstage.

Budget no more then 600$ (for dac+amp to fit the Arya V3)

Thanks.

Feb 5, 2022 at 1:45 PM Post #6,614 of 11,915
The Broadway is a world class-ish discrete Class A amp isn't it? - it probably has excellent timbre, spaciousness, imaging, and richness that wouldn't aggravate the v2's slight timbre issue. Depending on it's presentation, it may even give them better timbre. My lowly Gustard H20 did the v2's due justice in improving their timbre character. I think the slightly metallic/plasticky happened when the v2's were paired mainly with IC based or bright-sounding amps - or like what Reputator said - only when compared back to back vs HPs with "...legendary, phenomenal, and renowned timbre..." Plus ones that do timbre well but fall far short vs Arya in many other areas.
The funny thing is ive only heard a handful of headphone amps in total so I can't even confirm that. Besides my iFi Diablo/Zen Can; Ive only heard the Arya via Broadway.
The reason I own the Broadway is because IME more expensive electronics tend to align with an increase in sound quality.

Ive played electric bass (not professionally) for about 16 years and always neglected the higher end electronics. My basses sounded good but never had that studio sound captured in live recordings and such. Once I got a hold of some nicer amps/speakers (and cables) my instruments' tone really shone through and the bottleneck in getting "that tone" was gone. Now, it apparently gets even sweeter if I go even higher up but Ill stop there since Im not a recording artist or a professional.

Theres a parallel argument in the electric bass world for diminishing returns. The electronics are everything. The wood/material doesn't matter and paying more isn't getting you anything but status. I figured it'd be about the same effect with headphones where theres truths to both sides although the cable prices are nowhere near as crazy.

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:40 AM Post #6,615 of 11,915
Is there anything you want to know in specific?
Like the tl:Dr for the Arya is the same as the HE400se's Less treble, more power in the bass.

Some finer details are & note these are COMPARED, Not in general.
~ V1/V2 more slam, can hear the low end as a main focus regardless of every song, The Stealth has slightly more bass power & DB, but has a punch rather than a slam, It also doesn't have that low end focus the v1/V2 have unless the song has bass as a focus. (V1/V2 12-15inch sub loose, Stealth 10 inch sub tight punch)
~ Treble V1 peaky, V2 less peaky but still got peak issues. Stealth to controlled (compared to V2) to the point some instruments can sound wrong. Harps are the easy way to hear the issue if you want to compare yourself. This said it is slightly more detailed in the highs. Probably due to the soundstage difference.
~ Mids are similar enough, although the V1/V2 do have a bit more noticeable energy going for it due to the soundstage differnce.
~ Macro & Micro dynamics About the same. But perception is hard due to soundstage size, So had to go off game audio for Micro, Macro is easier to hear in songs.
~ Volume difference on the SP400 V1/V2 = 32 high gain, Stealth = 28 High gain. Just for reference & Fun HE6seV2 = 38-60 high gain depending how used to the sound you are.
~ Now to that soundstage difference, so if you concentrate on the sound you realize its not as big or small as you think for both. But if you are just listening V1/V2 large & tall, comparable to HD800s, From your head to in front of you & space inbetween. Stealth from inside your head to your eyes/ears/face e.t.c.
~ Large space recordings sound like large space recordings on the Stealth, Far more so than the V1/V2 which also does it, but because its already larger soundstage.
~ Here is an interesting thing the V1, V2 because of the large soundstage its easy to focus on a sound. But with the Stealth is even easier to focus separate sounds even though the soundstage is smaller, They have more definition to the sound. almost an extra layer or focus to the sound. I think this is because the V1/V2 can at times sound like sounds going away from you (& towards you from afar) & the Stealth sounds like sounds are just coming towards you from there separate locations, If that makes sense? If Not, then just understand Very Easy to focus on separate sounds.
~ Both have the dead spot in the centre for imaging.
~ The Stealth does vocals better, its almost a focus point like how the V2 does the low end.
~ The V1/V2 can get picky with low quality audio tracks, The stealth I have not notice many issues with lower quality audio sources.
~ Stealth does metal much better than the V1/V2.
~ V1/V2 does Electronic music better than the Stealth. Lets just say the V2 is more Fun to listen to with electronic music. Stealth is fine with it, just not as "fun".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back