HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 28, 2022 at 3:08 PM Post #6,571 of 11,886
I have the Dekoni pads for my 800S's and LOVE them. I called Dekoni back in Nov after I ordered my Arya's and they told me they were working on pads for the Arya's. I placed my order last week and they showed up today! Just popped them in and have been giving them a listen. I ordered the velour and they are VERY comfy I think compared to the stock pads. Like a nice soft hug on my ears. Sonic wise, I haven't noticed any issues or noticeable differences. I like them so far...... :)Dekoni13.jpg
Picture please - with them on the Arya's.....

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:35 PM Post #6,572 of 11,886
Thank you really much. I wonder if the dekoni is a little thicker than the arya stock pads. I wish arya stock was a little thicker
I'm with you there, but I think Dekoni mentioned they chose to use the same dimensions as the original pads. So thickness/depth should be the same as before.

Jan 28, 2022 at 3:38 PM Post #6,573 of 11,886
Am I right when I say the hybrid model has holes on the sides?

Jan 28, 2022 at 9:21 PM Post #6,574 of 11,886
Am I right when I say the hybrid model has holes on the sides?

The inner walls, which is similar to stock pads. The Dekonis will obviously be softer than stock, though.

Jan 28, 2022 at 10:51 PM Post #6,575 of 11,886
I'm curious. I have several phones that I've switched stock pads for fenestrated leather, and been very pleased.

Why would one change OEM hybrid pads, for 3rd party hybrid pads?

In my opinion, the stock Arya v2 pads are very good. Comfortable, fantastic sound.
Thank you really much. I wonder if the dekoni is a little thicker than the arya stock pads. I wish arya stock was a little thicker
I purchased Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin for my DK Aeon 2 open phones. I can just barely stuff my ears into the cups.

One of those "oh well" purchases. I had a new pair of stock pads (with that damned "plether"), but I wanted natural sheepskin.

Jan 28, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #6,576 of 11,886
W

Thanks for responds but the video doesnt seem to be easy for me...:)

A lot of force imo
It's really easier in person. The video person did exert a LOT of force. In person, it's actually easier to gently pry up just one small portion of the earpad with your thumbnail - pry between the pad and the housing. It's really easy, IMO.

Jan 29, 2022 at 12:01 AM Post #6,577 of 11,886
I'm curious. I have several phones that I've switched stock pads for fenestrated leather, and been very pleased.

Why would one change OEM hybrid pads, for 3rd party hybrid pads?

In my opinion, the stock Arya v2 pads are very good. Comfortable, fantastic sound.

I purchased Dekoni fenestrated sheepskin for my DK Aeon 2 open phones. I can just barely stuff my ears into the cups.

One of those "oh well" purchases. I had a new pair of stock pads (with that damned "plether"), but I wanted natural sheepskin.
I noticed that the newest Arya SE pads are slightly stiffer than the older v2 pads - that the Arya SE pads are the same stiffness as the Ananda pads. When I got the v2's and compared them with my Anandas, the v2's pads were softer and compressed easier. IDK if it's because my v2's pads were used more than my Anandas' or if they actually are slightly different makeups 🤷‍♂️- I think they're different...

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 3:47 PM Post #6,578 of 11,886
One thing more about Arya and placement on the head. I have noticed even though the best position that seems to be comfortable according to my head, doesnt sound the best. The best position for me is exactly the mid of the earcups. Counting from the bottom the 6. grill. In the best fitting position it is to high according to my ear. It needs to be lowered, so the center alligns with my ear.

EDIT: I would not recommend Arya to anybody with a smaller head than me, and I have a big head. It just right for me. If it was bigger I would definitly return them.

Placement is important!

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2022 at 9:10 PM Post #6,579 of 11,886
I read some time ago, planers should be positioned so that the outer ear is comfortably accommodated by the upper left of each cup.

That works well for me. My upper, outer ear (the Helix) is close, but not touching the interior of the top of my ear pad.

Jan 30, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #6,580 of 11,886
One thing more about Arya and placement on the head. I have noticed even though the best position that seems to be comfortable according to my head, doesnt sound the best. The best position for me is exactly the mid of the earcups. Counting from the bottom the 6. grill. In the best fitting position it is to high according to my ear. I needs to come down a litte so the center alligns with my ear.

EDIT: I would not recommend Arya to anybody with a smaller head than me, and I have a big head. It just right for me. If it was bigger I would definitly return them.

Placement is important!
Another member on this site - bagwell359, I believe - commented that the best SQ comes from aligning the ear canals to the exact center of the drivers. I tried it and tend to agree.

Jan 30, 2022 at 6:47 AM Post #6,581 of 11,886
Hi all! I have been lurking for a while.
I have purchased the Arya last year (non-stealth) and was running it with an Amp/DAC device (SMSL M500). I recently ordered a separate Amp (Topping A90) on amazon to test out because I have been reading so many different things on what to pair with the Arya.
To me it seems like the sound has improved noticeably. Especially bass has a lot more kick and the sound overall seems to be more energetic. Now I am unsure whether I am just tricking myself. When people talk about the fact that headphones "need power" what does that actually mean? Because the Amp/DAC was driving the headphone to very high volumes already. Yet I think that the sound sounds better with the separate amp.
I am a bit lost because you read so much information where you don't really know what to believe (battery powered speaker cables/USB noise isolator etc..).
Are there any "scientific" explanations to my observation?
Sorry for the newbie question.

Jan 30, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #6,582 of 11,886
I have purchased the Arya last year (non-stealth) and was running it with an Amp/DAC device (SMSL M500). I recently ordered a separate Amp (Topping A90) on amazon to test out because I have been reading so many different things on what to pair with the Arya.
To me it seems like the sound has improved noticeably. Especially bass has a lot more kick and the sound overall seems to be more energetic. Now I am unsure whether I am just tricking myself. When people talk about the fact that headphones "need power" what does that actually mean? Because the Amp/DAC was driving the headphone to very high volumes already. Yet I think that the sound sounds better with the separate amp.
I am a bit lost because you read so much information where you don't really know what to believe (battery powered speaker cables/USB noise isolator etc..).
If you still have both amps, ask a friend to help you do a blind test. Let your ears and brain decide!

Jan 30, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #6,583 of 11,886
If you hear it as different/better, then it is. Probably the amp in the M500 was not the best, nor the most powerful - and the v2's need good power, particularly current. I had the A90 and it is a decent amp compared to some others, but my Class A and Class AB amps did sound more natural and more spatially adept. What I mean is that the A90 had a flatter presentation without much depth, while the Class A/AB amps had better width, height, and depth - along with better timbre and tone. Have no fear though, you're getting great sound right now - better than 90% of all the people on Earth (my stat, don't Google it). Don't overthink it - enjoy your tunes right now. Maybe later you'll want to try upgrading your chain to a better DAC and a discrete Class A amp - the Aryas scale greatly with better source gears. Keep us posted.

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:25 PM Post #6,584 of 11,886
A good quality high current amp will maintain that "magic" and detail at low volumes. If you find the details disappearing at low volumes, then it's probably not a great amp. Everything sounds "better" loud, or at least your mind perceives that. :wink:

Jan 30, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #6,585 of 11,886
The tricky thing about looking for high/stable current amps for planars is

1) there are no reference points I could find for what is a good number (or indeed what the appropriate unit even is for current stability) to aim for to drive a particular headphone.

2) even if such a number was known for the Arya, headamp manufacturers don't put these numbers in their specs. So even with the conventional wisdom being what it is, pairing amps with headphones still feels like guesswork, though you can at least turn it into educated guesswork by reading lots of reviews and user impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back