HIFIMAN Arya - Arya Stealth - Arya Organic :: Impressions Thread
Jan 30, 2022 at 3:17 PM Post #6,586 of 11,916
Hi all! I have been lurking for a while.
I have purchased the Arya last year (non-stealth) and was running it with an Amp/DAC device (SMSL M500). I recently ordered a separate Amp (Topping A90) on amazon to test out because I have been reading so many different things on what to pair with the Arya.
To me it seems like the sound has improved noticeably. Especially bass has a lot more kick and the sound overall seems to be more energetic. Now I am unsure whether I am just tricking myself. When people talk about the fact that headphones "need power" what does that actually mean? Because the Amp/DAC was driving the headphone to very high volumes already. Yet I think that the sound sounds better with the separate amp.
I am a bit lost because you read so much information where you don't really know what to believe (battery powered speaker cables/USB noise isolator etc..).
Are there any "scientific" explanations to my observation?
Sorry for the newbie question.

That is a super weak amp compared to the A90, so you are most likely actually hearing an improvement. A90 does 1.4a so you are covered for any hard to drive planar that exist right now, as planars are typically low impedance and use more current. Here is a power guide by solderdude on the other form(asr) to sorta rack your brain around it. I think a tell tale sign of being under powered is shouty highs and uncontrolled bass. Once meet and exceed your power requirements for headroom there is no "scaling", it simply a matter of people listening to different amps and preference.

If you don't have any ground issues or RF interference then you don't need any "noise" solutions and cables objectively do not make a difference.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2022 at 8:09 PM Post #6,587 of 11,916
Hi all! I have been lurking for a while.
I have purchased the Arya last year (non-stealth) and was running it with an Amp/DAC device (SMSL M500). I recently ordered a separate Amp (Topping A90) on amazon to test out because I have been reading so many different things on what to pair with the Arya.
To me it seems like the sound has improved noticeably. Especially bass has a lot more kick and the sound overall seems to be more energetic. Now I am unsure whether I am just tricking myself. When people talk about the fact that headphones "need power" what does that actually mean? Because the Amp/DAC was driving the headphone to very high volumes already. Yet I think that the sound sounds better with the separate amp.
I am a bit lost because you read so much information where you don't really know what to believe (battery powered speaker cables/USB noise isolator etc..).
Are there any "scientific" explanations to my observation?
Sorry for the newbie question.
First, I suspect you're composing your post(s) on a small screen device.

I suggest you don't input a hard reset (enter, or "line change") on your device. Doing so formats your missives in a hard to read format, and won't be replied to.

Power for your phones? Trust the people that suggest what you need, or find out yourself.

Ultimately, find your own truth. Research everything.

Jan 31, 2022 at 12:02 AM Post #6,588 of 11,916
The tricky thing about looking for high/stable current amps for planars is

1) there are no reference points I could find for what is a good number (or indeed what the appropriate unit even is for current stability) to aim for to drive a particular headphone.

2) even if such a number was known for the Arya, headamp manufacturers don't put these numbers in their specs. So even with the conventional wisdom being what it is, pairing amps with headphones still feels like guesswork, though you can at least turn it into educated guesswork by reading lots of reviews and user impressions.
What I've learned from several years of experience: Generally speaking, tube amps are very good for voltage but fail at delivering current. Discrete Class A amps - and to a slightly lesser degree discrete Class AB amps - excel at passing both voltage and current, with Class A being able to deliver constant current easier than Class AB and both being better at it than tubes and the IC based amps I've tried. IC opamp based amps pass voltage well but many have problems when asked to supply extra or continuous current. IDK how well THX based amps do with supplying extra current - they are IC based after all, and the ones I've owned didn't quite cut it in the staging, 3D, bass, and naturalness departments compared to my discrete amps (I tried the A90, Monolith '887, and Schiit Magnius). Again, this is generally what I've heard - I don't know everything it is to know, and YMMV.

Feb 2, 2022 at 12:21 AM Post #6,594 of 11,916
I will say both make good complements! Started with the VC, then got an Arya and they work well together.
True but I just find the verite to more technically impressive than the arya. one thing I really liked about the VC is that vocals are in front of you rather than in your head like the the 64 audio u12t. Also bass is much better on the VC.

Feb 2, 2022 at 3:03 AM Post #6,595 of 11,916
I’ve owned the Verite Open Pheasantwood.
The Arya vs Verite is apples to oranges for sure.
If you can afford both then why not?

After going between Diana Phi and V2 vs Arya Stealth it’s giving me a 50/50 on whether to keep them.

They’re great headphones with a very pleasing sound. Very fun too. They’re impressive.

They’re a bit ‘plastic’ sounding and is exaggerated in its soundstaging.

I’m comparing it to my Diana Phi which is almost $3k more though. Which isn’t exactly natural itself but they sound more approximate to a live source IMO.
I’m sure someone can show me a better example though.

I’m kinda debating letting Arya V3 go to put money away but I’d miss them for sure.

Verite are a beautiful headphone inside and out. They need tubes though…

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #6,596 of 11,916
Yeah in any case with the Diana Phi or Verite you're comparing headphones $1,000 or (much) more than the Arya, and I can tell you that just because you might have the budget for the Arya does NOT always mean you can stretch it to a Verite. In other words, they aren't really close enough in price to be compared directly.

Feb 2, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #6,597 of 11,916
True but I just find the verite to more technically impressive than the arya. one thing I really liked about the VC is that vocals are in front of you rather than in your head like the the 64 audio u12t. Also bass is much better on the VC.
Do you eq?

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:01 PM Post #6,598 of 11,916
Do you eq?
I never equed the arya as I found the stock tonality very good plus whenever I tried equing the treble, the soundstage took a hit for one. I did eq the verite when I first got it. Just equed down the 5k peak but I really wasn't hearing it even with the eq off. So I use it with no eq now. I am actually the fan of the 3k dip, like I said earlier it has the effect of positioning the vocals in front, I really like that.

Feb 2, 2022 at 9:34 PM Post #6,599 of 11,916
I’ve owned the Verite Open Pheasantwood.
The Arya vs Verite is apples to oranges for sure.
If you can afford both then why not?

After going between Diana Phi and V2 vs Arya Stealth it’s giving me a 50/50 on whether to keep them.

They’re great headphones with a very pleasing sound. Very fun too. They’re impressive.

They’re a bit ‘plastic’ sounding and is exaggerated in its soundstaging.

I’m comparing it to my Diana Phi which is almost $3k more though. Which isn’t exactly natural itself but they sound more approximate to a live source IMO.
I’m sure someone can show me a better example though.

I’m kinda debating letting Arya V3 go to put money away but I’d miss them for sure.

Verite are a beautiful headphone inside and out. They need tubes though…

IMO, the arya V2 is significantly better than the Diana v2. Are you saying you can hear the plastic cups make noises, if not what does plastic sound like ? I'd like to see the cups made out of the material Audeze uses for their LCDX model. I think it would feel more premium and durable.

Feb 3, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #6,600 of 11,916
IMO, the arya V2 is significantly better than the Diana v2. Are you saying you can hear the plastic cups make noises, if not what does plastic sound like ? I'd like to see the cups made out of the material Audeze uses for their LCDX model. I think it would feel more premium and durable.
I think he means that the Arya v2's can sometimes have a type of "plasticky" or "synthetic" timbre. I noticed it when I paired it with IC based amps like the A90 and Monolith '887 - though when I used a discrete Class A amp it greatly improved the v2's timbre/signature.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back