Hifiman Ananda
May 27, 2021 at 7:59 AM Post #3,706 of 4,987
Not completely true. Beyers don't work with BHC no matter it's ohmage. I think it's thr Sennheiser 300 ohms that work so well with tubes.
Quoted from the BHC official product page (but of course in reality it's another experience) 🙂
"Crack is an output transformerless amp designed specifically for running higher impedance (200 ohms or higher) headphones like the many Sennheiser, AKG and Beyer designs."

May 27, 2021 at 8:06 AM Post #3,707 of 4,987
Quoted from the BHC official product page (but of course in reality it's another experience) 🙂
"Crack is an output transformerless amp designed specifically for running higher impedance (200 ohms or higher) headphones like the many Sennheiser, AKG and Beyer designs."
My bad, I meant to say DOESN'T WORK WELL with Beyers. Any headphone actually works, but they don't work well. This is based on hearing the headphones out the amp. I mostly don't care what manufacturers say.

ARE there AKGs with 200 ohms or higher? K701 is 63 ohms.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 8:09 AM Post #3,708 of 4,987
My bad, I meant to say DOESN'T WORK WELL with Beyers. Any headphone actually works, but not all work well. This is based on hearing the headphones out the amp. I mostly don't care what manufacturers say.

ARE there AKGs with 200 ohms or higher?
There used to be an old pair but it's hard to find, it's the K240 600 Ohms, now it's mostly the 55 Ohms version available

May 27, 2021 at 8:11 AM Post #3,709 of 4,987
May 27, 2021 at 8:13 AM Post #3,710 of 4,987
To be honest, I like the fast transients of Beyers out of solid-state and they seem to sound proper our of slid-state. Biggist gripe with Beyers is their tuning. Tonality is terrible. Sennheiser is a different story. The tubes work well. Particularly OTL with 300 ohm drivers. I wanted to point out that, it doesn't mean we should expect any high ohmage driver to work well with tubes.

So if Sennehiser 300 ohms is end-game or they are the headphone one is dedicated to. BHC makes much sense. If one has lots of headphones including planars, go solid-state.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #3,711 of 4,987
To be honest, I like the fast transients of Beyers out of solid-state and they seem to sound proper our of slid-state. Sennheiser is a different story. The tubes work well. Particularly OTL with 300 ohm drivers. I wanted to point out that, it doesn't mean we should expect any high ohmage driver to work well with tubes.
Agree đź‘Ť

May 27, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,712 of 4,987
I just ordered the Ananda. I was holding back because money's a bit tight, but then I saw they're on sale for about 520 USD (is this a good price?), and I dont want to regret missing the sale. Good thing my country is in a lockdown and we cant eat out for a while anyway. Hahaha.

I have the DV as well, but I don't think it's gonna pair well with the Ananda. Does the CTH impart the tubey sound to the Ananda?

Thanks for your reply!

Seeing that you're still keeping both, I guess they're both really good in their own ways and none is particularly better than the other.

I find that the treble on the D7200 is smooth and pleasant (I'm treble sensitive), with beautiful vocals although it can be shouty at times. Bass can be overwhelming on certain tracks, but when you want it to be there oh my god it sounds so good. I'm hoping the Ananda will be a nice complement to the D7200 rather than making it redundant because I really like the D7200.
Do you have a link for the Ananda at $520 ?

May 27, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #3,713 of 4,987
Normally OTL get hotter and release more electrons the higher the impedance linked to them and the more tubey the sound is. as a general rule.

May 27, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #3,714 of 4,987
Normally OTL get hotter and release more electrons the higher the impedance linked to them and the more tubey the sound is. as a general rule.
It should be hotter when the headphone or load impedance is lower than amp's impedance. Usually amps burn out when it's significant. Which is why for 4 ohm speakers you have to get amps that handle such low ohmage or it will overheat.

I think the OTL provides proper usage of distortion that fits well with Sennehisers. Like butter to steak. It examples that subjectively, distortion has benefits.

I don't know how many solid-states have the best THD measurements and sound sterile.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 8:22 AM Post #3,715 of 4,987
It should be hotter when the headphone or load impedance is lower than amp's impedance. Usually amps burn out when it's significant. Which is why for 4 ohm speakers you have to get amps that handle such low ohmage or it will overheat.

I think the OTL provides proper usage of distortion that fits well with Sennehisers. Like butter to steak. It examples that subjectively, distortion has benefits.
I meant that but didn't express it right but the higher the ohmage of the cans the more tubey and sweet the amp will be.

May 27, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #3,717 of 4,987
I finally joined the club!

GUiLlNz.jpg

May 27, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #3,720 of 4,987
For those who have experienced the Anandas on a OTL (specifically the DarkVoice) amp and didn't like it, I'm curious as to what you didn't like about it? Perhaps I'm missing something (understanding that we all have different tastes? The combo* works extremely well with these especially with the GE 5998 JAN and PSvane Cossor tubes (previously the Winged-C which held its own). FYI: Upstream, I'm running a Schiit Modius DAC and a home-built Rpi4-based (w/DigiOne HAT) streamer running Volumio. I use reasonably priced "audiophile" power cables throughout and a linear power supply for the DAC and streamer.

Thanks,
Marc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back