Hifiman Ananda
Jan 3, 2021 at 5:53 PM Post #2,956 of 4,987
Is it a common issue or only happened with your cans ?

I don’t know, I’ve only heard my pair of Anadas (bought in november and still getting used to them) and the demo unit for just an hour befor buying them. I only listened to classical while demoing them, though

If you think these cans are sibilant, I can't imagine what you would think of the HE400s.

The only Hifimans I’ve ever heard were Sundara & Ananada, while demoing them before purchase, just classical music, and didn’t experience any sibilance. The reason for buying them was to complement my Denon D7200, which I like for rock, blues and country, but lacks treble extension for classical and jazz. Of course, I couldn’t resist to try all kinds of music with my new headphones and this is how I encountered the sibilance issue.

Do you have the old or new version of the Ananda?
I suppose they are the new version.

EB149643-E9FF-43FF-BDBB-52ED7FD1695D.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #2,957 of 4,987
I don’t know, I’ve only heard my pair of Anadas (bought in november and still getting used to them) and the demo unit for just an hour befor buying them. I only lisened to classical while demoing them, though

The only Hifimans I’ve ever heard were Sundara & Ananada, while demoing them before purchase, just classical music, and didn’t experience any sibilance. The reason for buying them was to complement my Denon D7200, which I like for rock, blues and country, but lacks treble extension for classical and jazz. Of course, I couldn’t resist to try all kinds of music with my new headphones and this is how I encountered the sibilance issue.

I suppose they are the new version.

EB149643-E9FF-43FF-BDBB-52ED7FD1695D.jpeg
Looks like the new version

Jan 5, 2021 at 12:53 AM Post #2,958 of 4,987
I’ve owned my Anandas since August as
I must say that I quite like the EQ from Toneboosters Morphit (Ananda -> Studio Reference, maybe 60 - 90%). You should be able to test it for free: Morphit Download

Do you have the old or new version of the Ananda? As you can see in the attached screenshot the dampening has changed a bit since the early Ananda. This has quite the impact on the treble. Generally you can try to decrease the the treble a bit via EQ ( this really depends on preference I believe).

Anyone uses a Forza Claire HPC Mk2 with the Ananda or has some other recommendation (EU shipping)?
Me too. After 100+ hours of burn-in, Anandas show sibilance in most of vocal pop & rock records. Less so in classical vocal ones.

Hello,
I’ve owned my Anandas since August and easily have over 200+ hours on them. It took almost 150hrs to “come into their own” so to speak. I never thought of them as “sibilant”, but I do agree with most that it would be nice to have a bit more “impact”. For that I have the Kennerton.
BTW, I do not EQ and use both a tube and SS amps.

Post #1821 in this forum thread from Yeboyi had an EQ that might be helpful as it addressed much of what you are describing.

HTH,
Marc

Jan 5, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #2,959 of 4,987
My Ananda is arriving tomorrow 🤪🤪🤪

Jan 6, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #2,960 of 4,987
Anddddd here it is, just opened the box checked the contents and had a few listening minutes to make sure everything is working perfectly.
And WOW, I know it's still too early to judge but the last time a first run of a can gave me the wow factor was with the HD800S and this says
a lot and am thinking what on earth would the Arya feels like.
A very well spent $700 I would say.

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:21 AM Post #2,962 of 4,987
I've had my Anandas for over a year and am utterly confused by any talk of sibilance. It doesn't exist on them.

Sources used with the Anandas:
Fiio K5 Pro
Burson Play V6 Vivid
iBasso DX200

They're a very smooth pair of headphones.
Did you notice a sound change after burning ? how many hours normally ?

Jan 6, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #2,963 of 4,987
I've had my Anandas for over a year and am utterly confused by any talk of sibilance. It doesn't exist on them.

Sources used with the Anandas:
Fiio K5 Pro
Burson Play V6 Vivid
iBasso DX200

They're a very smooth pair of headphones.

I’m using K5 Pro as well, which drives the Anandas with ease. Perhaps the sibilance in my case is due to different drivers batches, or changes in the manufacturing process, who knows

Jan 6, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #2,964 of 4,987
Did you notice a sound change after burning ? how many hours normally ?

Honestly I simply listened to them for a long time so any burn-in would have been too gradual for me to perceive. They sounded fine out of the box and continued to sound good months later.

There could be some perceptual biases depending on what you've already heard or is in your collection for comparison.

I’m using K5 Pro as well, which drives the Anandas with ease. Perhaps the sibilance in my case is due to different drivers batches, or changes in the manufacturing process, who knows

I have no idea sorry. I don't mean to imply anything by this but when I'm stressed my treble sensitivity goes through the roof so that's a possibility. Alternatively it could be that your overall volume has been turned too high and since the Anandas are pretty mellow the perceived volume is lower than what is being produced, causing fatigue.

I plugged in my K5 Pro back in today and by way of comparison they're on minimum gain. The volume dial is only 75% of the way to 1200 (so way below max), source music is my laptop using the K5 Pro as "speakers" set to 100%.

Edit - I wouldn't feel comfortable turning them up higher.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2021 at 7:51 AM Post #2,965 of 4,987
Honestly I simply listened to them for a long time so any burn-in would have been too gradual for me to perceive. They sounded fine out of the box and continued to sound good months later.

There could be some perceptual biases depending on what you've already heard or is in your collection for comparison.

I have no idea sorry. I don't mean to imply anything by this but when I'm stressed my treble sensitivity goes through the roof so that's a possibility. Alternatively it could be that your overall volume has been turned too high and since the Anandas are pretty mellow the perceived volume is lower than what is being produced, causing fatigue.

I plugged in my K5 Pro back in today and by way of comparison they're on minimum gain. The volume dial is only 75% of the way to 1200 (so way below max), source music is my laptop using the K5 Pro as "speakers" set to 100%.

Edit - I wouldn't feel comfortable turning them up higher.
There’s no definite required burn in as i , just double checking as many owners recommend long burn in hours and report back a tonal change.

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:53 AM Post #2,966 of 4,987

Listening on medium gain; volume pot between 10 and 1 (close to 1 for classical, close to 10 for everything else).

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:39 AM Post #2,967 of 4,987
I’m trying a new amp this weekend. I ordered a liquid carbon x (second hand) and the Hart Audio cable kit. Honestly this was more of a positioning move for a ZMF purchase down the road. I’ve read they have great synergy.
My DAC/amp is a little warm already so we’ll see what kind of differences this amp offers. If nothing else I’ve heard planars like power.

Jan 6, 2021 at 9:43 AM Post #2,968 of 4,987
Can anyone compare the Anandas bass to that from Arya, HEK and HE-6? Had the Anandas for some time and really liked their tuning. If i won't like the Utopia for EDM i maybe need a second pair for EDM and consider the Ananda but i don't know if the other ones are better for that.

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,969 of 4,987
There’s no definite required burn in as i , just double checking as many owners recommend long burn in hours and report back a tonal change.

My Ananda sounded damn good right out of the box. There may have been some small improvement over time but I would not wait for some magical improvement to happen.

(This is quite the opposite to the Focal Elegia I once had. It sounded super bright with piercing treble with muddy bass out of the box and improved drastically over time.)

Jan 6, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #2,970 of 4,987
My Ananda sounded damn good right out of the box. There may have been some small improvement over time but I would not wait for some magical improvement to happen.

(This is quite the opposite to the Focal Elegia I once had. It sounded super bright with piercing treble with muddy bass out of the box and improved drastically over time.)
Exactly my first impressions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back