Hifiman Ananda
Nov 30, 2020 at 12:07 AM Post #2,866 of 4,987
I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between any two cables, but I can tell you that I can clearly tell the difference between my stock Ananda cable (crap) and my Periapt. The cables that came with my old 4xx was also better than the stock Ananda cable.
That’s purely marketing strategy, adding a matching quality cable would take the Ananda to another pricing category where it may lose its advantage.
my 2 cents

Nov 30, 2020 at 12:42 AM Post #2,867 of 4,987
I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between any two cables, but I can tell you that I can clearly tell the difference between my stock Ananda cable (crap) and my Periapt. The cables that came with my old 4xx was also better than the stock Ananda cable.

Run a blind test a few dozen times, with someone swapping back and forth between the cables while you are blindfolded, and see how often you get it right. My guess is that the number will be close to 50%. Until you do that, look up "confirmation bias".

Dec 1, 2020 at 1:47 PM Post #2,869 of 4,987
Good point. Perhaps if they were still priced at $999 they would be compelled to include a better quality cable.
Marc
Indeed !
But the more I read the more I discover the high probability of ending up with a faulty pair and a cheap looking 🎧 to the point that it’s clouding the good reviews about the Ananda sound which I admit is still hard to beat at this price point.

Dec 1, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #2,870 of 4,987
Just curious, what is the perfect Amp for Ananda?

I'm using the tempotec sonatra hd pro with laptop. I'm not sure if gets better amp can help the Ananda

PS, I also would like to know the Stax L and O compare with Ananda(I like the thin and detailed sound, prefer Neutral) I plan to upgrade to Stax system but they are Expensive to build. I can't go to the audition myself due to the Corona.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2020 at 10:45 AM Post #2,871 of 4,987
Run a blind test a few dozen times, with someone swapping back and forth between the cables while you are blindfolded, and see how often you get it right. My guess is that the number will be close to 50%. Until you do that, look up "confirmation bias".

For shiitz and giggles a buddy of mine performed such a test. My results were slightly better than his @ 97% vs. 89%. Still very decisive. L

I'm using the tempotec sonatra hd pro with laptop. I'm not sure if gets better amp can help the Ananda

PS, I also would like to know the Stax L and O compare with Ananda(I like the thin and detailed sound, prefer Neutral) I plan to upgrade to Stax system but they are Expensive to build. I can't go to the audition myself due to the Corona.

That’s an interesting question. I started my headphone journey with a DarkVoice amp, Schiit Modi 3, and HiFiman HE-4xx. I upgraded to the Ananda recently (August) to pair better with the tube-rolled DV and I’ve been extremely pleased with the result. The Ananda is sensitive and efficient for a planar so it works well with the tubes.

Out of curiosity, I upgraded to the Schiit Modiis/Magnius stack (balanced). It sounds very good - the extra power of the balanced side of the amp helps. So in short any high quality SS amp will work (Schiit, Topping, SMSL, THX, etc.).

HTH,
Marc

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:29 PM Post #2,873 of 4,987
I don’t own the Sundara, but demoed both last month before I bought Ananda. I found the former’s highs a bit rough and off-timbre when listening to classical instruments. Ananda was more cohesive and finer as a headphone for classical music. To me, Sundara is a good HP, but not at the same level than Ananda.

Dec 3, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2,874 of 4,987
I don’t own the Sundara, but demoed both last month before I bought Ananda. I found the former’s highs a bit rough and off-timbre when listening to classical instruments. Ananda was more cohesive and finer as a headphone for classical music. To me, Sundara is a good HP, but not at the same level than Ananda.
does the ananda handle rock and heavier music perfectly fine? vocals clear etc. I keep coming back to the ananda but unable to test them out.
I like 80s, rock , grunge, isolated vocals and acoustic music. my other choice is the lcd2c but it lacks details due to being darker.

Thanks

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #2,875 of 4,987
That’s purely marketing strategy, adding a matching quality cable would take the Ananda to another pricing category where it may lose its advantage.
my 2 cents

They could easily add $20 to the $6.29 they spend now and have a very fine cord, and eat all $20 w/o putting any real dent in their bottom line.

Of course HFM is well known for trash cables: HE-500, HEX v2, HE6se, etc.

Dec 3, 2020 at 8:14 PM Post #2,876 of 4,987
does the ananda handle rock and heavier music perfectly fine? vocals clear etc. I keep coming back to the ananda but unable to test them out.
I like 80s, rock , grunge, isolated vocals and acoustic music. my other choice is the lcd2c but it lacks details due to being darker.

Thanks

Ananda's are transparent, but lack bass impact and timbre. Setting the EQ doesn't fix it. If you like Steely Dan, Joe Jackson "Chinatown" and other clean and light pop gems with quick bass but missing the hammer - you are all set.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:52 AM Post #2,877 of 4,987
They could easily add $20 to the $6.29 they spend now and have a very fine cord, and eat all $20 w/o putting any real dent in their bottom line.

Of course HFM is well known for trash cables: HE-500, HEX v2, HE6se, etc.
Totally agree, an included moderately decent cable would compress all HFM discussion forums by half, a bit more QC and they will be all set 😊.

Dec 4, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #2,878 of 4,987

I tried the Ananda with my Violectric V90 and it rocks. Just received today a sale email from Violectric USA, maybe you should check them.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:08 AM Post #2,879 of 4,987
Gotta second this. Classical music on the Ananda, almost regardless of amp/dac, is spectacular. It's like hearing the orchestra from the perspective of the conductor, imaging is precise and staging is very accurate. With a warmer amp (I found a used WA6-SE, as recommended by someone earlier on this thread), I think it does rock and other vocal genres pretty well. Vocals especially need a little extra warmth on them, or else they sound a bit off to my ears.

Dec 4, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #2,880 of 4,987
Gotta second this. Classical music on the Ananda, almost regardless of amp/dac, is spectacular. It's like hearing the orchestra from the perspective of the conductor, imaging is precise and staging is very accurate. With a warmer amp (I found a used WA6-SE, as recommended by someone earlier on this thread), I think it does rock and other vocal genres pretty well. Vocals especially need a little extra warmth on them, or else they sound a bit off to my ears.
How does the Ananda handle bands such as Alice in Chains , breaking Benjamin, ACDC, do they sound thin, sibilant etc?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back