Hifiman Ananda
Nov 29, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,851 of 4,987
Hey, I have the Ananda as well, and am looking to get an HD800 to replace it. Could you tell me the similarities and differences you've noticed between these two headphones?
If you mean the HD800S then please update me once you will be able to AB it with the Ananda as am still debating what to get and the HD800S is on my radar as well as the Ananda.

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:09 PM Post #2,852 of 4,987
If you mean the HD800S then please update me once you will be able to AB it with the Ananda as am still debating what to get and the HD800S is on my radar as well as the Ananda.
Well, the 800S is really out of my budget at the moment, so I'm thinking of getting the older 800. But I will update you if I manage to get them and have the Ananda at the same time

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #2,853 of 4,987
Well, the 800S is really out of my budget at the moment, so I'm thinking of getting the older 800. But I will update you if I manage to get them and have the Ananda at the same time
Great Thanks

Nov 29, 2020 at 1:30 PM Post #2,854 of 4,987
Hey, I have the Ananda as well, and am looking to get an HD800 to replace it. Could you tell me the similarities and differences you've noticed between these two headphones?
Sure; they are both great headphones, although I prefer the Ananda. The Ananda does sound stage nearly as well as the HD800 and has better vertical imaging. I like the Ananda's bass far more (I do not EQ my headphones). The HD800 can sound sibilant in the treble depending on the song, whereas the Ananda has a silvery sparkle without being harsh. The Ananda has just as much detail if not more than the HD800. I also prefer the Ananda for instrument separation and picking out individual details. Comfort-wise I find both headphones to be very comfortable and have no problem wearing them all day. I listened to the Ananda for ~8 hours yesterday without any fatigue. The HD800 can be more fatiguing but depends on music selection.

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:06 PM Post #2,855 of 4,987
Sure; they are both great headphones, although I prefer the Ananda. The Ananda does sound stage nearly as well as the HD800 and has better vertical imaging. I like the Ananda's bass far more (I do not EQ my headphones). The HD800 can sound sibilant in the treble depending on the song, whereas the Ananda has a silvery sparkle without being harsh. The Ananda has just as much detail if not more than the HD800. I also prefer the Ananda for instrument separation and picking out individual details. Comfort-wise I find both headphones to be very comfortable and have no problem wearing them all day. I listened to the Ananda for ~8 hours yesterday without any fatigue. The HD800 can be more fatiguing but depends on music selection.
Good to hear, as I needed more time to save for the HD800S, what about the build quality of the Ananda ? does it feel cheap ? although I had bad luck with the beautifully crafted Focal Elear which Coil gave up after few hours of listening and ended up with a deaf support from Focal after multiple emails

Nov 29, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #2,856 of 4,987
Nov 29, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #2,857 of 4,987
Good to hear, as I needed more time to save for the HD800S, what about the build quality of the Ananda ? does it feel cheap ? although I had bad luck with the beautifully crafted Focal Elear which Coil gave up after few hours of listening and ended up with a deaf support from Focal after multiple emails
I wouldn't transport the Ananda outside of a hard, snug case, nor would I use them portably (they also leak sound more than any other headphone I have owned). I think they will be fine for desktop use as long as one does not purposefully abuse them. They don't feel particularly cheap to me, but I wouldn't let kids use them or be around them. These are nowhere near Abyss level headphone build quality :)

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #2,858 of 4,987
I wouldn't transport the Ananda outside of a hard, snug case, nor would I use them portably (they also leak sound more than any other headphone I have owned). I think they will be fine for desktop use as long as one does not purposefully abuse them. They don't feel particularly cheap to me, but I wouldn't let kids use them or be around them. These are nowhere near Abyss level headphone build quality :)
Maybe I should consider the Audeze LCD-2C in this case, the build quality and QC should weigh in somehow

Nov 29, 2020 at 3:57 PM Post #2,859 of 4,987
Well, The headband, yes. The cables, so-so. The rest is fine.
Cable wise, i can use the Focal cable. It's what I have left working from the Elear ;-(

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #2,860 of 4,987
Maybe I should consider the Audeze LCD-2C in this case, the build quality and QC should weigh in somehow

The build quality of the Audeze will definitely weigh in alright... heh. The weight on those things is too much for me for an all day headphone, so that is something to consider - the LCD2C weighs significantly more than the Ananda. So, while the construction is sturdier, this comes at a price. Some can deal with it just fine, many cannot...

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #2,861 of 4,987
The build quality of the Audeze will definitely weigh in alright... heh. The weight on those things is too much for me for an all day headphone, so that is something to consider - the LCD2C weighs significantly more than the Ananda. So, while the construction is sturdier, this comes at a price. Some can deal with it just fine, many cannot...
With weight put aside, sound wise what do you think ? lots of reviews out there but the Hifiman build and Quality control always bugs me

Nov 29, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #2,862 of 4,987
With weight put aside, sound wise what do you think ? lots of reviews out there but the Hifiman build and Quality control always bugs me

I personally prefer the Hifiman tuning, but this is a bit subjective. The Audeze house sound all has a similar target. It's a darker sound with a great seal and good bass extension (sometimes need a bit of EQ but will have much better impact than the Ananda). The 2C in particular is known for a bit more problems in the treble area, but if you are treble sensitive or listen to genres where this might be an issue (EDM, Metal), then you might appreciate this. Many people do extensive EQ'ing on these to balance them out a bit.

The only one I've tried was the LCD-GX personally. While the build quality was very rugged, I still consider them to be a somewhat fragile headphone. The seal is so good on these, you definitely have to be careful to not put too much pressure on the diaphragm. I've already mentioned the weight, which you said to ignore.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #2,863 of 4,987
I personally prefer the Hifiman tuning, but this is a bit subjective. The Audeze house sound all has a similar target. It's a darker sound with a great seal and good bass extension (sometimes need a bit of EQ but will have much better impact than the Ananda). The 2C in particular is known for a bit more problems in the treble area, but if you are treble sensitive or listen to genres where this might be an issue (EDM, Metal), then you might appreciate this. Many people do extensive EQ'ing on these to balance them out a bit.

The only one I've tried was the LCD-GX personally. While the build quality was very rugged, I still consider them to be a somewhat fragile headphone. The seal is so good on these, you definitely have to be careful to not put too much pressure on the diaphragm. I've already mentioned the weight, which you said to ignore.
That brings me back to the Ananda :xf_cool: as it seems to hit the best balance between sound, price and quality

Nov 29, 2020 at 11:56 PM Post #2,865 of 4,987
Anyone who actually thinks they can hear a difference between two cables, needs to do an internet search for "expectation bias", and then view this video...

I'm not sure if I can tell the difference between any two cables, but I can tell you that I can clearly tell the difference between my stock Ananda cable (crap) and my Periapt. The cables that came with my old 4xx was also better than the stock Ananda cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back