Hifiman Ananda
Nov 13, 2020 at 12:49 PM Post #2,821 of 4,987
The core of my eq:
980hz, -2db, Q 3.0
1200hz, +1.1db, Q 2.0
2000hz, +4db, Q 1.4
3000hz, -4db, Q 1.0

This pretty much fixes Ananda's problems to my ear. Timbre makes more sense, peakiness/harshness of vocals gone, electro instrument are more live. The bass is a different story. It depends on content, mood, loudness. I can even use 10 db bass shelf if i'm listening at low volumes. 10 db bass is pretty bad at high volumes. So what i recommend is follow your personal taste for bass. If you are listening at high volumes you don't need much. (see fletcher munson curve)

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #2,822 of 4,987
Got my Anandas last night and they sound pretty nice. I’m coming from CA Solaris 2020 so they don’t quite have the detail of the Solaris but I really am enjoying having headphones again. This new yoke system has me confused though. When I first put them on, the front of the cups didn‘t touch my head. The drivers are parallel but the pads are angled.. I had to do some bending to get the pads to sit neatly on my head. I have to say I’m not a bit fan of this design even if they are more robust because of it. But it’s okay now.
I have some adapters on the way so I can use my EA Leonidas cable with them, balanced out of my WM1Z as I think the stock cable is kind of dull sounding. Can I expect decent benefits from a quality silver cable?

Nov 21, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #2,823 of 4,987
A week later and a bit of adjustment to the difference and these Anandas are revolutionizing my set up. I will probably go for the Arya at some point to get the extra resolution but for now these are actually preferable to my Solaris 2020. The Anandas have a very natural tone and there isn't really anything lacking in terms of detail retrieval and the only thing I might prefer would be a little quicker "attack". But the smoothness is very compelling. Plus I am still waiting for my adapters so I canuse my 4.4mm cables and see what balanced sounds like out of the WM1Z, so really I expect to like these even more than I do.

The tone of the Solaris seems a bit brittle now.. Well done HiFiman... these are really great headphones.

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:53 AM Post #2,824 of 4,987
Love my Ananda. Can anyone recommend a nice headphone to complement it in the sub 500 price range? I'm thinking something a bit more dynamic and punchy as the Ananda can be a bit laid back. Can be open or closed.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2,825 of 4,987
Love my Ananda. Can anyone recommend a nice headphone to complement it in the sub 500 price range? I'm thinking something a bit more dynamic and lunch as the Ananda can be a bit laid back. Can be open or closed.
The best complement I have and recommend are Modhouse Argon mk2. They check a lot of boxes. Different/bassy signature, semi closed/open. It still has some great similarities - good soundstage, detail, comfort. Downside is that they're hard to come by, and harder to drive to sound their best.

Nov 21, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #2,827 of 4,987
Waiting for my new Ananda to arrive early next week!

Nov 21, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #2,830 of 4,987
I too own a pair of Anandas and, like many, opted to have a second pair of headphones to compliment its somewhat analytical nature. I purchased the Kennerton Vali. It’s presentation is very different being more V-shaped. Reproduction of percussions is impactful making some music quite engaging and "fun". Might I suggest their Magni which is closed back, I believe meets your criteria. The wood is nice too!

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 11:29 PM Post #2,831 of 4,987
I too own a pair of Amandas and, like many, opted to have a second pair of headphones to compliment its somewhat analytical nature. I purchased the Kennerton Vali. It’s presentation is very different being more V-shaped. Reproduction of percussions is impactful making some music quite engaging and "fun". Might I suggest their Magni which is closed back, I believe meets your criteria. The wood is nice too!
Could they copy Schiit any... more? Wow. Guess it can't be trademarked so whatever, lol.

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:00 AM Post #2,833 of 4,987
Am considering the Ananda after my Focal Elear died on 1 side lately, the Elear cable have 3.5mm 2-ways connectors on the headphone side while the Ananda have also 3.5m connectors on the headphone side but it's a 3-ways connector.
Will the Focal cable work with the Ananda ? if it does, then I don't need to order an upgrade cable for the Ananda.
Thanks

Nov 26, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #2,835 of 4,987
99% it will work so be patient and wait.
My 3.5mm cable works with Clear , Ananda and Sundara.
your cable headphones side connectors are the 2 pole or 3 pole ?
3 poles may cover for the 2 not the other way around and what’s the use of 3 poles on the Ananda cable ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back