Hifiman Ananda
Oct 18, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #2,791 of 4,987
sometimes silver cables have more 'sheen' in the treble, or even a bit elevated. That could make them sound bass shy. More than the impedance, I want to know the gauge of the cables.

When I go after market I usually go "Custom Cans" for my cables.
You maybe right. Because I hear both in comparison and with the silver cable more treble are in the foreground. Cute description: bass shy. The sound is warmer with the original cable. Everything but only heard with ibasso dx220 max and the chainsmokers and other.
I'm curious about this. I will probably test it out this week though silver cable will be used with balanced output of the amp so not gonna be apple vs apple since dac/amp primarily balanced design.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:25 PM Post #2,792 of 4,987
I'm curious about this. I will probably test it out this week though silver cable will be used with balanced output of the amp so not gonna be apple vs apple since dac/amp primarily balanced design.
The cable still sounds good in my ears and you will be satisfied especially for this price. I look forward to hearing your opinion.

Oct 18, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #2,793 of 4,987
Yes. I bought this cable with 4,4mm. It makes noises due to the rigid cable and the bass is less than the original cable.

I had the same experience, Ananda with the Lafricables silver, bass very shy .. With a Forza Claire HBC MK2 ... wouw, the Ananda Bass is massive.

DX220 and Paolo Conte, Alla Prese Con Una Verde ... or Sparing Partner,
the double bass :smiley: :beyersmile:

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #2,795 of 4,987
I think the Ananda is thin, even fragile sounding at times, honestly I would never run silver cable on it. I have a HEX v2 that's a bit thick, and lacking treble technicals, and that loves silver cable over copper. My HE-500 likewise is much better with copper, the stock silver plate cable is awesome in its brutality.

I never tested silver cable back in the day of 15' long speaker cables of 4 or 6 gauge (really big). In the headphone world its widely believed that silver and copper work out differently - but you have to watch out for letting the "word" dictate your judgement.

Oct 18, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #2,796 of 4,987
I think the Ananda is thin, even fragile sounding at times, honestly I would never run silver cable on it. I have a HEX v2 that's a bit thick, and lacking treble technicals, and that loves silver cable over copper. My HE-500 likewise is much better with copper, the stock silver plate cable is awesome in its brutality.

I never tested silver cable back in the day of 15' long speaker cables of 4 or 6 gauge (really big). In the headphone world its widely believed that silver and copper work out differently - but you have to watch out for letting the "word" dictate your judgement.

I agree. I had a silver dragon cable for my LCD 2, and it worked great for that HP. But the Ananda, definitely not. Copper is best.

Oct 25, 2020 at 2:14 AM Post #2,797 of 4,987
Hi,
I’ve ordered ananda and while waiting for it to arrive I’d like to ask your input on the following questions:
1) Can a potable amp like lotoo paw s1 drive it well?
2) If not, what would be the cheapest amp that can drive it to its full potential?
3) does upgrade to balance cable improve sound quality?
4)If stay with SE is the original cable good or should I buy new ones ?
thanks

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:20 AM Post #2,798 of 4,987
Hi,
I’ve ordered ananda and while waiting for it to arrive I’d like to ask your input on the following questions:
1) Can a potable amp like lotoo paw s1 drive it well?
2) If not, what would be the cheapest amp that can drive it to its full potential?
3) does upgrade to balance cable improve sound quality?
4)If stay with SE is the original cable good or should I buy new ones ?
thanks
A portable amp will be fine, it'll scale up abit with a dedicated amp but in a pinch portable will work well. Balanced is only better if the balanced section of an amp was designed differently, so dont worry about it until you get upper mid-range dedicated amps. The stock cable feels like a dry condom but it works.

Oct 25, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #2,799 of 4,987
A portable amp will be fine, it'll scale up abit with a dedicated amp but in a pinch portable will work well. Balanced is only better if the balanced section of an amp was designed differently, so dont worry about it until you get upper mid-range dedicated amps. The stock cable feels like a dry condom but it works.
Thanks! Yes I think the stock cable looks strange, and not sure why they provide two instead of an adaptor. I’m mainly worried about the quality of the cable, when I listened to it in a hifi shop, they pulled out the 3.5mm plug from one side, but the plug is broken so he only got half of the plug out, the rest remained in the headphone. Looks like the metal parts are glued to the green plastic part, when you use too much force it tears the plug into two parts. Anybody experience this during use?

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 7:20 AM Post #2,800 of 4,987
Thanks! Yes I think the stock cable looks strange, and not sure why they provide two instead of an adaptor. I’m mainly worried about the quality of the cable, when I listened to it in a hifi shop, they pulled out the 3.5mm plug from one side, but the plug is broken so he only got half of the plug out, the rest remained in the headphone. Looks like the metal parts are glued to the green plastic part, when you use too much force it tears the plug into two parts. Anybody experience this during use?
Wow no. It shouldn't happen. Even if i intentionally try to do that it's hard.

Oct 26, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #2,801 of 4,987
Really surprised the Apos Ensemble deal where the Ananda can be had for $579 hasn’t made much of a splash. My ensemble included the Topping E30 and L30, both of which I had purchased earlier. Other dacs and amps are available.

Nov 5, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #2,802 of 4,987
Hey everyone! I’ve been reading this thread on and off for the past month from page 1 all the way to here and finally caught up tonight. I purchased my Ananda’s in February used off amazon ($450-500? I forget how much exactly) and just wanted to chime in that I love them and the Hifiman sound signature. They’re my go-to all rounder cans, and recently I got the Aeon 2 closed which compliment them nicely for when I want a thicker and warmer sound.

I haven’t heard the he500 or any other hifiman aside from the 400i and sundara but I’ll take everyone’s word on how equally good (or better) they sound vs the Ananda. I don’t have issues with the treble but at times I understand the soft and thin labels it has been given. Perhaps I’ll write a review of my opinions in the future, but I’d have to take a look at the glossary to make sure I’m wording it correctly, and for now I just want to chill. :)

I will say that I want to hear the he500 or 5xx at least once to compare, but I vastly prefer the comfort of the eggs to the round hifimans.

Nov 6, 2020 at 1:40 PM Post #2,803 of 4,987
Hello all. I have question. I think my Anandas sound thin in the sub bass region. I use a Hifiman dap (HM-650) with a mini box gold card. There are no tone adjustments on that unit. I'm thinking of adding a Duoo XD-05 Plus. Will that be a good fit with the Anandas? Will it give me the sub bass growl I'm looking for? I'm satisfied with the bass slam by the way.

Nov 6, 2020 at 4:13 PM Post #2,804 of 4,987
Hello all. I have question. I think my Anandas sound thin in the sub bass region. I use a Hifiman dap (HM-650) with a mini box gold card. There are no tone adjustments on that unit. I'm thinking of adding a Duoo XD-05 Plus. Will that be a good fit with the Anandas? Will it give me the sub bass growl I'm looking for? I'm satisfied with the bass slam by the way.
If you use pc with eq apo i can share my eq. Other than that Ifi products have nice bass boost button which works nice with this type of headphones.

Nov 7, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #2,805 of 4,987
If you use pc with eq apo i can share my eq. Other than that Ifi products have nice bass boost button which works nice with this type of headphones.

I don't have a pc but would love to know your eq settings! I've been playing around a lot with the bass eq and have been trying to decide on something. It's definitely a much different presentation of bass from my D7200s and iems (feels faster and more authoritative and with eq, quantity is not an issue, but at the same time, a bit less fun?). I'm trying to figure out how much of that is tuning related.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back