Hifiman Ananda
Jul 5, 2020 at 12:43 PM Post #2,221 of 4,987
I've just tried the Ananda with my shtty smartphone. However it kinda sound like more 3D with very good depth. It sounds more stereo like but fuller on my soundcard. Probably placebo though. Didn't listen it much and didn't do ab comparison. Audiophile world really needs good information about dac amps. Especially amps. There are too much debates and people can't even notice difference in volume matched comparisons.

Jul 5, 2020 at 8:03 PM Post #2,222 of 4,987
I've just tried the Ananda with my shtty smartphone. However it kinda sound like more 3D with very good depth. It sounds more stereo like but fuller on my soundcard. Probably placebo though. Didn't listen it much and didn't do ab comparison. Audiophile world really needs good information about dac amps. Especially amps. There are too much debates and people can't even notice difference in volume matched comparisons.
True that many "regular people" (as opposed to us, who care about better quality), can't tell the difference between the sound of different amps when volume matched, but when the volume is turned up the more powerful amps tend to keep their composure at higher levels, IMO. With more powerful amps and at high volume (in general), there is less distortion, cleaner bass and mids, and the treble remains smoother with less shrillness. That's called 'amplifier headroom'. Many "regular people" can tell the difference then, and in that sense amps can sound very different. Just my experience, may not be for all people.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 12:21 AM Post #2,223 of 4,987
I strongly recommend DT 1990 for those genres. Ananda is slow/sloppy compared to 1990. ''quite busy parts (lots of instruments at once, distorted guitar + cymbals) '' 1990 resolve those gloriously while Ananda...
To provide another opinion on 1990 vs Ananda: I also agree the 1990 retrieves more detail in the mids and treble. E.g. with dt1990, you can hear and almost visualize every vibration made by a cymbal - with the Ananda you got the cymbal but less of it, i.e. HD vs 4k to use a different analogy.
But I didn't find the increased detail on 1990 increased my enjoyment of music - rather, I found I enjoyed the technical performance of the 1990 more than for it's own sake, than the music's. Where the Ananda was more accurate imho was the bass: the 1990 is louder bass but decays a lot slower in the bass frequencies, and seems boomy in comparison (but only in comparison). I am a bass head, so I'm not exactly saying I prefer the Anandas bass - it's lighter than I want - but I also appreciate it technically.
I like both the 1990 and Ananda.
The detail retrieval imho is the 1999s main strength. The Ananda has better instrument separation even in busy passages and overall is more interesting to listen to music for me. Neither however creates a strong bond with the lyrics/singer for me. The LCD2C was better in that respect.

Jul 6, 2020 at 6:05 AM Post #2,224 of 4,987
To provide another opinion on 1990 vs Ananda: I also agree the 1990 retrieves more detail in the mids and treble. E.g. with dt1990, you can hear and almost visualize every vibration made by a cymbal - with the Ananda you got the cymbal but less of it, i.e. HD vs 4k to use a different analogy.
But I didn't find the increased detail on 1990 increased my enjoyment of music - rather, I found I enjoyed the technical performance of the 1990 more than for it's own sake, than the music's. Where the Ananda was more accurate imho was the bass: the 1990 is louder bass but decays a lot slower in the bass frequencies, and seems boomy in comparison (but only in comparison). I am a bass head, so I'm not exactly saying I prefer the Anandas bass - it's lighter than I want - but I also appreciate it technically.
I like both the 1990 and Ananda.
The detail retrieval imho is the 1999s main strength. The Ananda has better instrument separation even in busy passages and overall is more interesting to listen to music for me. Neither however creates a strong bond with the lyrics/singer for me. The LCD2C was better in that respect.
Terms are so mixed. I think Ananda is much more detailed headphone but it does it effortlessly and make you feel like it's less detailed. You can hear subtle details easily. DT 1990 have better transients and dynamics which makes it sound like higher resolution and plays better with rock. I felt Ananda sound more congested and compressed, 1990 sound more distinct and less muted due to treble peak and more air above 10k. 1990 is a beast if you wanna rock'n roll. Also 1990 plays very nice at high volumes. Ananda falls apart a bit. 1990 gets better and better while you increase the volume.

What i meant with ''distinct'': when you play fast, energetic and congested songs 1990 sound more distinct, Ananda sound more compressed but with less busy songs Ananda's soundstage and distinction is clearly better.

edit: Overal picture with busy songs is that 1990 hits every detail to your ears with good impact and dynamics, Ananda makes it a cloudy mess. Of course i'm exaggerating it to be more understandable. I personally love Ananda and prefer it over 1990 but every headphone have different strengths, weaknesses and flavours.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 11:04 AM Post #2,225 of 4,987
This is also one of the reasons on why I'm hesitant to go with HiFiMan. I've read a horror story on Amazon that shows this exact issue causing scarring on the driver. I'm not sure how reliable customer service is if I do encounter issues.
I take a chance on Hifiman because of sound quality and overall value. I just factor in the cost of an extended warranty and dealing with authorized vendors. Not wise to shop used unless the person/entity takes refunds or offers a warranty.

Jul 6, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #2,226 of 4,987
I take a chance on Hifiman because of sound quality and overall value. I just factor in the cost of an extended warranty and dealing with authorized vendors. Not wise to shop used unless the person/entity takes refunds or offers a warranty.
I have a credit card I recently learned adds 2 years of warranty to all purchases. Regrettably I didn't realize that when I bought my Ananda but did order a lot of my Schiit on that card. Worth looking into.

Jul 6, 2020 at 12:46 PM Post #2,227 of 4,987
I used my stimulus check to purchase the Anandas with some trepidation as the HE-400's were disappointing. Heavy, muddy bass. etc. I actually got my AKG K702's out of retirement and after about 10 minutes the HE-400's were retired. So when I did some research and almost every review of the best headphones under $1000 were the Ananda's and the price had come down to $699. So I got them and they are the best headphones I've ever heard. They never stop amazing me. Rock, jazz, classical all blew me away. My advice to every headphone listening person is unless you're wealthy, is snatch these babies up. If you can afford the mega buck electrostatics, I'm sure they are superior. The $50,000 Sennheiser HE-1 are probably the best headphones ever made. All you have to do is give Sennheiser 10 grand, non-refundable of course, and they will build them for you. I heard 6 months. For me is I was like a car enthusiast admiring a 2 million dollar Ferrari. But I digress. The only thing that was a little disappointing was the cables are on the cheap side. Sure they sound OK, but they are a little flimsy and it's easy to kink they so I tapped they to tiny pillow about 8 inches from my amp(Headroom Micro Amp) so they cables can't kink near the plug. I've researched after market cables and I really like the Moon Audio Black Dragon. Only $450. If anyone reading this knows of a a good cable, please let me know.
Thanks and good listening.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #2,229 of 4,987
I used my stimulus check to purchase the Anandas with some trepidation as the HE-400's were disappointing. Heavy, muddy bass. etc. I actually got my AKG K702's out of retirement and after about 10 minutes the HE-400's were retired. So when I did some research and almost every review of the best headphones under $1000 were the Ananda's and the price had come down to $699. So I got them and they are the best headphones I've ever heard. They never stop amazing me. Rock, jazz, classical all blew me away. My advice to every headphone listening person is unless you're wealthy, is snatch these babies up. If you can afford the mega buck electrostatics, I'm sure they are superior. The $50,000 Sennheiser HE-1 are probably the best headphones ever made. All you have to do is give Sennheiser 10 grand, non-refundable of course, and they will build them for you. I heard 6 months. For me is I was like a car enthusiast admiring a 2 million dollar Ferrari. But I digress. The only thing that was a little disappointing was the cables are on the cheap side. Sure they sound OK, but they are a little flimsy and it's easy to kink they so I tapped they to tiny pillow about 8 inches from my amp(Headroom Micro Amp) so they cables can't kink near the plug. I've researched after market cables and I really like the Moon Audio Black Dragon. Only $450. If anyone reading this knows of a a good cable, please let me know.
Thanks and good listening.
I went with the NeoMusica $25 single ended cable from the Amazon store. Well built, looks good, fits well, doesn't kink easily, comes with a lifetime warranty. I have not gone down the headphone cable rabbit hole.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #2,230 of 4,987
I went with the NeoMusica $25 single ended cable from the Amazon store. Well built, looks good, fits well, doesn't kink easily, comes with a lifetime warranty. I have not gone down the headphone cable rabbit hole.
They make a balanced one also, I believe.

Jul 6, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #2,231 of 4,987
I have a credit card I recently learned adds 2 years of warranty to all purchases. Regrettably I didn't realize that when I bought my Ananda but did order a lot of my Schiit on that card. Worth looking into.
Can you give a name? I've been getting the Asurion 3yr warranty from Amazon.

Jul 6, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #2,232 of 4,987
If any of you people out there know of a good cable for the Ananda's that don't cost over half of what I paid for them, please let me know.
Thanks

Hi,

I just received my cables from Audioverse today.
I checked again, the shop also delivers worldwide, don't think that should be such high shipping costs, and the cables are really made in super quality! :)

https://audioverse.de/

Edit for two Pics:

IMG_0720.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

What I forgot:
The cables as you see them cost € 115

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #2,234 of 4,987
Can you give a name? I've been getting the Asurion 3yr warranty from Amazon.
The card I was referring to was the Citi Prestige MasterCard, which has an annual fee to factor in.
A variety of cards have offered a warranty benefit over the years, even some cards without annual fees. Here is a article listing some cards, but Googling the phrase "credit card with warranty benefit" will yield lots of options: https://awardwallet.com/blog/best-credit-cards-extended-warranty-coverage/

The warranty benefit is becoming less common from what I can tell. Oh and before someone on here gets snarky about my Citi Prestige card having a huge annual fee making it not worth the warranty benefit, I didn't even know the warranty benefit existed on this card until recently. My cost/benefit analysis of the card was a net gain without that benefit. It's just icing on the cake, especially when applied to the HiFi hobby.

Jul 6, 2020 at 3:09 PM Post #2,235 of 4,987

If you believe there is no difference in amps, get the cheapest one that drives the Ananda to full volume, and be done.

Amps can sound alike, slightly different or very different. I'd suggest an amp-off, but I would insist on better headphones to demonstrate my POV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back