Hifiman Ananda
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:28 PM Post #1,561 of 4,987
Interestingly enough, they are $699 (again) via Hifiman's Black Friday deal starting on 11/25. Seen on Hifiman's store and on Amazon.

When is the price on the Arya going to buckle under $1200? Black Friday or New Year. In a year $999 - that's the Ananda to wait for if you have something good at home....

Nov 25, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #1,562 of 4,987
Well good, this thread was pretty dead for awhile. It's not my favorite, but its not junk - compared to everything out there. Better than almost every German can outside of Sennheiser.

sibilant? Sibilant is a sub category of bright, I don't think they are nasty sibilant, a bit, but they are bright - no doubt.

If my HEX v2 and the Ananda (heard two different ones 3 times total) are working properly than I can't see how anyone says that they are largely similar. Similar in soundstage, similar upper bass -> lower mids - yup. Not really anywhere else.

Both of them are much closer to even on frequency response than the LCD-2.

Ananda is the "accurate" one of the three - accurate as in "solid state", bright, forward, "digital". Not for me.

HEX is the most coherent from top to bottom, lacks some dynamics, soft detail w/ even order harmonics "tube hybrid", "magnepan 1 in a headphone" "analog". Absolute "pissa" early morning, late night can.

LCD-2 heavy bass, like being in a bass drum - overdone IMO. very mild top end over 10 kHz (too soft), big big dip in the upper mids/lower mids. "tubes (not hybrid)", syrupy, not as coherent as the HEX, can

The HEX is closer in mood to the LCD-2 IMO, but, its not that close.
For me, I just wish LCD2 had good amount of upper-mids presence. That's all I ask for. Maybe Santa would provide this Christmas. With LCD-1 they can bump up the upper-mids, but they decided to not keep to bass up. Why not best of both worlds on a single headphone?

Nov 25, 2019 at 4:52 PM Post #1,563 of 4,987
Hey and good evening. :)

First of all many thanks for the detailed and helpful feedback.

Now I just bit the "sour apple" and got both headphones. :D The Ananda from the dealer (1 week to test) and bought the HEX V2 used from someone :wink: (incl. warranty).
So now I can compare the trio of LCD-2 Classic, Ananda and HEX V2 - I will report soon!

I already picked up Ananda today:
Without already getting into details... after the first hearing tests I like the Ananda with its tuning much more than the LCD-2 Classic. Independent of the much better wearing comfort than the Audeze!

Greetings!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #1,564 of 4,987

Now I just bit the "sour apple" and got both headphones. :D The Ananda from the dealer (1 week to test) and bought the HEX V2 used from someone :wink: (incl. warranty).
So now I can compare the trio of LCD-2 Classic, Ananda and HEX V2 - I will report soon!

Without already getting into details... after the first hearing tests I like the Ananda with its tuning much more than the LCD-2 Classic. Independent of the much better wearing comfort than the Audeze!

Greetings!
I look forward to reading your comparison between the Ananda and HEX V2.

Nov 25, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #1,565 of 4,987
I look forward to reading your comparison between the Ananda and HEX V2.

not an expert on detailed Ananda set-up, but the HEX v2 - yup: get those Dekoni Nuggets and spend time getting the cans centered over your ear canal (best imaging and best treble detail). Stock cable is rubbish, get a silver plated or pure silver cable. Get something used, just get something else. i have a pair of Cardas Artic Cable (OFC copper) for 2.5mm pins that are decent, and I'll sell them cheap.

Nov 25, 2019 at 8:46 PM Post #1,566 of 4,987
Just a note on my tastes. I grew up with live acoustic music in great halls, and a pair of Quad ESL 57's. Hated JBL 100's, Bose 901, anything false. Hated digital for 35 years. I'd estimate > 95% of people here have heard more recorded music as a % than I have.

I've seen people cuddle up with 770's and think they are great and natural. They give me an instant headache. If you like the HFM 560 and Ananda - probably shouldn't listen to me. Double if its the 770, Grado 60, or cheap AKG's.

Add: I'm a soundstage, coherance, first guy. Dynamics are less important. Witness the 10+ planar loudspeakers I've owned.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2019 at 1:51 AM Post #1,568 of 4,987

Greetings!

Congratulations - what an excellent solution to the quandry!! Looking forward to reading your opinion on them both!

Nov 26, 2019 at 1:52 AM Post #1,569 of 4,987
Just a note on my tastes. I grew up with live acoustic music in great halls, and a pair of Quad ESL 57's. Hated JBL 100's, Bose 901, anything false. Hated digital for 35 years. I'd estimate > 95% of people here have heard more recorded music as a % than I have.

I've seen people cuddle up with 770's and think they are great and natural. They give me an instant headache. If you like the HFM 560 and Ananda - probably shouldn't listen to me. Double if its the 770, Grado 60, or cheap AKG's.

This simple statement of your background and preference marks you out as someone whose opinion I would greatly value, whether it aligns with my own or not.

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:23 AM Post #1,570 of 4,987
Keep an eye on kennerton as well. I bet there is more hidden gems but the magni totally solved what frustrates me with the ananda. I like it but it has no dynamics at all due to whats been called planar compression? The soundwaves cancel themselves out on these large drivers when trying to create higher spl:s? Just a theory from a layman correct me but do not hang me :)

With dynamics I mean pianissimo to fortissimo. The magni digs deeper it feel likes but is on the other hand not as extended in the treble. Both have beautiful sound delivered in different ways :)

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:30 AM Post #1,571 of 4,987
Keep an eye on kennerton as well. I bet there is more hidden gems but the magni totally solved what frustrates me with the ananda. I like it but it has no dynamics at all due to whats been called planar compression? The soundwaves cancel themselves out on these large drivers when trying to create higher spl:s? Just a theory from a layman correct me but do not hang me :)

With dynamics I mean pianissimo to fortissimo. The magni digs deeper it feel likes but is on the other hand not as extended in the treble. Both have beautiful sound delivered in different ways :)

Maybe you should try Sundara, can be more visceral than Ananda

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:41 AM Post #1,572 of 4,987
Hello everyone!

I had promised that I would give a feedback after comparing the HEX V2 with the Ananda and my previous LCD-2 Classic.

I must say all three are very strong headphones for me. HEX V2 and Ananda don't differ as much as the two Hifiman models compared to the LCD-2 Classic. There are noticeable differences between the Hifiman and the Audeze both in the workmanship (the Audeze is a tank!) as well as in the wearing comfort and also in the sound tuning. I'll get to the sound right away - Hifiman is now on the right track with its workmanship - but Audeze is definitely still a long way ahead. The high-quality cable connections, the generally higher quality cable, the haptics overall, the bulky and super soft headphone pads, that many metal which is used - that's how Audeze is made! But also Hifiman did much better with the HEX V2 and Ananda than with the predecessors I still know (HE-560 e.g. -> plastic bracket).
The wearing comfort was never a problem for me with the Audeze, not even after a long time. The ear pads are extremely comfortable and I could hear for several hours without any problems. Nevertheless it is a relief to put on the Hifiman models. With the HEX V2 it was even so that one does not notice these any more after one has put on these. Due to the other headband of the Ananda this positive effect was unfortunately missing - but also this is nevertheless extremely comfortable.

The LCD-2 Classic is the clearly "darkest" (warmest) of the three tuned headphones. Well, I reckoned with that - however, during the intensive listening comparisons that I have been through for several days now, I perceived it as very positive that the two Hifiman models play so much more neutrally than the Audeze. Regarding the warmth I would classify them in the following order: LCD-2 Classic, HEX V2, Ananda.

With the bass the three candidates also differ noticeably. The LCD-2 Classic has a nice low bass, but doesn't make it as far into the basement as the HEX V2. The Ananda even manages a touch deeper than the HEX V2. Impressively good! HEX V2 and especially the LCD-2 Classic have noticeably more upper bass at the same time, whereas the Ananda is less present there. This is a matter of taste and also has advantages/disadvantages depending on the style of music. :)
So the HEX V2 can give you even more punch on "Devils Souls by Dirty Monster" - which also goes very well with the song.

As far as the qualitative representation in the high frequency segment is concerned, all three candidates are very good. The LCD-2 Classic also manages to reproduce many details clearly with its warm tuning. However, it lacks some lightness, openness and stage in comparison to the HEX V2 and the Ananda.
Over time I paid less and less attention to the LCD-2 Classic and it became clear that it would choose between HEX V2 and the Ananda.
By the way: None of the models mentioned shows problems with sibilant/ hissing sounds.

In the end, the decision was made in favour of the Ananda. But why?
If you first heard a song with the HEX V2, then quickly switched to the Ananda (same volume of course assumed) it took only a few milliseconds and you immediately thought "ok, all right - that's it". the little bit more openness, spaciousness and also the richer tuning in the low bass as well as the generally more neutral tuning were immediately more sympathetic to me.

What convinced me less about the Hifiman models compared to the Audeze were the enclosed cables. They simply don't make a good impression haptically and the way the cable is twisted regularly is also very unattractive. The cable of the Audeze LCD-2 Classic plays in a completely different league.

In the end it is of course also a matter of taste. For me the Ananda is definitely the winner when it comes to the overall package:
Very good wearing comfort, unbelievably open playing style, nice three-dimensionality, great separation, clean deep bass and creates a wonderful atmosphere - simply a great headphone and at the current retail price of 799€ (instead of 999€) currently a real challenge to the competition.

A few more examples/words about Ananda on various songs:

Listen to the song "Mado Kara Mieru" by "Christopher Tin, Kaori Amura, Lia, Aoi Tada (Album Calling All Dawns) on Ananda. And that from 0:00 - 1:24. The Ananda places the individual instruments at different positions in an unbelievably open and finely resolved way. In the further course the song unfortunately loses sound quality (tends to overdrive). :wink:

Another classic recommendation:
"Dragon Age Inquisition Theme" by Travor Morris. Incredibly strong atmosphere that this song builds on the Ananda. With rich and fat bass beats and a always dramatically built up sound scenery which is a lot of fun.

"Wicked Winds" by Mazde:
Already at 0:16 a glittering effect starts which is reproduced wonderfully clear with the Ananda. Further very high-frequency tones follow in the song - without annoying and at the same time clearly reproduced. The drop at 1:09 is followed by a series of ups and downs (deep rich bass and many effects). So the whole thing is fun!

"Seeker" by Hiromi, Simon Phillips, Anthony Jackson:
The first 60 seconds you get a great piano intro conjured up on your ears, followed by a crisp drum entry + simultaneous bass support. Especially the first two minutes should serve as an example - afterwards the song becomes a bit chaotic, but still good! :wink:

"Mount Everest" by Labrinth:
Whoa, what a crazy and brilliant song! It starts very chilly and then gets more and more crazy! :wink:
From 0:32 the low bass starts and accompanies the screeching voice. From 1:04 the clear and superficial voice of Labrinth sounds and blends perfectly into the sound of the song. From 1:51 the crazy takes its course - at first it sounds disturbing but in general also somehow brilliant at the same time!

The Ananda would be the "perfect" headphone for me (of course considering the price) if it got the headband from the V2 and the cable from the LCD-2 Classic.
But even without that this is a great headphone! :wink:

Many greetings - wish you a nice week!

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #1,573 of 4,987
Hello everyone!

I had promised that I would give a feedback after comparing the HEX V2 with the Ananda and my previous LCD-2 Classic.

I must say all three are very strong headphones for me. HEX V2 and Ananda don't differ as much as the two Hifiman models compared to the LCD-2 Classic. There are noticeable differences between the Hifiman and the Audeze both in the workmanship (the Audeze is a tank!) as well as in the wearing comfort and also in the sound tuning. I'll get to the sound right away - Hifiman is now on the right track with its workmanship - but Audeze is definitely still a long way ahead. The high-quality cable connections, the generally higher quality cable, the haptics overall, the bulky and super soft headphone pads, that many metal which is used - that's how Audeze is made! But also Hifiman did much better with the HEX V2 and Ananda than with the predecessors I still know (HE-560 e.g. -> plastic bracket).
The wearing comfort was never a problem for me with the Audeze, not even after a long time. The ear pads are extremely comfortable and I could hear for several hours without any problems. Nevertheless it is a relief to put on the Hifiman models. With the HEX V2 it was even so that one does not notice these any more after one has put on these. Due to the other headband of the Ananda this positive effect was unfortunately missing - but also this is nevertheless extremely comfortable.

The LCD-2 Classic is the clearly "darkest" (warmest) of the three tuned headphones. Well, I reckoned with that - however, during the intensive listening comparisons that I have been through for several days now, I perceived it as very positive that the two Hifiman models play so much more neutrally than the Audeze. Regarding the warmth I would classify them in the following order: LCD-2 Classic, HEX V2, Ananda.

With the bass the three candidates also differ noticeably. The LCD-2 Classic has a nice low bass, but doesn't make it as far into the basement as the HEX V2. The Ananda even manages a touch deeper than the HEX V2. Impressively good! HEX V2 and especially the LCD-2 Classic have noticeably more upper bass at the same time, whereas the Ananda is less present there. This is a matter of taste and also has advantages/disadvantages depending on the style of music. :)
So the HEX V2 can give you even more punch on "Devils Souls by Dirty Monster" - which also goes very well with the song.

As far as the qualitative representation in the high frequency segment is concerned, all three candidates are very good. The LCD-2 Classic also manages to reproduce many details clearly with its warm tuning. However, it lacks some lightness, openness and stage in comparison to the HEX V2 and the Ananda.
Over time I paid less and less attention to the LCD-2 Classic and it became clear that it would choose between HEX V2 and the Ananda.
By the way: None of the models mentioned shows problems with sibilant/ hissing sounds.

If you first heard a song with the HEX V2, then quickly switched to the Ananda (same volume of course assumed) it took only a few milliseconds and you immediately thought "ok, all right - that's it". the little bit more openness, spaciousness and also the richer tuning in the low bass as well as the generally more neutral tuning were immediately more sympathetic to me.

What convinced me less about the Hifiman models compared to the Audeze were the enclosed cables. They simply don't make a good impression haptically and the way the cable is twisted regularly is also very unattractive. The cable of the Audeze LCD-2 Classic plays in a completely different league.

In the end it is of course also a matter of taste. For me the Ananda is definitely the winner when it comes to the overall package:
Very good wearing comfort, unbelievably open playing style, nice three-dimensionality, great separation, clean deep bass and creates a wonderful atmosphere - simply a great headphone and at the current retail price of 799€ (instead of 999€) currently a real challenge to the competition.

Listen to the song "Mado Kara Mieru" by "Christopher Tin, Kaori Amura, Lia, Aoi Tada (Album Calling All Dawns) on Ananda. And that from 0:00 - 1:24. The Ananda places the individual instruments at different positions in an unbelievably open and finely resolved way. In the further course the song unfortunately loses sound quality (tends to overdrive). :wink:

"Dragon Age Inquisition Theme" by Travor Morris. Incredibly strong atmosphere that this song builds on the Ananda. With rich and fat bass beats and a always dramatically built up sound scenery which is a lot of fun.

"Wicked Winds" by Mazde:
Already at 0:16 a glittering effect starts which is reproduced wonderfully clear with the Ananda. Further very high-frequency tones follow in the song - without annoying and at the same time clearly reproduced. The drop at 1:09 is followed by a series of ups and downs (deep rich bass and many effects). So the whole thing is fun!

The first 60 seconds you get a great piano intro conjured up on your ears, followed by a crisp drum entry + simultaneous bass support. Especially the first two minutes should serve as an example - afterwards the song becomes a bit chaotic, but still good! :wink:

Whoa, what a crazy and brilliant song! It starts very chilly and then gets more and more crazy! :wink:
From 0:32 the low bass starts and accompanies the screeching voice. From 1:04 the clear and superficial voice of Labrinth sounds and blends perfectly into the sound of the song. From 1:51 the crazy takes its course - at first it sounds disturbing but in general also somehow brilliant at the same time!

The Ananda would be the "perfect" headphone for me (of course considering the price) if it got the headband from the V2 and the cable from the LCD-2 Classic.

Nice review. Try the LCD-2C with Dekoni Velour pada and compare the 3 again.

Dec 2, 2019 at 9:09 AM Post #1,574 of 4,987
Hello everyone!

"Wicked Winds" by Mazde:

Great comparison. After meeting up with friends this weekend and comparing the LCD2 to the LCDX, I think the Ananda compares more in signature to the LCDX. I'm not saying they are similar, just that the LCDX sounds more (bigger soundstage) and has more treble energy than the LCD2. Fort me, after hearing the LCDX, I prefer it over the LCD2.

Dec 2, 2019 at 12:45 PM Post #1,575 of 4,987
Hello everyone!

"Wicked Winds" by Mazde:

Really nice review and it seems like you’re having a blast with your new headphone collection, good for you. : )

That’s a really fun music collection you posted and I started checking it out. Have you tried the EA Games Collection? It’s really fun. Are you into the Narada stuff? I love this stuff. David Lanz on the paino, Enya, Enigma, etc, are all a really good time in my book. I’m digging the newer stuff too like Billie Eilish Ocean Eyes, Copycat, etc. Classical like Bach and Pachelbel are really enjoyable on these headphones too and I like doing A / B comparisons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back