Hifiman Ananda
Nov 24, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #1,546 of 4,987
[QUOTE="bagwell359, post: 15325552, member: 462884"...The HEX v2 is clearly the most different sounding headphones of their entire line from the HE-4, HE5LE, HE-6, HEX v1/v2/SE, the Ananda is much closer to the house sound such as the: 560 and HEX v1.[/QUOTE]

In the positive sense? :wink:

I think it's like Toby Joe said before ... "matter of taste".

Price/performance seems to be unbeatable at Ananda at the moment, though!

Nov 24, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,547 of 4,987
[QUOTE="bagwell359, post: 15325552, member: 462884"...The HEX v2 is clearly the most different sounding headphones of their entire line from the HE-4, HE5LE, HE-6, HEX v1/v2/SE, the Ananda is much closer to the house sound such as the: 560 and HEX v1.

Price/performance seems to be unbeatable at Ananda at the moment, though![/QUOTE]

I have six HiFiMan Cans, so I pay attention to what they put out (past and current). Fan of the Arya, HEKSE, HE6SE. I certainly do not believe the Ananda is an unbeatable price/performance can - even in the HFM family. My 3 best cans are:

new HE6SE at $699
used HEX v2 at $712
used HE-500 at $360 (needs pads, cables, so call it $550)

I'd pick each over the Anada.

If I had it, it would collect dust.like the 4XX, HE5SE, HE5LE, Fostex FH500RP, and the Alara if I hadn't sold it 3 weeks ago.

I don't find it special, I find it a disappointment. I expected the Arya, and got the 560 instead.

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #1,548 of 4,987

Price/performance seems to be unbeatable at Ananda at the moment, though!

I have six HiFiMan Cans, so I pay attention to what they put out (past and current). Fan of the Arya, HEKSE, HE6SE. I certainly do not believe the Ananda is an unbeatable price/performance can - even in the HFM family. My 3 best cans are:

new HE6SE at $699
used HEX v2 at $712

If I had it, it would collect dust.like the 4XX, HE5SE, HE5LE, Fostex FH500RP, and the Alara if I hadn't sold it 3 weeks ago.

I don't find it special, I find it a disappointment. I expected the Arya, and got the 560 instead.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,549 of 4,987

new HE6SE at $699
used HEX v2 at $712

I don't find it special, I find it a disappointment. I expected the Arya, and got the 560 instead.

Damn, I just bought the Amanda's. Now I'm gonna look at the HE6se from your comments.[/QUOTE]

Hey, I'm just an old goat braying into the wind. By all means audition what you can, but spend the cash based on your tastes and enjoyment.

p.s. HE6SE needs 150 hrs of break-in - per factory and my experience.

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:15 PM Post #1,550 of 4,987
As @Toby Joe said, I think the synergy with existing gear is a very big factor. I have no doubt that the Arya is the superior headphone but (as predicted in these threads) my mobile set-up didn't give them enough power to shine and mobile is where I'm at. For my gear and my taste, the Ananda is a stormer of a headphone.
Auditions are crucial though. Like partners, we all look for something different.

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:20 PM Post #1,551 of 4,987
I’d take the ananda over any other hifiman can besides the 6-screw he-6 and the he1000 series

haven’t heard the aryas but I’ve owned everything else

Nov 24, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #1,553 of 4,987
+1 for Ananda. While it may not get any love from some others here, it is a damn fine HP and certainly not worthy of the trash bin. Of course ones mileage will vary. Gear, Ears, and musical Preferences all factor in.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:08 AM Post #1,554 of 4,987
In choosing between the HEX V2 or the Ananda, I think it all comes down to what you’re looking for and your headphone amp. Like at least a few here, I read posts here and scratch my head and think, “How are they saying this when I’ve literally experienced the exact opposite?” Here we all have an opinion, and as “audiophiles,” I’m quite surprised any of us actually ever agree on anything as it again comes down to personal preference and the headphone amp – at least it does in my opinion.

With all of this in mind, I would ask, what amp are you using? I ask this as maybe some amps are not delivering everything needed for people to hear the differences between headphones, like the HEX V2 and the Ananda. If you have an amp that will show you the differences between headphones, then the next step is what are your preferences in choosing between the two? I wrote a post here a few days ago highlighting the differences between the HEX V2 and the Ananda and you can look that up and read that, but a quick summary is they are not the same. The HEX V2 has a slower and thicker transducer that provides a lush and saturated sound, while the Ananda has a fast and thin transducer for the quick detailed sound. Therefore, what sound signature are you looking for, lush and saturated, or quick and detailed? Pick that and you’ve picked your headphones. Good luck. : )

Hi Toby Joe,

I wanted to give a feedback on your detailed answer (thanks for that!).

Currently I use the Audeze LCD-2 Classic on the new Fiio K5 Pro. Maybe I will upgrade it against a JDS Labs Elements 2.
I actually listen to any kind of music, prioritized in the following order: Electronic, Rock/Alternative, Soundtracks, RNB.

Is the Ananda already something sibilante? Or just "brighter" tuned than the HEX V2?
I would like to decide today/near the time whether it should be the Ananda (new for 799€) or the HEX V2 (used for 725€).

Greetings & best thanks!

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,555 of 4,987
No one else has an issue with the Ananda headband feeling large even at the smallest setting?

Is your issue purely comfort related or you feel like you are missing out on sonic qualities (like soundstaging) due to the poor fit?

Hi Toby Joe,

Currently I use the Audeze LCD-2 Classic on the new Fiio K5 Pro. Maybe I will upgrade it against a JDS Labs Elements 2.
I actually listen to any kind of music, prioritized in the following order: Electronic, Rock/Alternative, Soundtracks, RNB.

Is the Ananda already something sibilante? Or just "brighter" tuned than the HEX V2?
I would like to decide today/near the time whether it should be the Ananda (new for 799€) or the HEX V2 (used for 725€).

Greetings & best thanks!

I compared the Sundara against the Ananda in a shop on the same DAC/amp (Chord TT2); both had similar bass, couldn't detect an appreciable difference in soundstage width (though admittedly I'm not the best at perceiving soundstage), however the Ananda had noticeably more airiness around the individual instruments in a mix. For example, I got a sense of the room that the hihats were recorded in even when they were played alongside many other instruments in a busy mix. Didn't get that information in the same track when played through the Sundara. Highs sounded less splashy with the Sundara; both had quite prominent highs but nothing that was tearing my ears off. Mids sounded a tad less recessed and more natural in timbre to me on the Ananda.

EDIT: oh, you were asking for comparisons against the HEX V2. I didn't compare directly, but I did compare Ananda against an LCD2 Classic - and the HEX V2 is meant to a relatively Audeze-sounding effort from Hifiman. Well, Ananda and LCD2 Classic are really opposing sound signatures; going from LCD2 Classic to Ananda you will miss out on heft, impact and dynamics, but equally you will gain a lot of clarity, easily apparent detail, separation, airiness and soundstaging info. Hard to say which one is better than the other as they are going for such different things; it's up to you which presentation you want. I'd imagine the comparison between HEX V2 and Ananda would be similar, but possibly less extreme.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #1,556 of 4,987
I didn't compare directly, but I did compare Ananda against an LCD2 Classic - and the HEX V2 is meant to a relatively Audeze-sounding effort from Hifiman.

Hm, I have already compared the Ananda and my LCD-2 Classic with each other... and I can hardly imagine that the HEX V2 is so much closer to the LCD-2 Classic than the Ananda. Just because the Ananda and the HEX V2 are described by many as very similar (with the differences already mentioned here).

I have to say that I liked the Ananda VERY much during testing (comparison with the LCD-2 Classic and the Focal Clear). Resolution/clearness/airiness and also the speed mentioned here are exactly the things that remained positive in my memory. "Nevertheless"... you know that... perfectionism doesn't make it easy for us and if you have the possibility to get another model at a comparable price which might fit (HEX V2) then you start to think. :D

Well, Ananda and LCD2 Classic are really opposing sound signatures; going from LCD2 Classic to Ananda you will miss out on heft, impact and dynamics, but equally you will gain a lot of clarity, easily apparent detail, separation, airiness and soundstaging info. Hard to say which one is better than the other as they are going for such different things; it's up to you which presentation you want. I'd imagine the comparison between HEX V2 and Ananda would be similar, but possibly less extreme.

I don't think I'd say that with the Ananda you lose dynamics compared to the LCD2-Classic. For me, the Ananda is simply the better headphone (in terms of sound). But the workmanship of the Audeze is much better.
The LCD2-Classic is much darker, warmer and has more upper bass. But the Ananda plays lower (which I also like better). I also like the LCD2-Classic a lot, but in direct comparison it doesn't stand a chance against the Ananda.

Many greetings

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,557 of 4,987
Interestingly enough, they are $699 (again) via Hifiman's Black Friday deal starting on 11/25. Seen on Hifiman's store and on Amazon.

Nov 25, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #1,559 of 4,987
Hi Toby Joe,

Greetings & best thanks!
Ah, good morning, I am so happy hearing myself and others here have helped you in picking your next headphone, which I know is not an easy task at all as these reviews and contras kind of turn everything into mud after a while.

You list EDM, Rock/Alt, RNB, and soundtracks as your listening music, and you already own the LCD-2 Classic; so what are you looking for that’s different from what you already have? In my opinion, the LCD-2 Classic is definitely one of the best choices for these types of music.

I have never considered the Ananda as bright or sibilant. My guess is Hifiman added the high-end back to the Ananda that’s slightly recessed on the HEX V2 in my opinion. The Ananda is better balanced in my opinion than the HEX V2 as the HEX V2 is recessed a slight bit in the high-end in my opinion. I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say the Ananda is sibilant, but I have heard some say the Ananda is higher in the high-end than they like, but I don’t see it this way and I like it the way it is. Now, maybe it’s my hearing, or my individual preference, but I think the Ananda is excellent just the way it is and I add a 15k peq to the HEX V2 to restore the recessed high-end or it drives me nuts.

With your music selection that you listed, and you already own the LCD—2 Classic, so I think you’re already covered very well already. If I were you, I would keep using the LCD-2 Classic, skip buying an Ananda or a HEX V2, and buy an excellent headphone amp. My suggestion is a THX AAA amp.

I’m not sure if this post helps you or not as I’m actually now pointing you in a different direction than what you’ve asked. I apologize if you read this post and think “I’ve lost my mind,” but this really is what I would do – I would buy a THX AAA amp instead and keep using the LCD-2 Classics. : )

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #1,560 of 4,987
Well good, this thread was pretty dead for awhile. It's not my favorite, but its not junk - compared to everything out there. Better than almost every German can outside of Sennheiser.

sibilant? Sibilant is a sub category of bright, I don't think they are nasty sibilant, a bit, but they are bright - no doubt.

If my HEX v2 and the Ananda (heard two different ones 3 times total) are working properly than I can't see how anyone says that they are largely similar. Similar in soundstage, similar upper bass -> lower mids - yup. Not really anywhere else.

Both of them are much closer to even on frequency response than the LCD-2.

Ananda is the "accurate" one of the three - accurate as in "solid state", bright, forward, "digital". Not for me.

HEX is the most coherent from top to bottom, lacks some dynamics, soft detail w/ even order harmonics "tube hybrid", "magnepan 1 in a headphone" "analog". Absolute "pissa" early morning, late night can.

LCD-2 heavy bass, like being in a bass drum - overdone IMO. very mild top end over 10 kHz (too soft), big big dip in the upper mids/lower mids. "tubes (not hybrid)", syrupy, not as coherent as the HEX, can

The HEX is closer in mood to the LCD-2 IMO, but, its not that close.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back