Hifiman Ananda
Sep 2, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #1,306 of 4,994
Over the last few weeks I’ve spent a lot of time with the Hifiman Ananda’s, and below is my non-standard review. I say non-standard as I’d like to condense what would be a typical long form review into just the quick details. This is done in the hopes that the necessary info can be conveyed quickly without any muddying of what I’m trying to say. So with that said, here are some questions and answers that may be helpful at a glance:

In sound quality alone, are the Ananda’s worth their full retail asking price? Yes

Are these headphones comfortable? Yes. No squishing of the ears, no tight clamp, no pressure spots, not overly hot. They don’t disappear entirely on your head, but they aren’t uncomfortable in any way.

What is the general tuning? Neutral. To my ears there is a shift towards a U shaped sound with slightly elevated bass & treble. However, the shift is so small that the headphones are closer to neutral than anything else.

What is the overall sound like? Fast paced, airy, slightly thin, natural tones, and well-defined bass.
  • The slight thinness of the overall sound allows for the micro details to come out cleanly, then that thinness is countered by the natural timbre and well-defined bass.
  • Additional perceived clarity is brought out by the non-smooth treble, which has a slight sparkle at the top to make notes stand out more.
  • Bass is well textured and ample in quantity for all genres, but it does lack some desired slam compared to bass emphasized headphones. The bass extends well and hits with such speed that it is very satisfying against the rest of the sound.
  • The sound stage is both wide & tall enough to allow clear separation and placement of every instrument. The sound stage can be described as enveloping.
With everything put together you get a sound that is thin in overall ambience, but yet every single note is full, clear, and with precise separation. Adding clean textured bass within an enveloping field, and you end up with a nice satisfying experience.

What do these headphones excel at? Incredible micro detail, speed, and accurate full tones. The combination lends itself to critical listening without the music ever becoming too cold or sterile.

What do these headphones lack? Thickness in the overall sound, a minor effect that isn’t enough to ruin the experience.

What music genres are these headphones best suited for? All genres sound great to me, but I’ve especially enjoyed classical and electronic. Electronic music was a surprise since that genre usually benefits more from heavy emphasized bass, but the speed and micro detail in the Ananda’s allows for a precision in the music that elevates electronic music to the next level.

What formats are these headphones best suited for? Everything, but I have enjoyed them most in critical listening and gaming.

How is the stock cable? Surprisingly good. The cable isn’t microphonic in any way, and is thick enough to avoid tangling. I compared the sound quality to the Meze 99 Classics stock cable, the 99 Classics silver plated balanced cable, and 4 other random cables that were under $40. The Ananda stock cable sounded better than all of them, being free from any distortion. All other cables had some form of distortion, usually in thinning out the sound in one or all areas

Are these headphones perfect? No, see the negatives section below.

Negatives:
Once you get to this tier of headphone there must be extra scrutiny on anything that holds the headphone back from being perfect. This isn’t because perfection is expected (or perhaps even possible), but just that headphones in this tier are so good that any negatives tend to stick out more against the rest of the near perfect sound. That said, the negatives below are minor in that they do NOT define the sound of the Ananda’s. The negatives are minor enough that they could be described as nitpicking. Nonetheless, these negatives need to be called out as they can detract from the sound depending on your tastes.
  • Slight thinness of the overall sound, even if every note sounds correct. I do actually think this is required in order for the micro details to come forward with the precision that they do, but the thinness can take away some enjoyment of music depending on what type of sound you prefer. Jazz was one area that stuck out to me where some of the spirit may have been taken out of the songs. If you value details over a more warm and melded soundscape, then this probably won’t be a negative for you. If you value warm tones and a higher level of musicality over detail, then I don’t think this is necessarily a deal breaker (again, it’s minor), but these may be more useful to you as critical listening as opposed to casual everyday listening. For me, I’m a mix of the two. After getting used to other headphones I find that the Ananda’s sound too thin for the first minute or two, then once I adjust to the sound it becomes near perfect. After that adjustment period the headphones offer a killer combination, as the sound then seems full with detail that probably wouldn’t be possible in other tunings.
  • Occasionally the treble can become a bit sharp on some notes, but never sibilant. Saxophone and trumpets come to mind when they are played at a high pitch. Once again I actually think this is intended in order to give additional perceived clarity in the overall sound (making notes pop more vividly). However, this is something to consider if you are especially sensitive to treble spikes.
  • Sound leakage. To those in the same room, it will sound like you have two portable speakers attached to your head. These do leak a lot of sound, so there’s no chance of wearing these in an open office. On a positive note, the sound leaking out is of decent quality, so it’s only the amount of sound leaking out that you need to worry about. Likewise with so much sound leaking out, there’s really no isolation of external noise for the listener. So, these headphones are really best for you and others when you are in a mostly quiet environment where others won’t be disturbed.
Conclusion:
The tuning on the Ananda is aimed entirely at detail without taking too much away from any other area, and in this they greatly succeed. Any negatives in the sound design are likely intentional in order to extract every little detail possible. Somehow Hifiman was able to succeed in detail retrieval while limiting the negatives to such an extent that the end result is a very high quality headphone that is a treat to hear. The simple strum of a guitar, or tone of an electronic note can be heard with such clarity and fullness that every second of a song becomes more enjoyable.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:25 PM Post #1,307 of 4,994
Sorry for the mess. It somehow remembered something old I tried to type on my smartphone.

Sep 2, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #1,308 of 4,994
@Dramlin
Thanks for your comprehensive impressions. This should be interesting for everyone who have an eye on Ananda. I personally decided to step up to higher priced models. At the moment I´m leaning towards Empyrean. But I auditioned Ananda and could compared them to LCD 2 Classics. I would choose Ananda over LCD2 Classic, to me it just sounded more musical and lively. But as you`ve said it`s not flawless. On the other hand soundwise I can`t see strong drawbacks for this price range.

Sep 2, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #1,309 of 4,994
If one already owns an Ananda and wishes to provide a bit more warmth, this may help. I had a friend build me the slight adjustment (see below) and it did remove the slight tilt-upwards giving a more balanced presentation. I think it cost about $25 in parts, but can't recall...

Capture.JPG

https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/ananda/

Ananda Filter.jpg

Before the nay-sayers start with the "why would a $1000 set of HPs even need this?", remember that 1) no HPs are perfect, 2) It's not $1000 anymore, and 3) this made what was in my opinion a very good HP even better.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 8:12 PM Post #1,310 of 4,994
Maybe impossible to answer, but the Ananda has dropped to around $646 over here. Do you think it will drop again over the next year, or is this the time to grab them? Fell in love when I heard them last year at CanJam and I've started obsessing...

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #1,311 of 4,994
Maybe impossible to answer, but the Ananda has dropped to around $646 over here. Do you think it will drop again over the next year, or is this the time to grab them? Fell in love when I heard them last year at CanJam and I've started obsessing...
In my opinion, just get it at that price if you really like it. And just enjoy.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 2:02 AM Post #1,312 of 4,994
I really dislike Arya's flimsy build. Even the Ananda feels a bit sturdier. But I do prefer the Arya's all-black look, even compared to my HEK.

I haven't felt the Arya's yet so I don't know about that from experience, however, Fang had to do something to cram HEK drivers into a cheaper headphone so it does make sense.

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:15 AM Post #1,313 of 4,994
One thing I like about the Ananda is its openness. Tonality is fine too. Neutral-ish and still quite smooth. Can get a bit hot in the upper mid with the wrong tracks.

I really dislike Arya's flimsy build. Even the Ananda feels a bit sturdier. But I do prefer the Arya's all-black look, even compared to my HEK.
Arya feels "flimsier" but it also felt lighter and more svelte, and I'd also argue the headband adjustment mechanism on the Arya (and Susvara) are superior. The fact that the Ananda scratches the inside (becomes that silvery colour) while adjusting is unacceptable. I understand that while you won't be consistently adjusting, and it might just be me being picky, but that's the case for me and one of the few reasons I "prefer" the Arya to the Ananda.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #1,315 of 4,994
Arya feels "flimsier" but it also felt lighter and more svelte, and I'd also argue the headband adjustment mechanism on the Arya (and Susvara) are superior. The fact that the Ananda scratches the inside (becomes that silvery colour) while adjusting is unacceptable. I understand that while you won't be consistently adjusting, and it might just be me being picky, but that's the case for me and one of the few reasons I "prefer" the Arya to the Ananda.
You're not being picky. The Ananda creeks too when you play with gimbals.

Oh well, they are both real easy on the head.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:54 AM Post #1,316 of 4,994
Mine dont creek at all.

Sep 3, 2019 at 10:58 AM Post #1,317 of 4,994
Ditto. I have noticed that with my glasses on, the pads do make a creaking like sound when I move my jaw, etc., but it disappears when I remove my glasses. No issues with the headband or yokes creaking, however.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #1,318 of 4,994
I've had my issues with the Ananda, but in say 18 months they are readily available at $425 used it's a no brainer - even if you find them generally good with some annoying flaws. If there is a new version coming (price drops recently lead me to think there is a v2 coming - in say midwinter 2020) then v1 might be going for $350ish used in 18 months.

Ananda at $350 beats the snot out of the HE5SE, 400*, HE5LE, Sundara, 560 - just use it w/ an inline filter if it really annoys. Might be time to dump my 4xx and HE5LE and HE5SE to make room.

Love to see them put out an Arya II in Winter 2020 that would tumble the price of the v1, also in need (lesser) of a filter. When it happens, it'll be after the Ananda.

HFM continues over time to charge pretty high for new items, and then court used buyers over time to saturate the market. OK by me, only bought three new cans in the last 5 years - HD-600, 4XX, HE5SSE (at least at a steep discount - makes up for the fact that to me they *&^%).

Sep 3, 2019 at 1:21 PM Post #1,319 of 4,994
I've had my issues with the Ananda, but in say 18 months they are readily available at $425 used it's a no brainer - even if you find them generally good with some annoying flaws. If there is a new version coming (price drops recently lead me to think there is a v2 coming - in say midwinter 2020) then v1 might be going for $350ish used in 18 months.

Ananda at $350 beats the snot out of the HE5SE, 400*, HE5LE, Sundara, 560 - just use it w/ an inline filter if it really annoys. Might be time to dump my 4xx and HE5LE and HE5SE to make room.

Love to see them put out an Arya II in Winter 2020 that would tumble the price of the v1, also in need (lesser) of a filter. When it happens, it'll be after the Ananda.

HFM continues over time to charge pretty high for new items, and then court used buyers over time to saturate the market. OK by me, only bought three new cans in the last 5 years - HD-600, 4XX, HE5SSE (at least at a steep discount - makes up for the fact that to me they *&^%).
I think they are lowering the price of the Ananda because the Ananda BT just came out. So I guess they want to create more of a price difference between the two. Doubt you will see used prices on the Ananda drop below $500 for a while unless Hifiman lowers the new price again. If that BT turns out to be pretty good. I might actually sell my HEX V2 and just get that. Right now I mainly use my HEX for trips and maybe the patio. With the BT I wouldn't even need the amp which would be great.

Now if they came out with an Arya V2 that was easier to drive I would be there, might skip the BT in that case.

Sep 3, 2019 at 4:54 PM Post #1,320 of 4,994
I think they are lowering the price of the Ananda because the Ananda BT just came out. So I guess they want to create more of a price difference between the two. Doubt you will see used prices on the Ananda drop below $500 for a while unless Hifiman lowers the new price again. If that BT turns out to be pretty good. I might actually sell my HEX V2 and just get that. Right now I mainly use my HEX for trips and maybe the patio. With the BT I wouldn't even need the amp which would be great.

Now if they came out with an Arya V2 that was easier to drive I would be there, might skip the BT in that case.

Just look at the price drops even without changes in function or version.

560 went from $900 to $300 in about 2.5 years (slight build changes)
HEX v2 went from $1899 to $899 in 2 years ($1899 was the v1 price I believe)
Sundara $499 to $349
HE5SE from $599 to $299 in under a year
400i went from $500 to $179 in about 3 years

Once you get over $1500, the changes are generally much more seldom for HFM cans, usually related to version change only.

But under the HE6SE/Arya it's a fur flying free for all.

Forget 2 years. In 18 months, I predict the list price of the Ananda I will be $599-699. The BT would be $749-849 and II would go for $1099-1199. And used I's will be 4's for mint, and 3's for more average shape.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back