Hifiman Ananda
Feb 23, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #1,006 of 4,987
I didn't like the HEXv2 pairing with the Cayin IHA6 when I tried it personally, for what it's worth.
Do you remember why?

Feb 24, 2019 at 4:09 AM Post #1,009 of 4,987
I have the Cayin Iha-6 and Chord Qutest. Which hifiman headphone would probably better match?
I found the ananda amd hexv2 have beem fine with the iha6 and a meteum hex dac

I do find, so far the hexv2 does not match all recordings as well as i hoped but is great with most and exceptional with many

I think the metrum hex may be a tiouch sodrer than the qutest but similar in quality as I have tried it a number of times - a friend owns it.

He also owns the v281 amp and the hekv2 did sound a bt better through that. But the iha6 was a lot cheaper and ia great value

If you haven’t already eas it there is the project86 / john grandberg review

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #1,010 of 4,987
I dound the ananda amd hexv2 have beem fine with the with it and a meteum hex dac

I do find, so far the hwxv2 does not match all recordings as well as i hoped but is great with a lot and exceptional with many

I think the metrum hex may be a tiouch sodrer than the qutest but similar in quality as I have tried it a number of times - a friend owns it.

He also owns the v281 amp and the hekv2 did sound a bt better through that. But the iha6 was a lot cheaper and ia great value

If you haven’t already eas it there is the project86 / john grandberg review

Thanks!

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #1,011 of 4,987
Do you remember why?
It was okay, definitely good speed from it, but I found it just underlined the etched nature of the treble a lot, and I was able to get better soundstage from some other amps.

From the website, https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/hifiman/ananda/

I now know what I am hearing from Ananda. It seems warm and not clean. I wonder if it is the CSD graph that shows the issue? It seems most of the hifiman headphone do not have good CSD graph.
Headphone decay measurements often don't mean what you might think, at first glance. What you're looking for in them is more subtle features. The main issue is spotting ridges that look like razorblades above 1500 hz, because that will usually indicate a sibilant peak, or ringing. Below 1500 hz, the decay measurements don't matter much. The CSD for the HEX/Ananda looks like a wall of noise but honestly, I can't hear any of that, because most of it is well below the threshold of audibility.

The distortion measurements are really good. They may be a bit worse than higher end planars if you compare them to say, the LCD-4 or HE-1000, so they won't be the last word in terms of detail, but in the grand scheme of things they're still very well behaved. Just look around at a few mid-range dynamics to get an idea. Many of them have distortion that goes well above 1 or even 10 db.

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 1:06 PM Post #1,012 of 4,987
Just checking in with a very brief review.
Picked the Ananda's up today from my favorite UPS front counter person.
Came home, hooked them up and have listened to them for about 40 mins.
So, ..... there is your "take this with a grain of salt", head's up.
Ive now listened to Kandace Springs, Sarah Jarosz, Eivor, Yanni live, Imogen Heap, Corinne Bailey Ray, and a few others on my Youtube channel.

First impressions.
Consider me impressed.
How would i categorize these Cans in general?
"Mostly comfortable" , "microscopes for your ears", "striving for audio accuracy".
These possess a very balanced sound, with a hint of warmth and a touch of air, but, their overarching sound is one of unified sonic coherence, and detailed transparency.

After reading a lot of reviews prior to purchase, i was surprised to discover that their bass response is actually less outspoken then the Audeze X.
However, they don't need to, as they supply a fine bass response that is lively, yet, accurate.
Its a unique bass response that is all about literal revelation, while at the same time being a very coherent part of the overall sound.
I think also, regarding their treble, there is a bit of the HifiMan HE560s, as well as a sprinkle of the Sundara, within it.
This is definitely a Hifimann type of treble tonality.
Mids are not laid back, but neither are they taking the lead regarding the overall sound.
Soundstage is plentiful and evokes a mild sense of a "im listening to standing speakers" type of listening experience.
To my ear, what separates this set of headphones into a unique class is how they reproduce instrument separation.
Truly truly outstanding.
I dont think anything that costs less then these headphones can offer this type of instrument separation or micro detail / transparency.
And, like any set of headphones, they have their Sig sound, and maybe you will love it and maybe you will not.
However, if you love it, you will be thoroughly rewarded with incredible detail and instrument separation all residing within a very balanced sounding set of headphones.
They definitely provide quite a substantial listening experience.....:)
-
-
Zananda.JPG

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:04 PM Post #1,014 of 4,987
^^^^^

Would you say their sound sig and tonal qualities are different enough from Sundara to justify having both?

The Sundara is a nice headphone.
The Ananda is an Audiophile headphone.
Its not "apples and oranges", its a diamond to a pearl.
Its a lot better.
But, my caveat is...... "better" does not mean its certain to be perfect for you.
They do, in my opinion, offer a sonic experience that is worth their cost.
These are not a $499 USD sound.
This is the better stuff..
I suspect that people who wanted to love the Senn 800's, but could not stand their ice-pick treble attack, would find the Ananda's work for them, as these offer such impressive instrument separation, that classical music is ideally suited to them, along with acoustic music.
Yet, ive been playing some house, and other "big beat" stuff, and they are impressive.
I think i will retire my "usual" go-to's now, and keep these as my new "as compared to".

happy listening......:)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #1,016 of 4,987
The Sundara is a nice headphone.
The Ananda is an Audiophile headphone.
Its not "apples and oranges", its a diamond to a pearl.
Its a lot better.
But, my caveat is...... "better" does not mean its certain to be perfect for you.
They do, in my opinion, offer a sonic experience that is worth their cost.
These are not a $499 USD sound.
This is the better stuff..
I suspect that people who wanted to love the Senn 800's, but could not stand their ice-pick treble attack, would find the Ananda's work for them, as these offer such impressive instrument separation, that classical music is ideally suited to them, along with acoustic music.
Yet, ive been playing some house, and other "big beat" stuff, and they are impressive.
I think i will retire my "usual" go-to's now, and keep these as my new "as compared to".

happy listening......:)

This was my experience as well.

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:10 PM Post #1,017 of 4,987
So basically if I get the Ananda someday I’ll probably sell the Sundies. Fair enough.

I added to my comment, if you care to reread it...

And yes, buying a set and paying for them by selling a set......thats good math skills.
or, buying a "100% satisfied or give them back" is another way to deal with your right to be happy with your purchase.
Ifs your right to be happy with your purchase, especially if you are spending the money.........:)

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #1,018 of 4,987
I added to my comment, if you care to reread it...

And yes, buying a set and paying for them by selling a set......thats good math skills.
or, buying a "100% satisfied or give them back" is another way to deal with your right to be happy with your purchase.
Ifs your right to be happy with your purchase, especially if you are spending the money.........:)

So do you like these more than your Quad’s?

Feb 27, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,019 of 4,987
Feb 27, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #1,020 of 4,987
So do you like these more than your Quad’s?

The Quads are a different species.
They are a fine sound.
The Quads are like a classic vintage wine, and the Ananda's are like a Tesla.
The Quads are like a beautiuful warm hug, and the Ananda's are like a walk through a crystal cathedral.
2 different hats.
If i want classic speakers on my head i go with the Quads.
If i want to use a multi-focus laser beam on my music, then i grab the Ananda's.
Its sort of like, ...Do you prefer Karen Carpenter, or do you prefer Maria Callas.
The Quads offer enough micro detail retrieval to satisfy the person who wants to look inside the music, and the Ananda's offer enough warmth/beauty for the curious person who wants more then just a analytical sonic experience.
Neither are the best headphones ever created, but that is because money can't purchase, for anyone, anything beyond a ultra rewarding subjective listening experience.
There is no perfect set of headphones.
The one that is perfect for you is the set that is perfect for you alone.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back