Hifiman Ananda
Oct 6, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #706 of 4,987
Interesting, very interesting. The person who had sold me the headphones handled contacting Hifiman: it was either help me get the parts to fix it; or I would return the headphones for credit. After weeks (he didn't have an easy time of it w/Hifiman, apparently), a package arrived from Hifiman: a new headband + sliders, of no help in repairing my problem. That was quite enough; the headphones went back and I got my Paypal credit.

If Paypal had sent me the parts you describe, I would own these headphones today.

I'd love to see picture of these parts, if you have any...
Wow my experience was super easy. Parts shipped direct from China in under a week. Customer service was excellent for me.

Oct 7, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #707 of 4,987
Just pulled the trigger on the Ananda.

Currently have the HE400i, I previously had them hooked up to a speaker amp at 250wpc, and it was awesome. MF A308CR pre/power combo.
Looking to do the same with the Ananda, although the awesome MF is now gone, probably looking at ICEpower class D/250-500wpc into 8 ohm.

I know this seems weird and absurdly dangerous for the cans, but the HE400i's/MF A308CR against all recommendations from the Headfi community absolutely blew away my old Stax SR-007/007t combo. I say this for movie reproduction using an A8 Realiser, so not the ordinary comparison. The problem with the SR007 is the amplification power, just not enough unless you spend $6k on the BHSE at 200w. I tried a class A 60wpc speaker amp with the HE400i, and it was unsatisfactory, largely due to the fact that, the volume control could not be turned up loud enough to fill the dynamic range without introducing horrible hiss. The hiss is due to the ohm mismatch between speaker amps and higher impedance headphones.

The 60wpc amp was at about 1 o'clock, and the 250wpc amp was at about 10 o'clock.

When I brought my A8 Realiser to a Hifi store to try different headphones, the SR009 and the HE1000 were the best. At that time the HEX was not present for audition, not sure it was even in production. The HE1000 has a holographic presentation and openness that just works with the Realiser perfectly, likely due to the thin diaphragm. It enhances the Realiser's ability to recreate speakers in headphones, and brings up a whole new level.

Funds always held me back from stepping up to the HE1000, but now I hope the Ananda will fill that void and deliver the same effects for the Realiser that the HE1000 does at a considerable discount. When I auditioned the HE1000 vs the HEX some time back, I noticed the same holographic imaging present in both cans, probably due to the thinness of the diaphragm.

Currently using an old iFi iCan, damn good amplifier for what it is, but not the liquid ultra high fidelity I remember from MF gear, that headroom really brings it up another level.

Finally I have moved on from the HE400i after years of waiting for a HEX or HE1000 in my price range, I have only ever seen 1 or 2 HEX even come up on the used market here in Australia and the HE1000 always sold way above what I could afford at the time.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 2:32 AM Post #708 of 4,987
After settling on Edition X, I got nervous reading those stories of plastic yokes cracks and breaks. It's the only negative I could perceive in comparing Ananda to Edition X directly while holding them.

And just a few days ago at RMAF, the new Arya headphones got announced. Arya headphone that adapts HE1000 V2-series driver technology at a lower price point ($1,599). What would point me to whether these are a step up in Edition X tier or a replacement to the original HEK tier would be how easy they are to drive (sensitivity and impedance).

Does anybody have an idea?

Oct 7, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #709 of 4,987
After settling on Edition X, I got nervous reading those stories of plastic yokes cracks and breaks. It's the only negative I could perceive in comparing Ananda to Edition X directly while holding them.

And just a few days ago at RMAF, the new Arya headphones got announced. Arya headphone that adapts HE1000 V2-series driver technology at a lower price point ($1,599). What would point me to whether these are a step up in Edition X tier or a replacement to the original HEK tier would be how easy they are to drive (sensitivity and impedance).

If they use the same drivers as the HE1000 V2's, without any modifications, they would definitely be harder to drive. You can get away with running the Edition X on some phones or weaker amps. I wouldn't do the same with the HE1000 V1 or V2. If pricing and amplifier requirements are an issue, I'd say go with the Edition X V2 and order up the $15 parts that BuddhaBruce posted about above. The headband and yokes of the HEX V2 are metal, but the clips that attach the two are plastic. I'd say with the metal clips, you probably wouldn't have anything to worry about. The HEX V2's are going for around $800 used here on Head-Fi and I doubt you'll be able to get the Arya for cheaper than retail for a while after they are released. That's two used HEX V2's for the price of one new Arya.

Oct 10, 2018 at 8:19 AM Post #711 of 4,987

Great, new headphones again.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...se-jade-ii-electrostatic-headphone-system-and

Hifiman really likes to renew their entire line, don't they eh
The Arya is said to have same drivers as HEK and costs $1,500. I'm willing to pay the extra 500 if it's better than the Ananda.
Guess I'll have to postpone all purchases, AGAIN, until I could see some reviews of the Arya.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #712 of 4,987
Great, new headphones again.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/conte...se-jade-ii-electrostatic-headphone-system-and

Hifiman really likes to renew their entire line, don't they eh
The Arya is said to have same drivers as HEK and costs $1,500. I'm willing to pay the extra 500 if it's better than the Ananda.
Guess I'll have to postpone all purchases, AGAIN, until I could see some reviews of the Arya.

Fang just falcon-punched every Ananda owner for no good reason. He also just displayed the strength of his pimp hand to any HEK owner who had forgotten; technically the Arya is HEKv4..... I expect HEKv4.1 in 6 months.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #713 of 4,987
Fang just falcon-punched every Ananda owner for no good reason. He also just displayed the strength of his pimp hand to any HEK owner who had forgotten; technically the Arya is HEKv4..... I expect HEKv4.1 in 6 months.
To be fair, the Arya is $500 more than the Ananda. Had I bought an Ananda sure, I'd probably be a bit miffed because I'd be willing to pay the aforementioned $500 to get a damn near HEK. However, the point stands, it's not a dick move so much as the risk one takes when buying a shiny new toy... there's always going to be a better deal coming up.

Also, Hifiman seem to do this a lot more than some other brands, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock. Take the Ananda itself... I was considering a HEX earlier this year (went with the Clear's) and that was at the price of the new Arya. That would have been a 1-2 gut punch right now had I gone for the HEX, but again, I'd of known the risk of buying an older model Hifiman...

On the flip side of all that. Have a look at what MrSpeakers is doing with the Launch of the Ether 2. If you purchased an Ether Flow recently there are some measures they have in place to ensure that you're not getting short changed. Rebates and such. Great stuff.

Oct 11, 2018 at 1:58 PM Post #714 of 4,987
It's 50% more expensive and will sound similar to the ananda for sure, i don't see it a bad move tbh.
Audiophiles used to 100-200% price increase for the next "tier" products of the same company, so Hifiman move is welcome

Oct 11, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #715 of 4,987
It's 50% more expensive and will sound similar to the ananda for sure, i don't see it a bad move tbh.
Audiophiles used to 100-200% price increase for the next "tier" products of the same company, so Hifiman move is welcome

I totally agree, I purchased my Ananda and have been Enjoying them ever since, I have not even looked back, I read the thread now and then, but, I am actually happy with my purchase and I think anyone who listens with their ears and and not their eyes (comparing frequency graph charts) will be very content with the Ananda or any other mid priced purchase.

Pick something and Enjoy, Don't allow yourself to Post more than you listen, there is no enjoyment in that!!

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:24 AM Post #716 of 4,987
To be fair, the Arya is $500 more than the Ananda. Had I bought an Ananda sure, I'd probably be a bit miffed because I'd be willing to pay the aforementioned $500 to get a damn near HEK. However, the point stands, it's not a dick move so much as the risk one takes when buying a shiny new toy... there's always going to be a better deal coming up.

Also, Hifiman seem to do this a lot more than some other brands, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock. Take the Ananda itself... I was considering a HEX earlier this year (went with the Clear's) and that was at the price of the new Arya. That would have been a 1-2 gut punch right now had I gone for the HEX, but again, I'd of known the risk of buying an older model Hifiman...

On the flip side of all that. Have a look at what MrSpeakers is doing with the Launch of the Ether 2. If you purchased an Ether Flow recently there are some measures they have in place to ensure that you're not getting short changed. Rebates and such. Great stuff.

Funny story, I just bought a set of Ether Flows but mine were used and with the exchange rate Brand new Ether 2s will not happen.

My statement was based on the thought that most users would be willing to pony up the additional $500 if hifiman had done a more standardized line update as opposed to this open the workshop door and throw something out every couple months style.
About the HEK this really was a trash move, to release the HE1000se which is probably only marginally better than the HEKv2/Arya was dumb. Whats the point of SE when its quite clearly outdated?

That 50% difference was something that a lot of costumers would have been willing to save up for had they known, especially how the new price of an Arya will probably come down to $1,199 in 6 months or so if there isnt an Arya.v2

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:41 AM Post #717 of 4,987
Funny story, I just bought a set of Ether Flows but mine were used and with the exchange rate Brand new Ether 2s will not happen.

My statement was based on the thought that most users would be willing to pony up the additional $500 if hifiman had done a more standardized line update as opposed to this open the workshop door and throw something out every couple months style.
About the HEK this really was a trash move, to release the HE1000se which is probably only marginally better than the HEKv2/Arya was dumb. Whats the point of SE when its quite clearly outdated?

That 50% difference was something that a lot of costumers would have been willing to save up for had they known, especially how the new price of an Arya will probably come down to $1,199 in 6 months or so if there isnt an Arya.v2
He1000Se have all the tech from susvara minus Higher sensitivity. I think its excellent deal. I would rather buy it than any other heahphone in that price range...

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #718 of 4,987
He1000Se have all the tech from susvara minus Higher sensitivity. I think its excellent deal. I would rather buy it than any other heahphone in that price range...

Thats fair, the problem is that I doubt it will change the overall signature much if at all. If someone had bought the HEKv2 3 months ago they would be looking at the Arya and seeing it's the same thing but cheaper, then they'd look at the HE1000se at the same price but with a moderate overall improvement. The reason I don't think its that much of an improvement is because Fang didn't make it into a new model. If it was sonically superior and changed the signature it would have become a new model.

Oct 13, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #719 of 4,987
I'm quite happy with my Ananda and for me it's my 'End Game' set of cans. I've gotten to the point of diminishing returns where the improvements/cost ratio just does not make sense for me and my situation. I am not offended by the release of Arya given the 50% price delta between it and Ananda. Now if Arya had been almost the same price as Ananda, then that would be a different story.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #720 of 4,987
Well, FB must not expect contention between the Arya and HE6-SE given the closeness in price. I guess the SE6 really will be a one-off.

Also this 5SE is pretty close in price to the Sundara, those folks with that price range might be well off hearing both.

Interested if the 5SE challenges the 6SE - in any serious way.

If I had a HEX V2 to sell, I'd be bummed - price drop alert, potentially the same if the Ananda gets hammered by reviews of the Arya.

I notice the Arya is 90 db sensitivity, much lower than the Ananda and HEX V2 and closer to the Susvara and HE6se - so meant as a tabletop can and not a portable?

Sorry to throw that all here, but Arya an 5se have no threads here yet. And I don't think we have a "Hifiman kills its young" thread yet.

** Also I note that the 6se and 5se have the same old grill on the backs. FB agreed that the (not sure if 500 or 6) sounded better without the grills. But the testing is done with them on, that's how they are tuned. No window shade I can understand for the 5se given the cost, but the 6se is a pricey can - not even the less restrictive Sundara back? Or maybe they didn't give a rip...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back