Hifiman Ananda
Jul 10, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #256 of 4,987
Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but, it would be great to hear impressions from anyone that’s compared to Ananda Sundara.

I can't do direct A/B between them as I don't own Sundara anymore. But from my audio memory, they are not drastically different each other in terms of sound signature. You can think of Ananda as overall refinement of Sundara with better sub-bass, comfort, and etc.

In terms of brightness, I think they are pretty much similar from my audio 'memory.' It doesn't mean that Ananda is overly bright, but it's not dark either. Comparing to AFO (EQed), female vocals from AFO are more forward with darker tone. Ananda has slightly recessed but clean female vocals with brighter tone.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #257 of 4,987
I can't do direct A/B between them as I don't own Sundara anymore. But from my audio memory, they are not drastically different each other in terms of sound signature. You can think of Ananda as overall refinement of Sundara with better sub-bass, comfort, and etc.

In terms of brightness, I think they are pretty much similar from my audio 'memory.' It doesn't mean that Ananda is overly bright, but it's not dark either. Comparing to AFO (EQed), female vocals from AFO are more forward with darker tone. Ananda has slightly recessed but clean female vocals with brighter tone.

Thanks for those thoughts.
I’ll hear Sundara later today, they were just delivered. My concern is if they have sufficient bottom end and the top isn’t overly bright. Of course good the mids are fairly accurate as well :wink:
Soon to see/hear.

I can say the AFO was not right for me. A bit too warm & U shaped for my needs anyway.
So hoping Sundara is at least a step in a more linear direction.

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:43 PM Post #258 of 4,987
Thanks for those thoughts.
I’ll hear Sundara later today, they were just delivered. My concern is if they have sufficient bottom end and the top isn’t overly bright. Of course good the mids are fairly accurate as well :wink:
Soon to see/hear.

I can say the AFO was not right for me. A bit too warm & U shaped for my needs anyway.
So hoping Sundara is at least a step in a more linear direction.

Sundara had sufficient mid-bass, but lacked sub-bass a bit. But I guess you may give them EQ to make them sound pretty similar.
I agree that AFO is too warm due to the dip around 1.2k, but EQ solved this issue for me. Without EQ, Sundara is more linear, but a bit bright from time to time. Sundara sounded quite a step up from 400i anyway, which was treble canyon to my ears.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #259 of 4,987
Sundara had sufficient mid-bass, but lacks sub-bass a bit. But I guess you may give them EQ to make them sound pretty similar.
I agree that AFO is too warm due to the dip around 1.2k, but EQ solved this issue for me. Without EQ, Sundara is more linear, but a bit bright from time to time. Sundara sounded quite a step up from 400i anyway, which was treble canyon to my ears.

I guess that’s what’s concerning as I don’t like to use eq w hp’s.
(Curious what eq you guys might even use on the back end for things like Spotify iTunes etc.)

May land up w something like ananda eventually. Hmm

Jul 10, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #260 of 4,987
I guess that’s what’s concerning as I don’t like to use eq w hp’s.
(Curious what eq you guys might even use on the back end for things like Spotify iTunes etc.)

May land up w something like ananda eventually. Hmm

System-wide EQ (for Apple music, Tidal or any streaming services) is not that difficult (at least on Mac OSX). Soundflower and AULab can be used between system-wide input and output (both of them are free). Then DMG Equilibrium or Equality (which is plug-in) can be used on AULab.

This parametric EQ software is very powerful, pure and transparent than I thought. (But I don't recommend any other built-in EQ in various software at all.) You might want to try them as they are free (for at least 30 days). And I bet it will be very useful for any other headphones you will obtain in the future.

Bob Katz also gave his thoughts about them on his Innerfidelity writing.
https://www.innerfidelity.com/comment/500526#comment-500526

Jul 10, 2018 at 11:39 PM Post #262 of 4,987
I’m just gonna call it now- after a week of comparing and listening, about 5 years of continuous buying and selling, and listening to 10+ high end over ear headphones, ananda is THE ONE.

That’s not a light statement, I’ve thought I’ve gotten close, but this ones the real deal and best balance and combination of factors that are important to me.

Many have come close, but this is the one. I’m out boys, mark my words.

Unless it dies on me. Please don’t die on me.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #263 of 4,987
I’m just gonna call it now- after a week of comparing and listening, about 5 years of continuous buying and selling, and listening to 10+ high end over ear headphones, ananda is THE ONE.

That’s not a light statement, I’ve thought I’ve gotten close, but this ones the real deal and best balance and combination of factors that are important to me.

Could you kindly include some quick comparison notes compared to the high end headphones you've listened to, and especially the HEX v2 you own?

Jul 11, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #264 of 4,987

You're the second one in a week that makes a claim about the quality of the Ananda, I'm even thinking about getting one!

Like @Hedonism I also want to read your thoughts. Could you please compare it with the HEXv2 and the AKG K712? Also, which amp are you using? How does it change the sound when move from your phone to a dedicated amp? Can you comment on the build quality?

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #266 of 4,987

From what I've seen, they die very fast like within 10-20 hours if a unit is faulty. If you've passed that mark, I wouldn't worry much about it.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #267 of 4,987
Would be very interesting to hear from anyone that’s compared it to Auteur as well !

Why don't you try yourself? If you get Ananda from Ebay today, you can get it at $900 with the discount coupon. It is really competitive at $900 IMO. You can return it free if you decide to send it back within 14 days. Auteur seems a good option, but the price point is too high (almost double with some options) at which I would start to consider Utopia.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 1:23 PM Post #268 of 4,987
The consensus is very strong that these are a classics. Not having heard most of the line over the years, seems like this may go down with the HE-6 and HE-500 as "affordable" classics. Actually given relative prices at the time, these may well be more "budget" than those two.

If this opinion catches on then the cans they have out above these price wise are going to have to be redesigned/reissued, and existing models will get discontinued with a price cut. 560's NIB are down to $449 on Amazon.

Now if they apply themselves to QC that's expected on these shores for these prices, it would be good for everyone - except other planar makers.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #269 of 4,987
Why don't you try yourself? If you get Ananda from Ebay today, you can get it at $900 with the discount coupon. You can return it free if you decide to send it back within 14 days.

I know, that's what I'm afraid of. What if I love them and they survive all my torture tests unscathed? Nope gotta sell all the cans I don't use anymore first... fricken' common sense. This is audio, no room for that.

For now keep waxing ecstatic...

Jul 11, 2018 at 2:12 PM Post #270 of 4,987
Why don't you try yourself? If you get Ananda from Ebay today, you can get it at $900 with the discount coupon. It is really competitive at $900 IMO. You can return it free if you decide to send it back within 14 days. Auteur seems a good option, but the price point is too high (almost double with some options) at which I would start to consider Utopia.

I have pause because if a used, or B stock pair of Auteur is available it gives the consideration another level.
All in all it would just be nice to hear from others that have compared Ananda & Auteur for everyones benefit.

Ultimately it of course might come down to needing to try both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back