Hifiman Ananda
Jun 13, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #32 of 4,987
I would really like to know if this is just an HEX V2 with a new headband and 3.5mm connectors, or if it is actually a new headphone that just looks the same.

If this is just basically an HEX V3, then why would Fang give it a different name and undercut the price of the Edition X V2? That would be utter nonsense. And the specs are identical...

Jun 13, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #33 of 4,987
Also thinking about Mr.Speaker Aeon Flow Open as an option. Its got rave reviews and also comes with hard case. Can anyone compare AFO vs Hex V2

The Aeon Flow Open struck a great balanced between soft (HEXv2) and strong/sharp (Focal) sound for me. Unfortunately it doesn't have much in soundstage and imaging and I didn't like vocals on it much either. Depending on what you have to spend it may be a very good choice but to me it's not a high quality headphone although I can see why others like it.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #34 of 4,987
If this is just basically an HEX V3, then why would Fang give it a different name and undercut the price of the Edition X V2? That would be utter nonsense. And the specs are identical...
It is obvious that all their future models will have name, sounds cool today and better in marketing. And price this will make them more competitive and more people will buy it, it can be best in class as regards comfy, sound, easy used. My opinion this is V3.
I agree with dcguy or do not know who wrote it in past but if someone look on HiFiMAN price politic it is just matter of time they will have brand new line up from driver to new redesign as everyone punish them for built quality and prices.

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:43 PM Post #35 of 4,987
Wait, so the $500 Sundara has a higher frequency response 6hz-75khz than the $1000 Ananda that has 8hz-55khz? Why would a lower priced set of cans based on their new "Ultra Thin Diaphragm" have a better frequency response on a set of cans half the price?

As long as it faithfully reproduces between say 15 Hz - 25kHz it really doesn't matter how far the range is.Even the range I gave exceeds my hearing range, I could care less if it can hit frequencies my dog may not even be able to pick up. :0) It is a funny way to spec things, but not important at all.

Jun 13, 2018 at 7:33 PM Post #37 of 4,987
The Aeon Flow Open struck a great balanced between soft (HEXv2) and strong/sharp (Focal) sound for me. Unfortunately it doesn't have much in soundstage and imaging and I didn't like vocals on it much either. Depending on what you have to spend it may be a very good choice but to me it's not a high quality headphone although I can see why others like it.

Thanks, that helps. soundstage and mids are most important things for me so AFO is ruled out. I guess the toss is between another Hex V2 and Ananda. So i will wait for comparisons from
i20bot and bclark8923. My budget is up to 1500.

BTW, whats this soft sound that is being talked about Hex V2. If its about impact, i would suggest using portable amp instead of big ones. I used my older Marantz HD1 dac initially and sound was clean but distant and lacked bite and punch .... i guess a little soft. But when i plugged it in directly into laptop, i had more visceral impact of music. Fiio E17 Alpen has been the perfect companion for Hex V2. Hex V2 is indeed very sensitive and just needs a little more juice to shine.

Jun 13, 2018 at 11:45 PM Post #38 of 4,987
I've used the HEXv2 with iFi Nano Black Label and Micro Black Label, Chord Mojo, just a Fiio A5 amplifier, Modi2/Magni3, and Modi Multibit/Magni3. People in the HEX thread and elsewhere describe it as laid-back and relaxed, I think soft is a more direct word for it. The sound is generally softer than many other headphones, which is one thing I think the AFO might pretty much nail right. Depending on what you want it can be dissatisfying. Why are you not considering the Sennheiser HD800 or 800S? Should be the king of soundstage and while I've read the mids could be recessed generally I don't see complaints about mids, though I don't see much mentioning of mids at all.

Jun 14, 2018 at 12:20 AM Post #39 of 4,987
Alrighty, so I got a little head time with them. They both have the same tonality, same amount of bass, same trebles. But it is a bit faster and sharper. The bass is tighter although same amount. The stage is set better. On the Edition X, it sounds like there's a hole in the middle and vocals and everything plays outside of it. With Ananda they filled that hole by bringing the vocals in to the center and instruments laid out to the side. Makes it so vocals are a lot easier to focus on and everything separated better.

Packaging is the same, just has that "silk" cloth lined inside instead of just foam. Same cables, short cable with the 90 degree 3.5 plug with adapter and longer one with the straight 6.3 plug. The splitter isn't the same white opaque soft rubber though but it's a black hard plastic piece.

Jun 14, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #41 of 4,987
So how much of an overall improvement?

Their sound signature and tonality is pretty much still the same with Ananda being slightly faster and tighter. The biggest change/improvement is stage presentation. HEX is more of a tall out and around your head stage. The vocals on HEX to me seems further out and above. Ananda not being as tall, but just as wide, puts the vocals into the center giving it better separation and air.

Jun 14, 2018 at 4:55 AM Post #43 of 4,987
Yeah, tried it on my LGV20. Vocals a little hollow sounding on the HEX and it seems a little more forward than the Ananda. Had both at the same volume but I was wanting to turn down the volume on the HEX. Seemed a little more shoutty. I'm not liking the new headband though. I prefer the HEX headband. The arms aren't as thick and the top part is lower vs the round top of the headband on Ananda so it makes it even bigger.

Jun 14, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #44 of 4,987
Yeah, tried it on my LGV20. Vocals a little hollow sounding on the HEX and it seems a little more forward than the Ananda. Had both at the same volume but I was wanting to turn down the volume on the HEX. Seemed a little more shoutty. I'm not liking the new headband though. I prefer the HEX headband. The arms aren't as thick and the top part is lower vs the round top of the headband on Ananda so it makes it even bigger.

Thanks for the quick review. a few questions.

Is new headband an aesthetic issue or a comfort issue ?
Are you comparing with HEX or HEX 2 ?
Did any amp help ?

So far its sounds like Ananda is marginally better (sound stage, vocals) than HEX v2 for 200$ less. I guess i should go for it then.

Jun 15, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #45 of 4,987
Thanks for the quick review. a few questions.

Is new headband an aesthetic issue or a comfort issue ?
Are you comparing with HEX or HEX 2 ?
Did any amp help ?

So far its sounds like Ananda is marginally better (sound stage, vocals) than HEX v2 for 200$ less. I guess i should go for it then.

Headband is an aesthetic issue for me but it can't swivel anymore like the HEX so that might be an issue. Comparison is with the HEX V2. But yeah, Ananda is better and cheaper. Sharper with tighter bass and vocals placed correctly making everything more coherent.

My setup is Mimby with Garage1217's Project Horizon III tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back