Hifiman Ananda
May 26, 2020 at 12:29 PM Post #2,056 of 4,987
The Ananda is the best headphone money can buy and you won't find anything better even if you spend $10,000. 😏

Hey bait! It's cool.. carry on...

May 26, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #2,057 of 4,987
I think most of the controversy comes from unorthodox earcup design, headband design and fit/seal. Natural dip just before the 8k ''peak'' making 8k look like an issue in some graphs. Also most of those graphs shows Sundara and Ananda bass same which is wrong. Ananda has significantly more bass.

I think you are the one who defending his financial and ego investment since Ananda is literally way cheaper and updated/improved HEX v2. It also has way better tonality than HD800, 800S.

HFM large cups are difficult to get into the right listening position.

I don't own any Senn outside of the 600.

I listened to the Ananda on some good gear and found the mids flat, and detail pumped up by the bright 7-10kHz rise. At the original list I decided, no thanks. I bought the HEX v2 used w/o ever hearing it for $712. I liked them once I got the cup height correct. Two things they do I don't like is a bit of upper bass bump, and a broad -3db upper midrange dip (sort of Audeze like). OTOH, they are more cohesive, have more subtle highs, do not get detail from a frequency rise, have more depth in the mids than the Ananda. With parametric EQ they now have the same dynamics as other similar HFM's, and outside of the usual lack of impact from big cup HFM's, they are in my regular rotation for 30% of the time. I would like to try the Ananda's again in my set-up: Rag 1, Gumby a, LG v40/TIDAL/Tone Boosters.

I've sold 6-7 cans the past 3 years, I've got 4 I won't sell, and this is one of them. AFAIC tell they are holding steady at $750 these days.

Last edited:
May 26, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #2,058 of 4,987
Andanda doesn't sound like updated HEXV2 (or even that similar), but I do find Ananda definately superior in technicalities, and I it does sound more detailed than HEXV2 because HEXV2 is reduced in the upper-mids is correct, but signficantly from what I see from measurements. Even more so than the V1 (which is why I'm curious about V1). HEXV2 doesn't have as tight transients, and has graininess or low resolution type sound without much transparency. That's the impression I got regarding the two. I did't have issue with Ananda's treble, or find it too much. Like I said, HEK series has the more stronger treble presence, and I would say Ananda is more upper-mids type of emphasis. Tonally, it should be reflected like even with the classic Hifimans (with their treble glimmer, in which I find them to have more sparkle than the Ananda).

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #2,059 of 4,987
Sorry to butt into the discussion, but I recently bought an Ananda and, as dumb as this sounds, am struggling to remove the earpads. The manual mentions two hooks under the earpads but I'm been fiddling around and can't find them for the life of me. I'm afraid I might break the connectors or tear the pads if I just brute force it. How the hell do you get these things off?

May 27, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #2,060 of 4,987
Andanda doesn't sound like updated HEXV2 (or even that similar), but I do find Ananda definately superior in technicalities, and I it does sound more detailed than HEXV2 because HEXV2 is reduced in the upper-mids is correct, but signficantly from what I see from measurements. Even more so than the V1 (which is why I'm curious about V1). HEXV2 doesn't have as tight transients, and has graininess or low resolution type sound without much transparency. That's the impression I got regarding the two. I did't have issue with Ananda's treble, or find it too much. Like I said, HEK series has the more stronger treble presence, and I would say Ananda is more upper-mids type of emphasis. Tonally, it should be reflected like even with the classic Hifimans (with their treble glimmer, in which I find them to have more sparkle than the Ananda).

I'm not quite experienced headphone listener, so my opinion's validity is limited. Anyway, I enjoy Ananda very much, especially after I found specific position of it on my head (headband on forehead, earcups don't fit completely, leave some small gap under my ears). It is so much better than my old Sennheiser HD565! Before purchase, I listened to various dynamic models in the shop - Sennheiser HD800, Focals, Meze 99 - nothing sounded good to my ears. They had only two models which I found at all listenable: Ananda and Empyrean. Well, OK, Meze 99 were also fine, but different class.

May 27, 2020 at 10:00 AM Post #2,061 of 4,987
Sorry to butt into the discussion, but I recently bought an Ananda and, as dumb as this sounds, am struggling to remove the earpads. The manual mentions two hooks under the earpads but I'm been fiddling around and can't find them for the life of me. I'm afraid I might break the connectors or tear the pads if I just brute force it. How the hell do you get these things off?
Why do you want to remove the earpads? I recommend not to remove it unless you want to change into new earpads.

The hooks under the earpads are thin plastic and fragile. I almost broke mine when I removed it. Basically, you need to kinda press inward to bent the plastic to unhook it and take it out. Please note that it is even harder to put it back, in my experience. I am not taking it off ever again.

May 27, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #2,062 of 4,987
I'm not quite experienced headphone listener, so my opinion's validity is limited. Anyway, I enjoy Ananda very much, especially after I found specific position of it on my head (headband on forehead, earcups don't fit completely, leave some small gap under my ears). It is so much better than my old Sennheiser HD565! Before purchase, I listened to various dynamic models in the shop - Sennheiser HD800, Focals, Meze 99 - nothing sounded good to my ears. They had only two models which I found at all listenable: Ananda and Empyrean. Well, OK, Meze 99 were also fine, but different class.

All of the HFM large cup cans are tough to get on the right position to get the most out of them. I have an above average head in size and length, and even in the minimum position the center of the driver is about 3/4" below the entrance to my ear.

Until I got the "nuggets" from Dekoni I was using hand towels to try and get them up. The nuggets are perfect for me, but still may not be enough for some. Once I got the HEX v2 right, the technicals they are said to lack came out quite nicely. While the recessed upper mid range didn't change, the treble became much more detailed. I tried a silver cable and that may or may not have added some tinkle up high, but it could have been expectation.

The HEX v2 in the most laid back of all the HFM large can headphones, it would seem to be to most critical to get positioned right, since all the others have excess output over 3k (Arya 5kHz, Ananda 7-10kHz, HEK v1 (several places)).

May 27, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #2,063 of 4,987
Here: https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphones/ literally best tuned headphone according to crinacle. Value king in his list.
One thing I can definately agree with Crinacle on. I would rank the HD600/650/6XX higher than the Auteur. Auteur got a really weird tonality and sound just seems off that I'd feel terrible for spending $1600 for wood that colors the sound. HD600/650/6XX easily sounds more accurate than the Auteur. I'm a fan of Sennys, not so much of ZMFs. Never been tempted with Verite after the Autuer.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #2,064 of 4,987
This is a really nice comparison between headphones IMO:

Lots of Hifiman in there but also a few others to compare. They also show measurements of the headphones and comment on them.
I think the Ananda competes really well especially for the price.:L3000:

May 28, 2020 at 1:33 PM Post #2,065 of 4,987
After few years using hd6xx/650 as my reference headphone, i bought the ananda to replace it, abit mixed feeling at first since u lose that lushness of mids & tad bit of dynamics 650 have, not recommend for those who want intimate sound. But in return u got amazing bass response, the highs are so refined and articulate (easy to hear, no sibilant at least on my song tracks) more musical at top end, much better detail retrieval, larger soundstage, very clear separation and spacing of instrument.

I sold my 6xx/650 after that, which i know stupid things to do, but i like to keep 1 headphone at a time only. I consider its an upgrade over 650 since i'm willing to lose that warmth of 650 for much better technicalities, and i know someone out there will think otherwise.

Both driven through 4.4mm wm1a (uncapped high gain at 90/120 click) . I'm sure they both will sound better on desk amp (especially 650 since it scale greatly with better amplification) but for now i rather keep my sound reference with DAP as it suit my daily usage.

May 28, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #2,066 of 4,987
Why do you want to remove the earpads? I recommend not to remove it unless you want to change into new earpads.

The hooks under the earpads are thin plastic and fragile. I almost broke mine when I removed it. Basically, you need to kinda press inward to bent the plastic to unhook it and take it out. Please note that it is even harder to put it back, in my experience. I am not taking it off ever again.
Well, for one, to remove a piece of hair that accidentally passed through the earpad's dust cover. A buzzing noise will result from that, and one needs access to the driver to pull out the hair (carefully). I had to do just that after noticing a buzzing sound in one of the earcups of an Ananda I had at the time.

Last edited:
May 28, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #2,067 of 4,987
Maybe impossible to answer, but the Ananda has dropped to around $646 over here. Do you think it will drop again over the next year, or is this the time to grab them? Fell in love when I heard them last year at CanJam and I've started obsessing...
Paid $699 from Amazon. Best $700 I ever spent. I bought the HE-400 and found them to be heavy and muddy even with some tweeks. After about a year I dug my AKG K702's out and they smoked the 400's. So it was with some trepidations I bought the Anandas. These are the best I've ever heard including Senn. HD650's. Now I need a new DAC. But that's the way this hobby works.

May 28, 2020 at 9:20 PM Post #2,068 of 4,987
Does anyone here own the Focal Elex? I'm not looking for a head to head comparison since my it seems they have a different sound signature (per online reviews). What I would like to know is if they complement each other. Maybe having arguably, the best under 1k ea. Dynamic driver and planar magnetic headphone combo....k-k-k-k-k-k combo breaker...

May 28, 2020 at 9:33 PM Post #2,069 of 4,987
Does anyone here own the Focal Elex? I'm not looking for a head to head comparison since my it seems they have a different sound signature (per online reviews). What I would like to know is if they complement each other. Maybe having arguably, the best under 1k ea. Dynamic driver and planar magnetic headphone combo....k-k-k-k-k-k combo breaker...
I have both. I tend to go through phases where I will spend a week or two listening to one, and then shift over to the other. One day I should characterize what music sounds best with each, but I haven't started that project.

Take Care--
Jerry

May 28, 2020 at 11:23 PM Post #2,070 of 4,987
Paid $699 from Amazon. Best $700 I ever spent. I bought the HE-400 and found them to be heavy and muddy even with some tweeks. After about a year I dug my AKG K702's out and they smoked the 400's. So it was with some trepidations I bought the Anandas. These are the best I've ever heard including Senn. HD650's. Now I need a new DAC. But that's the way this hobby works.

Thanks! Yes, I bought them too (had I waited a couple of weeks I could have saved a bit more, but there you go) - love them to bits. Very happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back