Hifiman Ananda
Dec 20, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #1,651 of 4,987
The Ananda is similar tonality to the hd800, at least the hd800s. Just doesn’t have as big of soundstage

edition x will be better to find something with a different tuning

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:09 AM Post #1,652 of 4,987
Thanks, just wondering if the anandas could compliment my 800s

Not the most logical headphones to pair it with. Anandas biggest weak spot is it lack of dynamic due to compression plus open back. HD 800s have better dynamics but it still wont manage to build the pressure like some of the closed headphones and while different have similar "bright" tone balance.

I would pass over to the dark side. Kennerton magni really has the dynamic I was after and offer something different. Denon d7200 also pleasant but to soft

Dec 21, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #1,653 of 4,987

Well in the planar world the Ananda is kind of like the planar version of an HD800s in that they both lean a bit bright and have good soundstaging and imaging. However, headphones in the high end planar world seem in general darker than in the high end dynamic world.

I briefly heard both HD800s and Ananda at the same time (though I'm going off of memory now) and thought HD800s had more obviously wide soundstage but bass on Ananda seemed to have more quantity. Overall you would probably find Ananda richer sounding even though it is on the leaner side for a planar. For truly opposite type of sound signature to HD800s (i.e. dark sound signature, weightier dynamics, focused soundstage, richer bass) you might lean in the direction of a high end Audeze.

By the way has anyone compared LCD2 Classic to Ananda? Was wondering whether the LCD2 Classic beats out the Ananda on bass quantity and impact...?

Dec 21, 2019 at 3:12 AM Post #1,654 of 4,987
close to these price points I found my hd800 and lcd2 complemented each other really well

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:36 AM Post #1,656 of 4,987
Since we're on this topic, would like to know if Ananda would compliment my 800s & LCD2C. I haven't got time to audition it. I've never owned a HF cans before. Just want to have one in my collection & I believe it could be the Ananda. Arya is just too expensive to me.

Too bad Hexv2 is no longer on sale & not sure if Massdrop Edition XX is a safer route to go

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:40 AM Post #1,658 of 4,987
Just to clarify, the Ananda already does have a bit more bass than the HD800s. It already is leaning in the direction of being a warmer/richer headphone - but only slightly. To go the full opposite from HD800s, something like an Audeze or ZMF would likely fill that role better.

I wonder if even a Focal Clear would be a good compliment as they are different to the HD800s in a few key ways; more bass quantity and more immediate/upfront dynamics and a more intimate soundstage. However, I've heard a few people say the Clears are overall similar to the HD800s so not entirely sure they'd be a good compliment.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #1,659 of 4,987
Since we're on this topic, would like to know if Ananda would compliment my 800s & LCD2C

In what way are you looking to compliment? You already have relatively extreme warmth, bass, and dynamic impact in your LCD2 Classic and relatively extreme leanness, soundstage and detail in your HD800s? The Ananda would be somewhere in the middle of this spectrum (leaning more towards the HD800s).

What are you looking for to compliment these 2 extremes? Something with a v-shaped frequency response?

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #1,660 of 4,987
Since we're on this topic, would like to know if Ananda would compliment my 800s & LCD2C. I haven't got time to audition it. I've never owned a HF cans before. Just want to have one in my collection & I believe it could be the Ananda. Arya is just too expensive to me.

Too bad Hexv2 is no longer on sale & not sure if Massdrop Edition XX is a safer route to go

I also had the lcd 2 pre fazer when I got my ananda. Its also different but since The magni rocks harder I never miss it but yes though I guess magneplanars by nature is soft. I have the focal elear as well that do decent for rock on my tube amplifier as well. I put both that and the lcd2 for sale when getting the ananda. Now my ananda and elear is for sale. Hopefully I wont miss it. Have a koss esp-95x on its way.

Dec 21, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,661 of 4,987
I also had the lcd 2 pre fazer when I got my ananda. Its also different but since The magni rocks harder I never miss it but yes though I guess magneplanars by nature is soft. I have the focal elear as well that do decent for rock on my tube amplifier as well. I put both that and the lcd2 for sale when getting the ananda. Now my ananda and elear is for sale. Hopefully I wont miss it. Have a koss esp-95x on its way.

Hi bro thanks for your feedback!

Dec 21, 2019 at 6:38 AM Post #1,662 of 4,987
Well in the planar world the Ananda is kind of like the planar version of an HD800s in that they both lean a bit bright and have good soundstaging and imaging. However, headphones in the high end planar world seem in general darker than in the high end dynamic world.

I briefly heard both HD800s and Ananda at the same time (though I'm going off of memory now) and thought HD800s had more obviously wide soundstage but bass on Ananda seemed to have more quantity. Overall you would probably find Ananda richer sounding even though it is on the leaner side for a planar. For truly opposite type of sound signature to HD800s (i.e. dark sound signature, weightier dynamics, focused soundstage, richer bass) you might lean in the direction of a high end Audeze.

By the way has anyone compared LCD2 Classic to Ananda? Was wondering whether the LCD2 Classic beats out the Ananda on bass quantity and impact...?
Depends on what planar we're talking about. Audeze has been reputed to be typically darker, but Hifiman the other way.

I find that the Planar and electrostats has potential to sound brighter and more vivid, but with quick notes or timbre, which comes off less natural than dynamic timbre.

I think the reason why 800 share similarity is due to it's treble emphasis. 800 without EQ sounds like the most weight of the definition is in the treble without much of upper mids to help define the sounds. Treble stands out too much. The mids definition is lacking, and it's quite obvious for those coming from better mids defined headphones. Bass depends on amping. Some amps brings out lots of bass out of 300ohm dynamic drivers.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:52 AM Post #1,663 of 4,987
In what way are you looking to compliment? You already have relatively extreme warmth, bass, and dynamic impact in your LCD2 Classic and relatively extreme leanness, soundstage and detail in your HD800s? The Ananda would be somewhere in the middle of this spectrum (leaning more towards the HD800s).

What are you looking for to compliment these 2 extremes? Something with a v-shaped frequency response?

Hi. Ok this may sound weird. Actually I always wanted to own a HF headphone. I started this hobby with Sennheiser HD650 & AKG K701. I planned to get 400i back then as my 1st planar but there was a good deal of LCD2C so I went for it. Then I bought a used but mint 800s and recently an E-MU Teak.

Still, I still want to own a HF and identified Ananda to be the one as it's within my budget. So, I just want to know whether owning an Ananda would actually offers me something new but if it's not, then I'd pass.

I'll find time to audition it, in the future.

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #1,664 of 4,987
Not the most logical headphones to pair it with. Anandas biggest weak spot is it lack of dynamic due to compression plus open back. HD 800s have better dynamics but it still wont manage to build the pressure like some of the closed headphones and while different have similar "bright" tone balance.

I would pass over to the dark side. Kennerton magni really has the dynamic I was after and offer something different. Denon d7200 also pleasant but to soft

Just looked up Kennerton's. They look awesome. Have you heard them?

Dec 21, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #1,665 of 4,987
Just how unreliable are Hifiman? Do their new products tend to arrive defective or partially broken? I bought a new Ananda (imported from US to UK) and I'm really not looking forwards to bouncing it back and forth if I discover a driver doesn't work or the grill housing is broken on arrival...
I own six HFM headphones, 5 new and the HEX V2 used, and have had no issues. However, if you do, you could always disassemble your Ananda and take pictures of it, and then post the disassembled pictures on here asking if we know what’s wrong with it instead of returning it so we can all get a good laugh out of it and ask why you did that? ; )

Just kidding, don’t do that as it didn’t go well last month when somebody did this. (laughing)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back