Hifiman 801 Appreciation thread
Sep 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM Post #526 of 552

Good to know, what is the Game Board? And what is the Stock board called 

GAME = Ganqi bay Amplifier Module for Earphones.
Stock amp = Standard amp.

Note that - unfortuneately - the GAME amp has an output impedance of 32 Ohm and that the Standard/Stock amp has a 18 Ohm output impedance. This is relevant for low impedance multi-BA IEMs since these usually will get a boost in the upper frequencies and a bass roll off. This might not be a bad thing with some (bass heavy, dark sounding) IEMs, but on others (bass shy, bright sounding) it will certainly pull the wrong way.

In addition the bass control will be lowered on dynamic drivers (compared to an amp with a very low output impedance). Not sure if BA bass-drivers will be affected in this way.

Sep 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #527 of 552
  GAME = Ganqi bay Amplifier Module for Earphones.
Stock amp = Standard amp.

Note that - unfortuneately - the GAME amp has an output impedance of 32 Ohm and that the Standard/Stock amp has a 18 Ohm output impedance. This is relevant for low impedance multi-BA IEMs since these usually will get a boost in the upper frequencies and a bass roll off. This might not be a bad thing with some (bass heavy, dark sounding) IEMs, but on others (bass shy, bright sounding) it will certainly pull the wrong way.

In addition the bass control will be lowered on dynamic drivers (compared to an amp with a very low output impedance). Not sure if BA bass-drivers will be affected in this way.

Okie dokie, I'm using an amp with my Hm 801 anyways [Just wanted her for the Dac chip honestly] 

Sep 18, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #528 of 552
This is very interesting - what headphones do you use where there's no pop between tracks when using a "normal" volume level (not lowered)? And are you using headphone out or line out? Which amp module? Battery or AC adaptor? Which firmware version? Thanks!
What headphones? Headphone out or line out? Which amp module? Battery or AC adaptor? Thanks!
What headphones? Headphone out or line out? Which amp module? Battery or AC adaptor? Thanks!

(I'm trying to identify the precipitating factor here, but it might simply be that some of us have defective units.)

Mike

Sorry, haven't had time lately to read much out here and just got to this. I don't remember hearing pops as stated above and per your question, flac files of regular cd's, and both 24/48 and 24/96 bit rates. Use edition 8, es10 and jh13 headphones sometimes hp out other times line out to Pico or Pico power amps.

May 1, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #533 of 552
Hi. Anyone could give me direction of how to turn the eq off in the player. I was meddling with the eq, and now the eq icon keep showing off even after I set all the eq bar to zero. thx

May 4, 2014 at 5:04 AM Post #534 of 552
I don't have the 801 anymore, but IIRC: Go in the settings/menu and choose "normal". You can also disable the EQ completely. However, this was with older firmware versions, so this might no apply in the newest one ... If everything else fails - contact Head-Direct.

Jun 2, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #535 of 552
  Here you go. http://nekaka.com/d/k9Uj1ke2O2

BTW, 0.19 is the best sounding firmware. Check it out. There is no problem with SD if you make a dualboot firmware (0.19 + Rockbox). 

Just to know what happens: If I install ("downgrade") to 0.19 and patch it with rockbox, will it be the 0.19-Firmware that handles the sound, or is this part overwritten by rockbox? In other terms: If I install rockbox (as dual boot over the original firmware), does the sound quality depend on the original firmware version that was installed first?

Jun 2, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #536 of 552
Just to know what happens: If I install ("downgrade") to 0.19 and patch it with rockbox, will it be the 0.19-Firmware that handles the sound, or is this part overwritten by rockbox? In other terms: If I install rockbox (as dual boot over the original firmware), does the sound quality depend on the original firmware version that was installed first?

They are independent from each other. You want to install Rockbox?

Jun 3, 2016 at 9:46 AM Post #537 of 552
They are independent from each other. You want to install Rockbox?

I already did. Originally my FW was Version 0.23. After reading that 0.19 seems to have a better sound quality, I installed 0.19 beta. And then I installed Rockbox over it, which actually results in dual boot now. I must say that it sounds awesome with Rockbox. I have the impression that Rockbox soundstage is more precise and timing is better with Rockbox than playing with 0.19. Anyway, comparison makes it difficult, so I am not really sure about the differences, as rebooting and searching the track each time detracts from the sound impressions.

The question came because I read somewhere, that rockbox "patched" the original FW, so this sounded to me as if some parts of the originally installed FW staid in place.

Jun 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #538 of 552
FYI Rockbox doesn't play 24-bit files natively. 24-bit files are scaled down to CD format before the DAC chip receives the signal.

Jun 4, 2016 at 3:44 AM Post #539 of 552
OK that's good to know, thanks. Not cool... Why the heck do they do this...? Does not make much sense imo. However, for what I listend up to now, all was 16bit/44.1khz material and sounded good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back