HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 30, 2010 at 3:00 PM Post #691 of 1,195

Quote:
My 602 is not recognized by my Linux (version Zonbu).   It shows connected on the 602 screen for a short time then defaults back to the playing screen.   It never shows up as a drive on my monitor.   I have not yet tried the latest Linux versions.   I had the same problem with the Nuforce uDAC.  

All of my other USB items, including all of my portable drives and flash drives show up just fine. 

Despite this difficulty, I still consider the HM-602 to be a superb all-in-one, do-about-everything DAP.  

maybe you should get a proper USB driver

Oct 30, 2010 at 3:28 PM Post #692 of 1,195

Quote:
They certainly ship to Europe. I seemed to get mine (in the UK) ahead of some other countries who had possibly been waiting longer.

As for the shuffle facility... well, let's just say if you are a big fan of shuffle, you may not be overly impressed. (My opinion: a small price to pay for SQ that could have been tailor-made for me).

Whats wrong with the shuffle feature?

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:01 PM Post #693 of 1,195

Quote:
Last year, I ordered a watch from Lum-Tec through the advice of other members on the watch forum on Head-Fi. ... Sometimes it just be that way. I'm still waiting for my Reference from Xin and it's been 2 years.

Did you actually pay for it two years ago? I'm not trying to slag Head Direct -- I know they're a small company creating a specialty product, and Fang has been very responsive to all of my emails -- but one issue here is that these were all paid for when the pre-orders were put in.

But like I said, I'm not intending to diss HD, and since this is an impressions thread and not a griping thread, I'll keep any further comments to the actual unit and not payment, delivery, or anything else...

Oct 30, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #694 of 1,195
Old Xin, is he still alive? I got lucky that I got my amp from him in less than 2 months after I paid. It was for a supermacro V I believe. Anyway, it is a terrible thing for someone to run away with someone else's money.

Oct 30, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #695 of 1,195

Last year, I ordered a watch from Lum-Tec through the advice of other members on the watch forum on Head-Fi. I ordered it in March and was told that it would be ready in July. I finally wrote them in August, and asked what was going going on. The owner wrote me back and told me that there were some delays and I should receive mine in September. I asked why I wasn't written to, explaining of the delay and received no response. Well now, here it is, 20 months later and still no correspondence and no watch. 
Sometimes it just be that way. I'm still waiting for my Reference from Xin and it's been 2 years.
I find the customer service from Head-Direct to be excellent compared to most audio companies.. At least you got your delivery. 

It's been 2 years and I haven't gotten my Xin Mini IV with extra opamps either. I don't actually expect to ever get it though.

Oct 30, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #696 of 1,195
I used my 602 for a couple of hours and was really liking it.  I recharged it for several hours and when I unplugged the power it had a buzzing noise that wouldn't go away.  I let it rest for a couple hours and the noise wasn't initially there but after a couple songs it returned.  It has since had a day off and I am 20min in and it hasn't restarted.  What was this from?  How do I avoid it? And is this bad when this happens?

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #697 of 1,195

Quote:
I used my 602 for a couple of hours and was really liking it.  I recharged it for several hours and when I unplugged the power it had a buzzing noise that wouldn't go away.  I let it rest for a couple hours and the noise wasn't initially there but after a couple songs it returned.  It has since had a day off and I am 20min in and it hasn't restarted.  What was this from?  How do I avoid it? And is this bad when this happens?

You may want to reset the device if the noise returns.  If that doesn't fix it, contact Head-Direct for warranty replacement.  It is definitely not normal to hear buzzing after the device being unplugged (I'm assuming you were using the JH16s on Low Gain).

Oct 30, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #698 of 1,195

I was using on low gain but honestly there is limited difference to low and high.  I wish the difference was more significant and I could dial it to 7 or so.  Right now I listen to it where the n or min sits on the border.
Quote:
You may want to reset the device if the noise returns.  If that doesn't fix it, contact Head-Direct for warranty replacement.  It is definitely not normal to hear buzzing after the device being unplugged (I'm assuming you were using the JH16s on Low Gain).

Oct 30, 2010 at 10:15 PM Post #699 of 1,195

Quote:
Did you actually pay for it two years ago? 

No, but I did pay $1500 in May to JH Audio for my JH-16's and JH3A and at the time, they told me "no refunds", and I did pay for my Xin Reference.
I also paid $5000 to Jan Meier in '96 to get an Orpheus (don't have it now) and that went way past it's promised date

If I was in college and I was eating "Oodles of Noodles" just so I could lay out the money for a 602 it would be different. But at 51, with a kid in college and another one going soon, $400 is a bad day in Las Vegas for me (especially with a wife that's been unemployed for 18 months after 19 years of loyal service). When I laid out the money, I knew it was expendable cash (most of audio is). I sold my HD800's so I could try some new toys.

I am not in any way, shape or form trying to be condescending. Don't get me wrong, I see your point, but in a couple of weeks this will all be old news.

I used to be able to buy what I wanted, when I wanted it, but in today's economy, I have to sell something to buy something. I sold my Panerai to make a couple
of mortgage payments. But still, I anticipate setbacks and surprises. It's part of the chase.

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:32 AM Post #700 of 1,195

Quote:
I was using on low gain but honestly there is limited difference to low and high.  I wish the difference was more significant and I could dial it to 7 or so.  Right now I listen to it where the n or min sits on the border.

Agreed.  Thankfully I use the LO so its no matter.  I set to low and volume to min and enjoy the extended battery.  

Oct 31, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #701 of 1,195
ouch !!!!!! and ouch !! bet that baby must look really good on your huge wrist
wink.gif

yeah........ problem is with current US government fiasco and mortgage servicer drama...... even loyal and faithful taxpayer and on time mortgage owner have to wonder if there is any meaning to continue paying? if help is not really given from SAM and banks will take away regardless...... knowing they just trying to milk you to the last drop...... 

Quote:
I sold my Panerai to make a couple of mortgage payments. But still, I anticipate setbacks and surprises. It's part of the chase.

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:39 AM Post #702 of 1,195
Until now my only complaint is its battery life and the volume dial. I would've really liked it if was the other way around. Pulling to the right to decrease volume just doesn't seem right. Well I'll get used to it anyway.

Oct 31, 2010 at 11:57 AM Post #703 of 1,195

Quote:
Until now my only complaint is its battery life and the volume dial. I would've really liked it if was the other way around. Pulling to the right to decrease volume just doesn't seem right. Well I'll get used to it anyway.

yep. I always turn the volume up when I really want to turn it down

Oct 31, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #704 of 1,195

Quote:
ouch !!!!!! and ouch !! bet that baby must look really good on your huge wrist
wink.gif

yeah........ problem is with current US government fiasco and mortgage servicer drama...... even loyal and faithful taxpayer and on time mortgage owner have to wonder if there is any meaning to continue paying? if help is not really given from SAM and banks will take away regardless...... knowing they just trying to milk you to the last drop...... 

I don't have a big wrist. I am 180 lbs. and 5'11' tall. They're pretty average.

The Panerai/mortgage substitute was a temporary thing. I was on short term disability for my back and I was only getting 60% pay (wife on unemployment) and I didn't receive a check for 8 freakin' weeks. Then, when I did get my first check, it was taxed at a 45% rate. So here you are, hurt, and the government takes away half your money. Typical government sense.
I did get 3.2 hours per day from my job for 6 weeks by giving up 10 days of vacation. But when I got back, there was a 2 week delay before I got paid, and when I got paid, they took out 10 weeks of insurance and benefits payments (about $600), so it was really 4 more weeks before I even came close to getting back on track.

Sorry for the OT, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Oct 31, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #705 of 1,195

Quote:

Quote:
yep. I always turn the volume up when I really want to turn it down

I used to get it backwards too.  Now I just remember to roll the volume control towards the headphone cord to fill up the headphone with more volume.

I'm not using anything else for portable anymore, while the 801 stays in the bedside rig with my modded Stax SR-001 for listening in bed.  Battery life may not be the greatest, but I can plug it in every night to charge it up, even though I may only use it 3-4 hours during a typical day with 50% or more of the battery still left.  My previous iMod with extended battery gave about 14 hours if not touched during that time with a long playlist, but only about 10 hours if I changed the music after every album was done.  In that respect the 602 battery isn't so bad.

Quote:
I don't have a big wrist. I am 180 lbs. and 5'11' tall. They're pretty average.

The Panerai/mortgage substitute was a temporary thing. I was on short term disability for my back and I was only getting 60% pay (wife on unemployment) and I didn't receive a check for 8 freakin' weeks. Then, when I did get my first check, it was taxed at a 45% rate. So here you are, hurt, and the government takes away half your money. Typical government sense.
I did get 3.2 hours per day from my job for 6 weeks by giving up 10 days of vacation. But when I got back, there was a 2 week delay before I got paid, and when I got paid, they took out 10 weeks of insurance and benefits payments (about $600), so it was really 4 more weeks before I even came close to getting back on track.

Sorry for the OT, but life gets in the way sometimes.

Life definitely gets in the way.  When I became disabled with my lung disease in Aug 1998 I worked half-time after that, but I didn't get my first private disability check until May 1999.  By then I'd gone bankrupt and closed my medical practice (I should have been incorporated so only the office would go bankrupt, but the work debts, leases and mortgages were my debts and it took me down).  

Fortunately my wife is healthy and has 12 weeks of paid time off saved up right now, and if she was disabled her short term disability kicks in after 60 days, so there could be an overlap.  Plus if she wanted to, or if she was fired or disabled, she can retire after December on a pension of 75% her previous salary (If she works two more years that will go to 80%). That's good to know with both a 10th and 11th grader going to college soon, and a 7th grader not too far behind. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back