HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Jul 16, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #62 of 1,195
The choice of the TAD 1543 is interesting. Yeo at diyparadise played with that chip a lot before deciding that he prefers the TAD 1545 for the Monica DAC. (The TAD 1545 is an EIAJ not I2S format chip.) It is at the heart of my USB Monica and it is indeed beautiful. Warm and organic mids with slightly rolled off treble (beautiful synergy with the DT880/600 ohm) and powerful bass. I hope that the TAD 1543 sounds as good.

Jul 26, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #64 of 1,195
That whimpering sound is your wallet as you enter the head-fi zone.
smile.gif

Jul 26, 2010 at 10:09 PM Post #65 of 1,195
Jul 27, 2010 at 4:46 AM Post #71 of 1,195
I'm not sure the roll-off has been consistently reported by all users, and given the RMAA tests I saw it should be minimal with neutral or brighter headphones. Might become too obvious though with already rolled-off headphones. BTW, could the rolled-off issue be impedance dependent as the bass roll off of most DAP is ?

Jul 27, 2010 at 7:18 AM Post #73 of 1,195

Quote:
I'm not sure the roll-off has been consistently reported by all users, and given the RMAA tests I saw it should be minimal with neutral or brighter headphones. Might become too obvious though with already rolled-off headphones. BTW, could the rolled-off issue be impedance dependent as the bass roll off of most DAP is ?

I found the HM-801's sweet and slightly laid back highs to be a perfect match for the Beyer DT880 when I tested it. The DT880 driven by a player with "flat" response sounds excessively bright and grainy up top. Headphones with neutral to energetic highs should be great matches, but ones that have inherently recessed highs or have a dark signature may not be.

I'm hoping that the 602 keeps the 801's sweet sounding nature. I love detail, but brightness is very fatiguing. I can only listen to the Cowon S9 for a couple of hours before I have to turn it off because of listening fatigue. The HM-801 on the other hand, I could listen to all day.

Jul 27, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #74 of 1,195

Quote:
That whimpering sound is your wallet as you enter the head-fi zone.
smile.gif

Quote:
Cyninger, Welcome! Sorry about your wallet. :)

Thank y'all - It's going to be brutal.

As a guitar player, the parlance used by players describing the "need" for different guitars, amps or effects is called GAS - Guitar/Gear Acquisition Syndrome.  In stumbling around here for the past few weeks, my observations are that most everone here has a healthy to serious dose of GAS.

Oh, the things we do for our own enjoyment...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back