HiFiMAN 602: Talk about your initial impressions and specs
Oct 15, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #482 of 1,195

Quote:
I'm not using a SDHC card yet. So it's just the internal memory.

What is the EFI and SMC? Should I bother resetting it?

They are two different system controllers on the Macs with updateable firmware and sometimes resetting them fixes certain issues, USB file transfer being one of them.  I did a casual scan on the latest Mac forums, but assuming you are running OSX 10.6.4 you have the latest and greatest and there are no systematic bugs out there being reported (doesn't meant there aren't any).  

The HM-602 is nothing special from a Mac standpoint, just another USB drive formatted as FAT32.  Have you been able to transfer ANY files successfully and the error occurs always at the same point or randomly?

Resetting the EFI and SMC doesn't hurt and while you're at it may as well reset the PRAM and see if the problem persists.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #483 of 1,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp08 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you been able to transfer ANY files successfully and the error occurs always at the same point or randomly?

Yeah I'm getting some things to sync now. But it still ejects every, roughly, second time when trying to sync an album.

The problem happens with mp3s and FLAC, no matter what USB port I use, no matter what cable I use, no matter if the HM-602 is on or off when I plug it in, no matter what I do with BlueHarvest, no matter if the HM-602 is plugged in to the charger or not, the MacBook Pro plugged in to the charger or not...

I've tried to isolate the problem but I can't seem to do so.

Oct 15, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #484 of 1,195

Quote:
Yeah I'm getting some things to sync now. But it still ejects every, roughly, second time when trying to sync an album.

The problem happens with mp3s and FLAC, no matter what USB port I use, no matter what cable I use, no matter if the HM-602 is on or off when I plug it in, no matter what I do with BlueHarvest, no matter if the HM-602 is plugged in to the charger or not, the MacBook Pro plugged in to the charger or not...

I've tried to isolate the problem but I can't seem to do so.

Hmm, what was the last time you ran Repair Permissions from Disk Utility.  If it's been a while just run it.

Next, do try resetting the PRAM.  It goes like this:

While restarting Mac hold down the following key comboCommand-Option-P-R. Keep holding those keys down till you hear the second start-up chime, then release. 

If none of these work, maybe you should make an appointment at the local Genius bar so the tech can diagnose your USB subsystem.  If that checks out, maybe it's something funky with the HM-602 afterall.  This should "just work."

Oct 15, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #485 of 1,195
Ok I don't think there is anything wrong with the HM-602 but something has gone wrong somewhere.

I noticed that I am getting a error -36 when the problem occurs, and it seems to be a problem associated with the Finder of Mac.
Whilst people obviously don't experience the problem, I for one am.

I've found a solution. Copy the music using Terminal. This is hardly fun, but a good work around nonetheless. 
I'll keep playing, but at least I now have a solution to easily sync music without having to turn to a PC.

Thanks so much for all your help warp08.

Bloody hell, nope it still ejects randomly. So sometimes I get an error 36, other times it just ejects.
So it doesn't look like my Mac is at fault...?

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #486 of 1,195
I am grateful to all you pioneers. I do believe that these audiophile DAPs will be the way of the future. I have to say though that dragging and dropping files onto my Rockboxed iMod is looking somewhat easier at this point.

Fight on for the common good. Duty now for the future.

Oct 16, 2010 at 8:22 AM Post #487 of 1,195

Quote:
Ok I don't think there is anything wrong with the HM-602 but something has gone wrong somewhere.

I noticed that I am getting a error -36 when the problem occurs, and it seems to be a problem associated with the Finder of Mac.
Whilst people obviously don't experience the problem, I for one am.

I've found a solution. Copy the music using Terminal. This is hardly fun, but a good work around nonetheless. 
I'll keep playing, but at least I now have a solution to easily sync music without having to turn to a PC.

Thanks so much for all your help warp08.

Bloody hell, nope it still ejects randomly. So sometimes I get an error 36, other times it just ejects.
So it doesn't look like my Mac is at fault...?

To eliminate that possibility, I would make an appointment at the Genius Bar and have them check it out just to be sure.  I'm assuming you already tried copying the same files to USB drives, sticks, etc.?  If the Mac checks out OK then follow up with Fang.

One more suggestion:  reset the HM-602 using the recessed button on its bottom with a pin and see if that resets the flash controller chip and the main controller in the player.

Oct 18, 2010 at 4:42 AM Post #488 of 1,195
Ok this is as far as I have got. I've emailed Ms. T and she said she has forwarded my email onto management and said she will let me know what they say.
I think it might be something to do with the 2010 MacBook Pro as I've tested it now on two other 2010 MBPs and had the exact same problem.

I'll try and get a hold of another MBP which I know is a 09 model and see if that makes any difference. I'll also try and get one of those 2x USB plugs to 1x USB cables.

It's currently syncing on my girlfriends iMac with no problems... and it works fine for you on your MBP (and other users) which I can only assume isn't a 2010 model. Hence my belief that it is related to the 2010 model MBP. Also the fact that it seems to sync fine on my windows PC.

I've paid more attention to the anomalies of it ejecting and can now comment on everything that happens.
  • Sometimes I get the error 36, but rarely. I think that's just OS Xs way of saying the disc ejected after encountering a problem.
  • Other times I get a pop up box saying the disc disconnected after encountering a problem and warns that I should eject the disc before removing it (or something to that effect). The strange thing is most of the time when this happens the HM-602 is still saying it's in USB transfer mode.
  • Then other times the "USB transfer" screen on the HM-602 itself just slides away back to the menu screen - causing any transfers to freeze and eventually come up with the above generic warning.

PS: Yes I have tried resetting it. I've also tried formatting in nearly every format available on both PC and Mac, honestly everything I could possibly think of I've tried.

Oct 18, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #489 of 1,195

Quote:
Ok this is as far as I have got. I've emailed Ms. T and she said she has forwarded my email onto management and said she will let me know what they say.
I think it might be something to do with the 2010 MacBook Pro as I've tested it now on two other 2010 MBPs and had the exact same problem.

I'll try and get a hold of another MBP which I know is a 09 model and see if that makes any difference. I'll also try and get one of those 2x USB plugs to 1x USB cables.

It's currently syncing on my girlfriends iMac with no problems... and it works fine for you on your MBP (and other users) which I can only assume isn't a 2010 model. Hence my belief that it is related to the 2010 model MBP. Also the fact that it seems to sync fine on my windows PC.

I've paid more attention to the anomalies of it ejecting and can now comment on everything that happens.
  • Sometimes I get the error 36, but rarely. I think that's just OS Xs way of saying the disc ejected after encountering a problem.
  • Other times I get a pop up box saying the disc disconnected after encountering a problem and warns that I should eject the disc before removing it (or something to that effect). The strange thing is most of the time when this happens the HM-602 is still saying it's in USB transfer mode.
  • Then other times the "USB transfer" screen on the HM-602 itself just slides away back to the menu screen - causing any transfers to freeze and eventually come up with the above generic warning.

PS: Yes I have tried resetting it. I've also tried formatting in nearly every format available on both PC and Mac, honestly everything I could possibly think of I've tried.

Mine is also a 2010 MBP CTO.  Did you know that the two USB ports actually pull different voltages?  Did you try it using a powered USB hub, out of curiosity?

Anyway, try it on another Mac and if it works there, take yours to the Genius bar to have them run a diagnostic on the machine.  It's really puzzling.  Sorry that I couldn't be of more help.

Oct 19, 2010 at 12:14 AM Post #493 of 1,195
That depends on when you placed your order. You may want to checkout the pre-order thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504567/hm-602-portable-music-preorder/450#post_6996540

This is Fang most recent post of the status of the August 24th orders.
Quote:
I called our factory about shipping today. Now I know why you guys did not receive tracking: our shipping dept in China made a stupid mistake: they forgot to submit the shipping order to factory that suppose to be shipping 10 days aga. Another words they did not ship international orders paid in August yet. I apologize to all Auguest customers who paid before Aug 24th. We will ship all August Orders next week via international express mail.

Oct 19, 2010 at 3:13 AM Post #494 of 1,195
Hero Kid, I'm having the same problems with the 602 and my unibody Macbook Pro bought way back in Jan 2009 currently running OSX 10.6.4, so I'll have to try the other Macs in the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back