= Hifiman “Fuzzor” Mod = (Driver backwave felt damping modification)
Jun 24, 2015 at 6:49 PM Post #198 of 321
Im about to attempt the fuzzor mod on my HE500.  However at michaels they had 2 different kinds.  A stiffened version and a regular version.

Does anyone have any input on which one to use?  I purchased them both just in case since they were so cheap.

I know jerg used the stiffened one in his original post but im wondering as this mod has progressed, if anyone has tried the non-stiffened version?

I circled in red the differences.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:10 PM Post #199 of 321
  Im about to attempt the fuzzor mod on my HE500.  However at michaels they had 2 different kinds.  A stiffened version and a regular version.

Does anyone have any input on which one to use?  I purchased them both just in case since they were so cheap.

I know jerg used the stiffened one in his original post but im wondering as this mod has progressed, if anyone has tried the non-stiffened version?

I circled in red the differences.

I'd recommend the stiffened felt.  It was what I used and had good results.  I asked jerg about that previously and he said the stiffened because you need to be able to roll off the edges.  If it wasn't stiffened, it would likely return back to its natural state.

This is what I used - same thing as yours on the left.

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #200 of 321

I'd recommend the stiffened felt.  It was what I used and had good results.  I asked jerg about that previously and he said the stiffened because you need to be able to roll off the edges.  If it wasn't stiffened, it would likely return back to its natural state.

This is what I used - same thing as yours on the left.

thanks for the reply :)

I will use the stiffened one then.  Wish me luck lol!

Jun 24, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #201 of 321
I'm planning on doing this mod with both stiff felt and foam on my HE-400. Some people say the treble in the HE-400 isn't all the driver's fault, but largely that of the baffle. While I don't really buy it (because CSDs show quick treble decay, at least to these untrained eyes) I think the $3 and effort are worth the risk to kill of the only real gripe I have about this headphone.

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:03 PM Post #202 of 321
I'm planning on doing this mod with both stiff felt and foam on my HE-400. Some people say the treble in the HE-400 isn't all the driver's fault, but largely that of the baffle. While I don't really buy it (because CSDs show quick treble decay, at least to these untrained eyes) I think the $3 and effort are worth the risk to kill of the only real gripe I have about this headphone.

I would think the more plastic you can cover, the better. Headphones with a lot of undamped plastic in the cups tend to be pretty peaky in the treble, in my modding experience. Post pics and impressions of what you do!

Jun 24, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #203 of 321
I would think the more plastic you can cover, the better. Headphones with a lot of undamped plastic in the cups tend to be pretty peaky in the treble, in my modding experience. Post pics and impressions of what you do!

Just finished the first side, covered all the plastic except the circle on the outside of the square pattern. Used some vocal sibilance tracks and listened one channel at a time. Seemed better, but I will wait to finish both sides before making judgements

EDIT: forgot to mention that I'm not being very exact/using measurements, since I figure I may end up going for the felt mod if this doesn't work

Jun 24, 2015 at 11:18 PM Post #204 of 321
Guys, I think it worked. I can still detect sibilance, but some of the instances of it where I normally find it very offensive seems only slightly offensive. I can't be certain this isn't just expectation bias, but I made it through "One of Us is the Killer", which is usually a painful experience on these. "Lost In the Echo" normally is very offensive on these. I could hear the sibilance on all the 's' sounds, but it seemed quite tolerable. I just covered all the plastic around the magnets (i.e., the square or rectangle parts) with foam from a brand called Creative Hands, which I got on amazon. All in all, I'd not say its a very big change, but it may help these be a bit less harsh.

Jun 25, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #205 of 321
Guys, I think it worked. I can still detect sibilance, but some of the instances of it where I normally find it very offensive seems only slightly offensive. I can't be certain this isn't just expectation bias, but I made it through "One of Us is the Killer", which is usually a painful experience on these. "Lost In the Echo" normally is very offensive on these. I could hear the sibilance on all the 's' sounds, but it seemed quite tolerable. I just covered all the plastic around the magnets (i.e., the square or rectangle parts) with foam from a brand called Creative Hands, which I got on amazon. All in all, I'd not say its a very big change, but it may help these be a bit less harsh.

Post pics, if possible.

Jul 9, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #206 of 321
What about using sorbothane for the fuzzor mod instead? I've been on the Stax sorbothane thread and people are going mad over the stuff, but claiming that they are not exaggerating the massive improvements it can provide. 

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:44 PM Post #208 of 321
  I got two types of felts from michaels. A soft one and a stiffened one. Which one should I use? Thanks!

Stiff one for the main job.  If you've got the crossbar, like on the HE-500s, you can use the softer one over that.  About 1 cm wide (and whatever length works) should suffice.  Through trial and error I found that it's best to cover the crossbar first, then use the strips of the stiffer felt to sort of push the softer felt back up against the crossbar.  For whatever reason, the softer felt tends to peel up.  The stiffer felt helps with that.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #209 of 321

Stiff one for the main job.  If you've got the crossbar, like on the HE-500s, you can use the softer one over that.  About 1 cm wide (and whatever length works) should suffice.  Through trial and error I found that it's best to cover the crossbar first, then use the strips of the stiffer felt to sort of push the softer felt back up against the crossbar.  For whatever reason, the softer felt tends to peel up.  The stiffer felt helps with that.

Thank you. I am using he6. There is a bar at the middle, no sure if it is what you are referring to. So you mean I need to cover the whole metal bar with the soft felt? Thanks.

Jul 29, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #210 of 321
  Thank you. I am using he6. There is a bar at the middle, no sure if it is what you are referring to. So you mean I need to cover the whole metal bar with the soft felt? Thanks.

Yes, that's what I call the crossbar.  You don't have to, but you can with the soft felt.  I think the stiff felt would prove too stiff for the job.  It's a minor thing, so if it seems like too much trouble, just skip that step.  If you decide to do it, do it first, then use the stiff felt.  You'll see how the stiff felt strips will push against the soft felt, once the soft felt strip is wrapped over the crossbar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back