HIFIMAN’s HE1000 Upgrade Discussion
Nov 16, 2016 at 6:17 AM Post #106 of 154
My second unit RMA is mint condition and working sweet,
and why I hesitant to upgrade,
but upgrading I will because I heard the Version 2 and I prefer it's signature.
Its too bad everyone cannot hear the V2 before upgrading to hear for themselves,
But if you guys having issues I would upgrade to never version regardless..

Nov 16, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #108 of 154
  I purchased a demo pair of HE1000V1 on sale at RazorDog.  The left channel was intermittent.  I returned them to HIFIMAN and received a new pair of HE1000V2.  This whole process took 3 weeks.  The new V2 arrived and the left channel was immediately intermittent!  The new cable is cheaper and the connectivity issue is unresolved.  After fiddling with the can/cable interface I was able to get the left channel working for almost an entire 24 hour period and I thought I was in the clear, but this morning while sitting in my computer chair the left channel gave out entirely and nothing I do will bring it back and this is irrespective of the source I use.  

I don't spend this kind of money very often and I'm probably returning this second pair for a full refund.  I personally preferred the sound of the V1 more, at least when it was working as the v2 seems like a step backwards, but I have limited experience to go on.

The V2 feels cheaper & the new cable is step backwards, but then again I think the entire cable/connectors/female receptacle assembly are of a bad design regardless of the cable employed. 

I will never buy another HIFIMAN product again.

EDIT

Update,

I was able to test that both channels were coming out of the right side using the windows sound test on my PC.  This confirms a quality control issue shorting both channels together.  I was able to get both channels working after hooking my XONER Essence STX soundcard to the front panel 3.5mm input jacks and I now have sound out of both sides again.  UPDATE: The problem came back on the 3.5mm cables! So I used my multimeter and did a continuity test on the cables and it's not the cable and must be further upstream, I'm guessing at the connection jack.

Fang, blamed my equipment for the problem! He claimed my equipment is leaking DC back into the headphones.
This of course was not the case at all.  It was a quality defect and had nothing to do with my equipment.
When a person spends thousands on a set of headphones they don't expect there to be issues, but when there are issues they expect them to be resolved promptly and professionally.  When a customer has a recurring issue the very last thing the frustrated customer wants is to be dismissed as the cause of the problem.
I'm waiting on him to resolve this issue and take some responsibility for the workmanship of his products without blaming the customer or their equipment.

At this point, I still will never buy another HIFIMAN product again.

I think that there is a possibility that you have a cable problem. Could be the jack connector at the plug though. I could send you a loaner cable if you think that it might be the cable. 

Nov 16, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #110 of 154
I did the upgrade and everything went as expected. I sent my V1 to their US address, then I found the V2 two weeks later at my doorstep here in Kuwait.

V2 is really a V1 with more control in low end, a bit a forwarded mid and smoother high;  its much better construction is noted.

Playing V2 out of First Watt J2 chained to ANK Audiokits DAC 4 is a special experience, using norne ZOETIC  cable.

The upgrade process was almost perfect with solid communication from Hifiman. Nice upgrading experience!

Nov 17, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #111 of 154

​I too just upgraded my V1 to a V2 and had a solid experience with Hifiman.  It took about two weeks + to send my unit back and receive the new one.  I would agree with everyone about the sound difference, how ever small it is.  The head band improvement was very good for me.  I don't use the stock cables as I get mine from moon audio (Black Dragon) which was a huge improvement over the stock ones that came with the V1.  Have not compared the new ones that came with the V2 as yet.  Currently breaking the new V2's in.

Nov 18, 2016 at 5:23 PM Post #112 of 154
Those who are thinking about to buy a V2 on Black Friday should read the complete thread first to be prepared what they can expect when the V3 is coming 
wink.gif

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #114 of 154
Customer service = cheap;
Pissed off clients = expensive!

Maintaining current customers loyalty = cheap;
Trying to win over new customers = expensive!

Good reputation travels far by word of mouth;
Bad stigma of sub par service quality lingers long after costly marketing campaigns!

Just saying'...

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #115 of 154
I had two units sent and only once was it defective on socket.

I loved my latest V1, as it was fully moded and I was certain it would hold up to V2,

But V2 was still Better, both technically and musicality.
Only major trade off was some soundstage distance for more depth and focus.

So when I hear opinions I so not agree with I like to give the other side.

Not disagreeing with your preferences, as if you like V1 , ask them for it and also look into my mods wich bring you between stock and V2.

Nov 22, 2016 at 11:55 AM Post #116 of 154
  Those who are thinking about to buy a V2 on Black Friday should read the complete thread first to be prepared what they can expect when the V3 is coming 
wink.gif

Not likely. I met someone works for HFM in another forum and he told me that there will be no more V3 - but who knows. They always eat their words.

It's confirmed by him that they only change the can itself, the driver remains the same. They don't even willing to wrap it with a new box, basically what this "upgrade" is is just swapping the drivers in your old V1 into new cans.

Oh and some new cables - they kind of forces you to buy the new cables, which declared by Fang to be picked among over 10 formulas (but who will use the 3.5mm cable OMG).

I didn't get the upgrade - so for those who already have an aftermarket cable, I would suggest to get a V2 earpad only. The upgrade is not at all worth $650 + shipping.

I haven't been looking for the upgrade news for a long time so I don't know if they are selling the V2 earpads now. If they only offer upgrade without selling the earpads separately, I would recognize this to be kidnapping the customers.

Nov 22, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #117 of 154

@Maxx134 The wood veneer of your V2 seems to be darker that what I've seen...this is much nicer. Did you do further treatment to your can?

Still struggling and trying to resist the upgrade to V2 (mainly due to the cost pushing the total cost of ownership nearer to $4K mark) 
angry_face.gif

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #118 of 154

@Maxx134
 The wood veneer of your V2 seems to be darker that what I've seen...this is much nicer. Did you do further treatment to your can?

Still struggling and trying to resist the upgrade to V2 (mainly due to the cost pushing the total cost of ownership nearer to $4K mark) :angry_face:

Answer is yes but all that was undone for return and upgrade..

If I did not upgrade I would have polyurethane the wood but since I am upgrading the wood stain was removed as well as the mods.

My unit actually visually appeared to have the V2 drivers in them.
Also my unit sounded excellent,
But side by side with the V2,
The V2 was still Superior to me in everything except difference of presentation,
From a bit laid back on V1 to a more neutral presentation on V2 with a greater sense of recognition of low level detailing...

The presentation on the V2 was very natural with excellent tonality..
Not like The Ether Flow which was a somewhat artificially agressive & forward presentation of detailing..

These are only initial impressions on a friend's brand new unit not even out the box a few hours..

Nov 22, 2016 at 4:27 PM Post #119 of 154

@Maxx134 The wood veneer of your V2 seems to be darker that what I've seen...this is much nicer. Did you do further treatment to your can?

Still struggling and trying to resist the upgrade to V2 (mainly due to the cost pushing the total cost of ownership nearer to $4K mark) 
angry_face.gif

"the cost pushing the total cost of ownership nearer to $4K mark" - Value depreciation.

Used V1 was priced around $2,200 before the advent of V2.

You will raise the fair value of your V1 through paying $650, plus enjoying the improvements you get from V2.

The above is kind of an accounting consolation after paying such amount of money for this upgrade.  
wink.gif

Dec 9, 2016 at 3:41 PM Post #120 of 154
I was one of the lucky winners of the HE1000 V2 lottery. Thank you Hifiman! My wife and I finally got around to sit down and do some serious comparisons between the V1 and V2.

TLDR:
We both agree V2 sounds more transparent, captivating, has better separation of sounds, bass is more tight and tactile, and has better rhythm and timing. The V1 sounds more relaxed, emotional, warm, and need more volume to shine. Build quality wise, we thought quality of metal, cable, wood and overall aesthetics was better on V1, but weight, coolness of pads, and headband adjustment fit was better on V2. We both agreed that the V2 was not clearly better than V1 but offered a different flavor.

Build Quality

I'm not sure if there was product variation in build quality of the V1's, but I never had any issues with the V1's other than having to adjust the headband at its lowest rung which didn't allow any range in adjusting the fit. Alternatively I have the V2's on the third rung. Also, the headband adjustment seems to lock in better with a more discernible clicking sound on the V2's. The fit of the V2's is more firmer and secure on my head than the V1's.

Furthermore, my wife says the V2 being lighter makes a positive difference for her, whereas I didn't really mind the weight of the V1.
My wife and I both agree that the overall aesthetics and material quality of the V1's seem better than the V2's. The metal of the V1 looks like stainless steel whereas the V2's metal looks a bit plasticky. Also, the cloth around the cable on the V1's looks more refined, whereas my wife though the V2 cable looked "cheesy." Lastly, the wood is a bit darker in color and wider which makes the V1 look a bit classier in our subjective opinion. 

Regarding the pads, the surface of the V2's appear to have a perforations/pattern of small holes allowing better air flow. Conversely, the surface of the V1 pads seem more woolly and velvety. I didn't have a problem with heat on the V1 pads, but my wife said she was slightly bothered by the heat of the V1's and preferred the coolness of the V2 pads. We live in in a dry, cool climate near beach but I can see how folks living in more hot and humid places would prefer the V2 pads.

Testing Gear

The audio chain for testing was: QLS QA 660 as the transport --> Audio-GD Master 7 (IS2 input, new DSP7) or NFB 7 (AES input) as the DAC --> Audio-GD Master 8 as the Amp. 
First off, we evaluated which DAC we preferred for test. Prior to current testing, I preferred the NFB 7 for the V1's and my wife confirmed this preference. My wife described the Master 7 and HE1000 pairing as "muffled," "too warm," "everyting not distinguished," and "white noise in background." However, she described NFB 7 with the V1 as "cleaner," "soundstage bigger and taller, "blacker background," and "not trying too hard."

I agree with her assessment that the Sabre DAC based NFB7 is better fit for the HE1000's. My interpretation is that there is an inherent euphonic quality to the HE1000s, which is too much of a good thing with the Master 7's which I consider a warmer DAC with a slight euphonic flavor, whereas I consider the NFB 7 to be more neutral. As an aside, I prefer the Master 7 with more neutral cans like the Sennheiser HD800s and Stax 009s, so I think its a matter of synergy. Taken together, we used the NFB 7 as DAC for following testing.

Sound Quality

Both my wife and I don't have golden ears nor have good vocabulary to describe sound quality, so please consider the following "stream of consciousness" impressions as a layman's  take on the sound quality. 

We evaluated the V1 and V2 difference using a ABA approach with Diana Krall's "Case of You" played from start to finish at each step: A1=V1 (to establish V1 as baseline) --> B1=V2 (noting aspects of V2 that standout in comparison to V1) --> A2=V1 (noting aspects of V1 that standout in comparison to V2). 

My wife went first (volume at 25/99 steps):

A1. V1 = "Vocal's stand out, this is so relaxing, I can fall asleep, ohhh nice, beautiful."

B1. V2 = "More integrated, different elements more integrated." I asked her to elaborate. She said the V1 was like she was sitting on front row, so soundstage seemed wider, but sound elements were panned way to left, middle, or right (i.e., 3-blob soundstage) and so soundstage did not sound as integrated. On other hand, my wife said V2 felt like she was sitting in "sweet spot" of concert hall in which all the sound elements surrounded her in a coherent, "rounded way" in front of her and that the sounds seemed "grounded" on the same "horizontal plane." "Vocals has more power, getting my attention, feels like a live concert, she (Diana Krall) is sitting right there and captivating my whole attention." My wife stated that the V1 sounded relaxing but the V2's "demand my attention."

A2. V1 = "More emotional, more warm" in comparison to V2.

Here are my impressions (Volume at 30/99 steps):

A1=V1: Vocals sound a bit narrow, stretched vertically. Smooth. Black background. Beautiful. Background sounds seem more buried and hard to discern. Slight grainy vocals. Slight sibilance. Piano has a resonance that sounds a bit harsh, as if the notes are blending together. Musical.

B1. V2: Sounds are fleshed out more. Clear and transparent. Compared to V1, there seems to be a haze that's lifted. Sounds pop out more, especially vocals. Vocals are more expressive and detailed (e.g., can hear vocal inflections better). Vocals more thinner. Deep bass is more tactile and tight. Highs seem more extended. Sounds are more separated. Piano doesn't have resonance problem as V1, as if the rhythm and timing is better in which notes of piano aren't blending together. Each piano note sounds more distinct. Images are more solid and background sounds more discerible. Sound stage is more 3D with better depth cues. Imaging is more pinpoint. I agree with wife tht vocals more captivaing and sounds more live/real life. 

A2. V1: At same volume level, V1 sounds less loud compared to V2. Background sounds doesn't stand out as well as V2. For example, the rustling and coughing in crowd not as discernible. Piano resonance problem has returned. Vocals thicker. Sound is more relaxed and emotional. Same level of sibilance as V2, but slightly more shouty. Got impression that V1s need a bit more volume to shine. Soundstage doesn't seem as stretched vertically as impression on A1. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back