Hidizs Mermaid MS4 (3BA+1DD) & MS1 (1DD) - new approach to IEMs and compatibility
May 16, 2019 at 11:59 AM Post #61 of 107
Anyone who recently received have impressions to post of the MS4?

I am burning mine in.

Very early impressions... (SE cable, out of my Samsung S8)

Gorgeous and well built IEM. Solid, heavy. Big, but for my ears not too big. Pretty easy for me to get a good seal, and I have a very picky right ear. Not impressed by the physical quality of the included cables. Will be switching over to my 3rd party cables.

First listen left me with an impression that the highs are too emphasized, mids a bit thin. I switched to the bass centric stock tips, and it seemed to help somewhat. Can always try foams to tame more treble.

Letting them burn in for a couple more days (total of 100 or so hours) before trying them again. When I do try them next it will be again SE out of my S8 (as a reference point) then switch to balanced out of my R6 Pro.

Last edited:
May 18, 2019 at 11:07 PM Post #62 of 107
Nozzles a bit large, and took my ears some acclimation time. Trick is not to try to shove in the tips too far.

I found the treble to be solid, with mids sometimes feeling recessed. I removed the tips and reseated them (was checking to see just how large the nozzles were!) and now mids feel better. Bass is good - not as impactful as my iSine 20s, tighter than the FH7 or Sony XBA-N3, and much better than the Kylin Whizzer.

May 29, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #64 of 107
Got both of them today. They both have kind of the same signature, which a few tweaks. They both produce an awesome sound but the MS4, of course, has some extended treble and more bass. The MS1 is more vocal forward but a bit less bass and treble. Overall, Hidizs did a great job here.

Here's my unboxing video covering the MS1, MS4, cables and accessories:

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 3:29 AM Post #65 of 107
Maybe it's due to the cabling and burn in difference but I prefer the XBA-Z5, which is one of the IEMs they used for comparison on the Kickstarter campaign.

XBA-Z5 is bass"ier" but it also extends better than the MS4. The MS4, although clean in the bass, it...kind of also just falls off flat like waterfall.
In regards of vocal execution, MS4 is better but in regards of instrumental, I'm liking the XBA-Z5 in regards of overall. EDM / Dance, XBA-Z5 is better due to it's bass characters.

Again, may not be a fair comparison (XBA-Z5 has 1000's of hours burn-in and is using Kimber versus MS4 less than 100 hours and using stock cable).

All in all, I do think it's a great performer for the price point even at MSRP.

Does anyone have any cable recommendation for these where it doesn't dent the wallet? I'm ok paying for Kimber price but not something like 400 dollars.

Forgot to mention, I am using Sony NW-WM1A and Balanced connection.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #66 of 107
I find the MS4 kind of smooth. Not flat, but smooth. True, treble is not extended, but it's nice. Mids are warm and so is the bass, which is also not exaggerated. It also responds great to a variety of DACs. Used with the Hidizs DH1000/Tempotec Sonata iDSD Plus is great. Also, when paired with the TRN BT20, it sounds great too! And so it sounds great with the Hidizs AP80 and Hiby R3. I'm still getting used to not having that extended treble that the KZ's have but these MS4 beats them with their sweet, smooth sound.

I tried all of the tips and found that the stock balanced medium tip works better to my likes. The bass tip was nice too, but the balanced does its job.

Can't wait to receive the Hiby W5 to test this against it.

Sep 27, 2019 at 7:59 AM Post #69 of 107
I got the IFI IEMatch and in Ultra setting it does miracles with the MS4. First, the bass is controlled a bit better, making the treble sparks a bit more. Mids seems to be cleaner too. I tried the Ear buddy before getting the IEMatch but it seemed to add bass to the frequency response, slightly reducing the treble. The IEMatch also seems to have opened the sound a little bit more.

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:06 AM Post #71 of 107
Hi,
Do you guys use third party tips on the MS4 ?
If yes which one are best ?
Thanks in advance

I recently started using the AZLA SednaEarfitLight. Before that, I was using some generic Spiral tips that can be found on AliExpress.

With the stock tips, I prefer the Bass ones.

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #73 of 107
Received the MS4 yesterday , and actually use with the AZLA SednaEarfit (Regular not Lite) it is in fact pretty good , very good isolation , strong basses , pretty mids , extended highs,
love the combination

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:31 AM Post #75 of 107
Currently using the MS4s with my Hiby R6 Pro.

They sound really good, but they’re a little painful.

Fortunately, after using them for a semi-long session, my ears become at least semi-used to them. For more times than not though, they just sit in the box.

Hindsight being 20/20, I probably would’ve gone for another model. Next time, I’ll do a bit more research And won’t just go for the blind buy.

The Hidizs 4.4 cable I bought them with is really nice tho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back