1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

HiBy W5 --> Now the W3 Bluetooth Receiver is Here with Better Buttons

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by CactusPete23, Jan 16, 2019.
First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
  1. moisespr123
    Hiby doesn't mention whenever the W3 uses the AK4377A or AK4377ECB that is also used on the Tempotec V1. The sound in the V1 is very warm. I'm hoping this is not the case with the W3.

I'm asuming that whenever AK4377 is mentioned, it refers to the AK4377ECB and whenever the AK4377A is mentioned, it refers to the AK4377AECB. At least, that's according to AKM's product page.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
  2. Bold
    I'm not very good at describing sound but the W5 sounds more airy to my ears. The lows seem tighter and the highs cleaner. I only combined the W3 and W5 with the Tin Audio T3's atm.
    But I do not like the fact that the W5 has no physical buttons.

3. moisespr123
    I received the W3 yesterday. I'm using them with the Hidizs MS4. The sound is good. It's not V-shaped as the W5. To my ears, it has a musical presentation. It is not as warm as the Tempotec V1 (which use the same DAC).

UAT at 1.2mbit is still buggy if it is not close to the device. 900kbps is still the best mode. Tested with the Hiby R3 and Hidizs AP80.

aptX HD works fine between my Avantree DG60 and the W3.

USB DAC mode works but is limited to up to 48Khz. This is a Qualcomm limitation. A plus if the W3 is that DAC mode works even when the unit is turned off (via the 1.01 update).

The LED is green if listening to CD quality tracks, or white if listening at 88.2Khz or above.

Unboxing:

Connecting via NFC and updating firmware:

CactusPete23 and Makahl like this.
  4. Makahl
    Thanks! Would you say it's better than TRN BT20 SQ-wise?

5. moisespr123
    The sound of the BT20 is wider and a bit neutral, I would say.

6. Lifted Andreas
    I am looking at the W3 too,

Can you explain why you prefer the W5 audio?? Also if anyone has a comparison between the FiiO BTR3 / W3 that would be great!

I want the Hiby W3 to replace my Creative SXFi Android DAC/AMP because I rarely use the SXFi feature, it really is just a gimmick to me... so I think I could make some money back selling it for the W3. Since they both have the same DAC chip I shouldn't notice any sound quality differences.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  7. bigMoiMoi
    Can the W3 output the signal to USB C when receiving in Bluetooth?

8. moisespr123
    No. It is just an input device (DAC only). If you want to output via the USB-C, consider getting the Hiby R3.

9. tiamor988
    I just grab myself a Hiby W3 since the price is cheaper than Fiio BTR3. Can't wait for it to arrive.

10. bigMoiMoi
    Thanks for the reply.
    The Hiby R3 is to expensive for what I need to do. I have my trusted Fiio E17 that still works and I'd like to give it some LDAC capability. I think I'll go with either the Tempotec variation V1 or the Shangling M0.

11. moisespr123
    The Tempotec V1 is a good choice. It's powered by the same HiBy OS. It still doesn't have support for UAT, but it's a very nice little player. If you plan on using USB-C DACs, you can save about $10 by getting their digital-only version.

First

Back
6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15