HiBy W5 --> Now the W3 Bluetooth Receiver is Here with Better Buttons
Oct 19, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #226 of 267
Hiby doesn't mention whenever the W3 uses the AK4377A or AK4377ECB that is also used on the Tempotec V1. The sound in the V1 is very warm. I'm hoping this is not the case with the W3.

I'm asuming that whenever AK4377 is mentioned, it refers to the AK4377ECB and whenever the AK4377A is mentioned, it refers to the AK4377AECB. At least, that's according to AKM's product page.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 6:13 AM Post #227 of 267
Why do you prefer one over the other. I’m interested for my iPhone X max and Amazon HD music

I'm not very good at describing sound but the W5 sounds more airy to my ears. The lows seem tighter and the highs cleaner. I only combined the W3 and W5 with the Tin Audio T3's atm.
But I do not like the fact that the W5 has no physical buttons.

Oct 23, 2019 at 12:36 PM Post #228 of 267
I received the W3 yesterday. I'm using them with the Hidizs MS4. The sound is good. It's not V-shaped as the W5. To my ears, it has a musical presentation. It is not as warm as the Tempotec V1 (which use the same DAC).

UAT at 1.2mbit is still buggy if it is not close to the device. 900kbps is still the best mode. Tested with the Hiby R3 and Hidizs AP80.

aptX HD works fine between my Avantree DG60 and the W3.

USB DAC mode works but is limited to up to 48Khz. This is a Qualcomm limitation. A plus if the W3 is that DAC mode works even when the unit is turned off (via the 1.01 update).

The LED is green if listening to CD quality tracks, or white if listening at 88.2Khz or above.

Unboxing:

Connecting via NFC and updating firmware:

Oct 23, 2019 at 2:30 PM Post #229 of 267
I received the W3 yesterday. I'm using them with the Hidizs MS4. The sound is good. It's not V-shaped as the W5. To my ears, it has a musical presentation. It is not as warm as the Tempotec V1 (which use the same DAC).

UAT at 1.2mbit is still buggy if it is not close to the device. 900kbps is still the best mode. Tested with the Hiby R3 and Hidizs AP80.

aptX HD works fine between my Avantree DG60 and the W3.

USB DAC mode works but is limited to up to 48Khz. This is a Qualcomm limitation. A plus if the W3 is that DAC mode works even when the unit is turned off (via the 1.01 update).

The LED is green if listening to CD quality tracks, or white if listening at 88.2Khz or above.

Unboxing:

Connecting via NFC and updating firmware:

Thanks! Would you say it's better than TRN BT20 SQ-wise?

Oct 27, 2019 at 6:22 AM Post #231 of 267
Received my W3 two days ago. I do like it but like the audio of the W5 more.
Nice to have real buttons though and to have the ability to use it over USB. The clip is also much better. All in all I am satisfied with it, especially for the discounted price.

I am looking at the W3 too,

Can you explain why you prefer the W5 audio?? Also if anyone has a comparison between the FiiO BTR3 / W3 that would be great!

I want the Hiby W3 to replace my Creative SXFi Android DAC/AMP because I rarely use the SXFi feature, it really is just a gimmick to me... so I think I could make some money back selling it for the W3. Since they both have the same DAC chip I shouldn't notice any sound quality differences.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 11:53 PM Post #234 of 267
I just grab myself a Hiby W3 since the price is cheaper than Fiio BTR3. Can't wait for it to arrive.

Nov 3, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #235 of 267
No. It is just an input device (DAC only). If you want to output via the USB-C, consider getting the Hiby R3.
Thanks for the reply.
The Hiby R3 is to expensive for what I need to do. I have my trusted Fiio E17 that still works and I'd like to give it some LDAC capability. I think I'll go with either the Tempotec variation V1 or the Shangling M0.

Nov 3, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #236 of 267
Thanks for the reply.
The Hiby R3 is to expensive for what I need to do. I have my trusted Fiio E17 that still works and I'd like to give it some LDAC capability. I think I'll go with either the Tempotec variation V1 or the Shangling M0.

The Tempotec V1 is a good choice. It's powered by the same HiBy OS. It still doesn't have support for UAT, but it's a very nice little player. If you plan on using USB-C DACs, you can save about $10 by getting their digital-only version.

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #237 of 267
I like my Hiby W5 Bluetooth receiver, but in the meantime other manufacturers raised the bar with Fiio BTR5 and Shanling Up4. (dual DACs, jitter reducing technics and added symmetric amplification), but these devices are a little bit too bulky for being ideal for sport activities.
I do hope this year Hiby will release a new model (W6, W7?) with dual DACs and similar technical solutions as Fiio BTR5, ....BUT...my suggestion would be to release a device with symmetrical out only. The name should be like Hiby W6B (B means balanced). This way the size should be kept smaller, the weight should be kept lighter giving an excellent opportunity to use the new device for running, or in the gym.
Another thought: Hiby should make an agreement with Google to add UAT to the latest Android OS, otherwise this new codec cannot be used to listen to music from TIDAL.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2020 at 10:19 PM Post #238 of 267
These little devices are great, but i dream with one that can drive hd6xx easily, probably balanced, with almost cd quality sound, and under 100€. And light enough to clip it ro the headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back