HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Dec 11, 2023 at 2:26 PM Post #3,061 of 3,436
I have zero battery drop day-on-day....turned off.

Dec 11, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #3,062 of 3,436
Hi guys, everyone has the LED pulsar blinking randomly red while charging if you use the DAP at that time (navigate through menus, through apps)?? When the screen is turned off the pulsation rate is steady, but when unlocked and start doing something the LED becomes "color music").

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #3,063 of 3,436
Hi guys, everyone has the LED pulsar blinking randomly red while charging if you use the DAP at that time (navigate through menus, through apps)?? When the screen is turned off the pulsation rate is steady, but when unlocked and start doing something the LED becomes "color music").
No more red pulsing light when fast charging since the last firmware update (pale blue..). Slow red pulsing light when connected to a Laptop for File Transfer... no problem for me because the RS8 sounds sublime.. Every week better! Enjoy!

Dec 21, 2023 at 11:45 PM Post #3,064 of 3,436
Well the fun continues, I'm now getting a popping sound when I change bit rates and when I pause/stop playback. I factory reset today and afterwards this started happening. Is this the recent firmware? Or just a coincidence and I have a unit that is starting to fail? 😕
Since updating to version 1.21, I also have the same issue occurring when stop/play, next/prev, changing bitrate or file type (DSD to flac/flac to DSD).
What I want to know if this is just bug of the new firmware or damaged component?
I always charging the device using below 65A adapter if this mattered.
This problem never occurred since day 1 when I received the unit.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #3,065 of 3,436
Since updating to version 1.21, I also have the same issue occurring when stop/play, next/prev, changing bitrate or file type (DSD to flac/flac to DSD).
What I want to know if this is just bug of the new firmware or damaged component?
I always charging the device using below 65A adapter if this mattered.
This problem never occurred since day 1 when I received the unit.
1. what's your product serial number?
2. what's the max voltage of this 65A adapter?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 25, 2023 at 12:10 AM Post #3,067 of 3,436
Hi, hope everyone is enjoying their holiday. I developed an odd issue where the 4.4mm port of my RS8 all of a sound making a loud warping sound, one that we hears when they have their DAP plugged in while charging, but this one is very loud. So much that when it begun, it got me off guard and now both my ear drum ringing, even though it was only for a few second.

Not an ideal start to my break, specially now that I need to give my ears a break, but I'm more concern with fixing it.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:46 AM Post #3,068 of 3,436
I had a recent issue that was similar. Hiby support was great and they fixed it under warranty, even though I was not the original owner. So full credit to Hiby for doing right by me.

But with so many RS8 owners reporting issues I figure I should include mine. Hopefully it helps someone. Here is what happened:

It started with some light popping sounds on bit rate changes, which then became loud popping, and eventually became a click/pop/whoomph sound on play/pause and bitrate changes. Very loud, to the point where I was concerned it could damage my IEMs. This happened in the 4.4mm connection, it never got very loud on the 3.5mm.

Since the RS8 has screws on the back I decided to open it up:
1000002688.jpg

I noticed on the bottom a few components that looked hand soldered and damaged:

1000002703.jpg

1000002704.jpg

Based on this observation, and working with @Joe Bloggs , I contacted Hiby support. They were good to work with on getting it sent in for repairs. It took a little convincing for them to honor the warranty, but in the end they did.

It took about three weeks to get my DAP repaired and returned, not bad for shipping to China and back. I just had to pay for shipping to them. Hiby took care of the rest.

My RS8 is back to working normal again. Here's what the internals look like now (looks like several caps got swapped out):

PXL_20231220_002203141.MP.jpg

PXL_20231220_002150054.jpg

They did a clean job on the repairs.

In the end I'm back up and running. 🎧🎶😎

But for a DAP that still sells for $3.5k new, this type of component failure is way way below expectations. And for so many owners to be reporting various symptoms of failures on the forum here, it makes me worried about the quality of the design.

Will my DAP die again? Will Hiby honor the warranty a second time? And if it fails again, will it blow up in my ears? I doubt a worst case scenario is coming. But it leaves me wondering. And for a high dollar piece of HiFi gear, this shouldn't be a concern at all.

There's a lot to love about the RS8, but it's certainly got some warts.

Dec 25, 2023 at 12:58 AM Post #3,069 of 3,436
I always wondered how such high heat in such small space does to the PCB component. Contacted Hiby, crossing my fingers all goes well. My issue is exactly as what you have mentioned, albeit mine came out of nowhere.

Mine is out of warranty a few months ago. I made the mistake, same as with my RS6 that I didn't wait until it becomes available locally, and I ordered from China directly.
Lets cross my fingers that all goes well as I personally love the pairing of RS8 with Dita PPT.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:25 AM Post #3,070 of 3,436
I have zero battery drop day-on-day....turned off.
I get <1% drop, many times even the same % or no noticeable loss with my unit left on. This is with wifi off, and all running apps closed.
Unless a great deal of time has passed I would imagine we shouldn't loose anything with the unit turned off.
I really feel for @gryphonos losing 6% with power off, I hope that gets taken care of under warranty asap!

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:45 AM Post #3,071 of 3,436
1. RS812A529EB9
2. Correction, it was anker A2667 with 40W type c (cant find info on voltage), max voltage listed is 9V with 2A 18W (type A port)
Recommend you contact service@hiby.com with a copy of your messages here, including the serial number shown here.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:53 AM Post #3,072 of 3,436
Guys, heads-up just in case this applies to you: if you charge your player during playback - DON'T. It will increase heat and potentially damage sensitive components. Android 12 has a battery charge limiter if it detects excessive heat, though I'm not sure if RS8 implements this (I can confirm R8 II does). Doesn't matter which charger you use, if you charge during playback, you'll run into issues**.

**I'm not implying the component failure issues are the result of charging during playback. Just noting it here as something to keep in mind.

Dec 25, 2023 at 4:28 AM Post #3,073 of 3,436
Guys, heads-up just in case this applies to you: if you charge your player during playback - DON'T. It will increase heat and potentially damage sensitive components. Android 12 has a battery charge limiter if it detects excessive heat, though I'm not sure if RS8 implements this (I can confirm R8 II does). Doesn't matter which charger you use, if you charge during playback, you'll run into issues**.

**I'm not implying the component failure issues are the result of charging during playback. Just noting it here as something to keep in mind.
Yeah charging while using a high power component increase heat generated and stresses the battery way more, and as people who had a M15/M17 know, that is NOT GOOD.

Dec 25, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #3,074 of 3,436
I had a recent issue that was similar. Hiby support was great and they fixed it under warranty, even though I was not the original owner. So full credit to Hiby for doing right by me.

But with so many RS8 owners reporting issues I figure I should include mine. Hopefully it helps someone. Here is what happened:

It started with some light popping sounds on bit rate changes, which then became loud popping, and eventually became a click/pop/whoomph sound on play/pause and bitrate changes. Very loud, to the point where I was concerned it could damage my IEMs. This happened in the 4.4mm connection, it never got very loud on the 3.5mm.

Since the RS8 has screws on the back I decided to open it up:
1000002688.jpg

I noticed on the bottom a few components that looked hand soldered and damaged:

1000002703.jpg

1000002704.jpg

Based on this observation, and working with @Joe Bloggs , I contacted Hiby support. They were good to work with on getting it sent in for repairs. It took a little convincing for them to honor the warranty, but in the end they did.

It took about three weeks to get my DAP repaired and returned, not bad for shipping to China and back. I just had to pay for shipping to them. Hiby took care of the rest.

My RS8 is back to working normal again. Here's what the internals look like now (looks like several caps got swapped out):

PXL_20231220_002203141.MP.jpg

PXL_20231220_002150054.jpg

They did a clean job on the repairs.

In the end I'm back up and running. 🎧🎶😎

But for a DAP that still sells for $3.5k new, this type of component failure is way way below expectations. And for so many owners to be reporting various symptoms of failures on the forum here, it makes me worried about the quality of the design.

Will my DAP die again? Will Hiby honor the warranty a second time? And if it fails again, will it blow up in my ears? I doubt a worst case scenario is coming. But it leaves me wondering. And for a high dollar piece of HiFi gear, this shouldn't be a concern at all.

There's a lot to love about the RS8, but it's certainly got some warts.
Hey, thanks for these pictures. I was wondering one thing for a long time.. Does the battery look user replacable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back