HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Aug 14, 2023 at 9:55 AM Post #2,656 of 3,404
Hello your Excellency,
Can you tell me if the RS8 can be tuned via the Darwin Architecture to be as dark as my Shanling M8? I have the RS6 and it’s not dark enough. I always read your reviews and since you always compare DAPS I was hoping you could compare it to the old Shanling M8 for me. You usually compare vs Newer DAPS like Cayin N8ii and A&K but please help me. I’m all in if it’s dark like the Shanling or the original Cayin N8. Thank you for your time, it’s been a pleasure.

Best Regards,
Enrico
Also maybe you could elaborate a bit on what you mean by "dark." I don't think of the M8 as dark, per se. I think it has a larger mid-bass and lower-mid presence than some DAPs but with great dynamics that bring it to life in a way I would not say is dark. You can make the RS8 sound like this through MSEB settings, for sure, if that's what you want. To my ears, the RS8 is already part way there, anyway, at least compared to other sources.

Aug 14, 2023 at 3:47 PM Post #2,657 of 3,404
Also maybe you could elaborate a bit on what you mean by "dark." I don't think of the M8 as dark, per se. I think it has a larger mid-bass and lower-mid presence than some DAPs but with great dynamics that bring it to life in a way I would not say is dark. You can make the RS8 sound like this through MSEB settings, for sure, if that's what you want. To my ears, the RS8 is already part way there, anyway, at least compared to other sources.
Dark for me is depressed upper mids with some form of rolled off treble.
M8 was sort of like that, I guess, but it's been like 2 years since I owned one.
An emphasis on mid-bass and lower mids would do that too.

fwiw, I remember my M8 not having a thumpy mid-bass and was actually bereft in that area and was over the moon when I bought N6ii Ti, as it did have that in much more quantity. But also had more treble energy so...

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2023 at 6:09 PM Post #2,658 of 3,404
So you say it can be made to sound like the M8. Perfect. I have the RS6 and I am unable to get it to sound like the Shanling. I am in love with my M8 but I’m gonna give this RS8 a go and if it’s not what I want I may have to go with the new Cayin LE. I’m waiting for your review of the Cayin once you can get your hands on it. Thanks for the answer. Much obliged.

Aug 14, 2023 at 6:22 PM Post #2,660 of 3,404
Aug 15, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #2,662 of 3,404
Update regarding system-wide plugins

Awhile ago it was noted that most of the convolution files I shared were stuttering on the RS8. Here I would like to share a shortened file that produces the effect @Vetdoc was after (a 3D out-of-the-head spatiality even for regular stereo recordings on headphones) and a configuration which should be able to work with all sample rate file inputs while yielding the latest and greatest from what's available on our devices today.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5rso...2-bb.wav?rlkey=yuifbssm85ulm5h4lfdm1scy0&dl=0

Configuration:
Screenshot_20230816-074055.png
Insert the Fixed SampleRate plugin as the first plugin, then other plugins in the desired order. (all plugins, including the sample rate plugin, can be toggled after being inserted.)

sample.png
For the purpose of the convolution file posted in this post, set the sample rate to 48000.

convolution.png
Leave the settings as is and simply import the convolution file provided above in the text box / file selection screen.

Both the DRX10K (via the Gain setting) and the Convolution module (via the Level setting) come with their own volume attenuation by default. While volume attenuation is recommended for these plugins to function at their best, there can be too much of a good thing, so if you're going to use the two together, you may reduce the attenuation manually, e.g. to -3 for both.

If you would like to use Convolution with music of all sample rates (not just 48kHz) you would check on both Convolution itself and the Fixed Sample Rate at the top of the chain. Converting the sample rate to 48000 in that module makes life easier for all modules down the chain. Nevertheless, if you do experience any stuttering for high sample rate inputs (despite having converted to 48000) you may need to reduce the number of plugins used. I have tested Fixed Sample Rate and Convolution together (without other plugins) to work well for all sources up to 384kHz, for the convolver file given at the top of this post.

Do give these a try and let me know your thoughts :)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 16, 2023 at 1:57 AM Post #2,663 of 3,404
hello..

has anyone installed any of the streaming apps by DIGITALLY IMPORTED on the RS8?

there are 6 apps, ROCK RADIO, DI RADIO, JAZZ RADIO, CLASSICAL RADIO, ZEN RADIO, and RADIO TUNES. they randomly stream music after you've chosen a genre / sub genre from one of the apps. pretty cool, as it mimics the randomness of FM music, but somehow tailored to your liking/mood at the moment.

all the 6 apps used to work perfectly since ive gotten my RS8 and installed them. until about two weeks ago...

one by one, the 6 apps stopped working, except for DI RADIO which is still working as of the moment. the rest of the apps literally stopped working. no software tweaks have been done to my RS8. just the usual software update which took place months ago. these apps work perfectly on my phone and 3 other DAPs, which is why i am left puzzled.

if anyone has encountered this and found a way to solve it, would gladly love to hear how you did it.

thank you.

Aug 17, 2023 at 9:32 PM Post #2,664 of 3,404
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

Aug 17, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,665 of 3,404
@blotmouse if you're uncertain about moving over the the filterpack v2 entirely I can do a custom pack for you which simply substitutes one filter of your choice for the Darwin Ultra filter. Let me know?
Yes, please. You rule Joe!!
I could lose #7 without impact.

In a perfect set I’d also switch out v1 Default with v2 Default (but if 1’s all you can do, no biggie) I loved both Ultra and the new Default. 😎

Aug 18, 2023 at 11:06 AM Post #2,666 of 3,404
Update regarding system-wide plugins

Awhile ago it was noted that most of the convolution files I shared were stuttering on the RS8. Here I would like to share a shortened file that produces the effect @Vetdoc was after (a 3D out-of-the-head spatiality even for regular stereo recordings on headphones) and a configuration which should be able to work with all sample rate file inputs while yielding the latest and greatest from what's available on our devices today.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/5rso...2-bb.wav?rlkey=yuifbssm85ulm5h4lfdm1scy0&dl=0

Configuration:
Screenshot_20230816-074055.png
Insert the Fixed SampleRate plugin as the first plugin, then other plugins in the desired order. (all plugins, including the sample rate plugin, can be toggled after being inserted.)

sample.png
For the purpose of the convolution file posted in this post, set the sample rate to 48000.

convolution.png
Leave the settings as is and simply import the convolution file provided above in the text box / file selection screen.

Both the DRX10K (via the Gain setting) and the Convolution module (via the Level setting) come with their own volume attenuation by default. While volume attenuation is recommended for these plugins to function at their best, there can be too much of a good thing, so if you're going to use the two together, you may reduce the attenuation manually, e.g. to -3 for both.

If you would like to use Convolution with music of all sample rates (not just 48kHz) you would check on both Convolution itself and the Fixed Sample Rate at the top of the chain. Converting the sample rate to 48000 in that module makes life easier for all modules down the chain. Nevertheless, if you do experience any stuttering for high sample rate inputs (despite having converted to 48000) you may need to reduce the number of plugins used. I have tested Fixed Sample Rate and Convolution together (without other plugins) to work well for all sources up to 384kHz, for the convolver file given at the top of this post.

Do give these a try and let me know your thoughts :)
My RS6 won’t work. I’m in the process of getting the RS8 but I would love some tech help with my RS6. Can somebody help me like with a TeamViewer on the DAP (I don’t know if that’s possible or not) but it sure would be helpful if maybe it can be fixed or reset somehow without having to ship it around the world. Any help would be greatly appreciated 😎

Aug 18, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #2,667 of 3,404
My RS6 won’t work. I’m in the process of getting the RS8 but I would love some tech help with my RS6. Can somebody help me like with a TeamViewer on the DAP (I don’t know if that’s possible or not) but it sure would be helpful if maybe it can be fixed or reset somehow without having to ship it around the world. Any help would be greatly appreciated 😎
I am getting the impression that you should get something else if you are trying to make an RS6/8 sound like a completely different manufacturer's sound signature.

Aug 18, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #2,668 of 3,404
How is it not working?

Aug 19, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #2,670 of 3,404
I am getting the impression that you should get something else if you are trying to make an RS6/8 sound like a completely different manufacturer's sound signature.
You’re not wrong. The problem is nobody makes the analog sound signature anymore. Manufacturers are moving to a more modern sound profile so I try and find things that I can play with to get them close. The Shanling M9 was way to bright and I haven’t tried the new M9+ but the RS8 M9+ and the new Cayin are on my short list.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back