HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Feb 12, 2023 at 3:24 PM Post #1,801 of 3,407
They look beautiful! I need something for the bus. Do they isolate outside noise pretty well? Is the one with the additions available for sale? I’ll check the thread. Thanks
Nope! Not much isolation in them wood headphones, and only "just above" mid-tier headphone performance. It's just a nice convenience set.
For maximum musical enjoyment I use my IEMs or my version HD800.

Of the three I liked RS8 the best. It has more body to the sound I think and very natural...
I have to agree. I been bouncing around ALOT in the past with other Daps and Amp modules, and even listening to others like N8ii (which would have been my choice above all, before the RS8), and only until now that I feel TOTALLY satisfied, enamored and that feeling of reaching "end-game".

Every day it keeps reeling me in (as I am still burning it in), sounding better and better. A perpetual "honeymoon period". Tracks that I don't even like sound astoundingly immersive with a realistic quality, reminding me of the days when I first had experienced "R2R desktop DACs, my yggy and then Holo Spring. It sounds somewhat like a cross of both. Just amazing, and I'm not even halfway burned in yet. Everything sound new and interesting, every day, even same tracks.

Also,
Has anyone noticed that the e hibby player has doesn't have "native DSD" enabled in settings? I haven't noticed a difference yet.

Feb 12, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #1,802 of 3,407
It’s a bug on the firmware - it would say you have no internet while you have it
It could possibly also be compatability with that app, because I flip in and out of airplane mode every day and have not had a Wi-Fi icon issue yet. I don't use that app so can't say for sure.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2023 at 6:55 PM Post #1,803 of 3,407
Today I continued to listen to My Weekly Q on Qobuz, which turned out to be a 'Liric on RS8' admiring session.
What was remarkable that the bass part was coming out so immensely, on all the numbers, one after the other...
I've created a playlist,

https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/13440030

Sorry for the ones not having Qobuz, I will try to list the content later.

Feb 13, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #1,804 of 3,407
Is anyone else’s volume direction reset to clockwise whenever you turn your unit back on? Like it’ll still say “anticlockwise” when I click on the menu, but I have to change it to clockwise and back in order for it to actually be “anticlockwise” 🙃

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:10 PM Post #1,806 of 3,407
Is anyone else’s volume direction reset to clockwise whenever you turn your unit back on? Like it’ll still say “anticlockwise” when I click on the menu, but I have to change it to clockwise and back in order for it to actually be “anticlockwise” 🙃
Yes, sometimes, at least.

Feb 14, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #1,807 of 3,407
Hey just to know, anyone knows if the battery can be changed without soldering or if the battery has cables soldered to the mainboard? Kind of a big deal.

Feb 15, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #1,808 of 3,407
I think I have a problem with my RS8. A pock appeared in my earphones when I change track with a different frequency or when I go from class A to AB. And when I remove the jack a spit is heard in my headphones. Have you heard this problem after 200 hours of burns. Thank you.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2023 at 3:05 AM Post #1,809 of 3,407
I think I have a problem with my RS8. A pock appeared in my earphones when I change track with a different frequency or when I go from class A to AB. And when I remove the jack a spit is heard in my headphones. Have you heard this problem after 200 hours of burns. Thank you.
Did you try force stopping the music player app, clean cache, get it out of background apps and restart the app? Know it sounds basic but it can be just that (hopefully)

Feb 16, 2023 at 5:21 AM Post #1,810 of 3,407
Thank you for your anser. I did a factory reset but nothing change. The sound is great it’s a fabulous DAP.

Feb 16, 2023 at 7:24 AM Post #1,811 of 3,407
The problem is only with the 4.4, the 3.5 is ok.

Feb 16, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #1,812 of 3,407
Feb 16, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #1,813 of 3,407
I use Hiby Player and Neutron

Feb 16, 2023 at 9:43 AM Post #1,814 of 3,407
I use Hiby Player and Neutron
see in neutron the ''software latency'' and ''hardware latency'' and bring them way down. Also, any filters/settings?

Feb 16, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,815 of 3,407
Hello lucky owners of the RS8. I've read a few reviews but unfortunately none that focused on the DAC itself using the LO. I'm curious to know how this R2R DAC compares to other DACs, either desktop, mobile or from other DAPs. When we read comments using the PO we can't really know what is the specific performance of the DAC itself versus competing devices using AKM, ESS, ROHM chipsets...

Anyone has done an A/B comparison using only the RS8 LO to an external amp? If so which "DAC" did you compare it to?

Thanks a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back