HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Jan 24, 2023 at 10:32 AM Post #1,743 of 3,415
Dear @Zeppo19
Although maybe you have been asked before, would you be so kind to tell me which is the RCA cable connected from RS8 to C9?
Here it is a balanced 4.4 cable, no RCA. In the box with the C9 comes a 4.4 and a 3.5 interconnect cable, which both do the job. Very short though so i just got me an iFi 4.4 interconnect.

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:31 AM Post #1,744 of 3,415
Unfortunately I don't. My guess is it might have something to do with the Android version and something that broke while adapting a new version to this hardware.
Thanks. Maybe you could report this to Hiby because this might important for many users that don't use wifi. Seriously, I know people who prefer Ethernet... I think it's a bug.

Jan 24, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #1,745 of 3,415
1- It doesn't have narrower soundstage. That is a misconception of either settings or tonality. Soundstage just as wide as n8ii, just different at upper range elevation. I did confirm this:
Screenshot_20230112_032331_Gallery.jpg

2- It does very easily have the superior imaging and technicalities as any other. The difference here was that the RS8 was not as illuminated at upper spectrum as the N8ii.

The "natural sounding" beauty of the RS8, had the ability to convince me, "how" other DAPs (like n8ii) swayed from neutrality... No matter how refined and reference I do hear them to be.

To my ears, the RS8 just sounded more natural. Although I feel the other DAP (n8ii) was very impressive, sounding beautiful, reference, and at a top level, I was just not able to get away from the RS8 sound. It simply portrayed the same level of images, detail, and space, but more natural. It also had a superiority of R2R sound, that I didn't remember as captivating, when I tried the P6 in past.

3- Any and all companies will have a certain small percentage of sporadic defects, to which would be covered under warranty, so it shouldn't be a "fear factor" issue. Same type of early fears happened in n8ii thread. I haven't read up the whole thread here yet, to see anything.

Personally I still like the N8ii and am torn but cant have them both. I prefer them easily over all past daps I tried.

Also, after listening for myself, I cannot agree with any reviews that wouldn't place this unit at the top. To me, it IS at the very top. I do not hear anything in deficiencies. In fact, it has the most convincing sound to me...

So the worst issue with this DAP, is that once you hear it, you will need to have it.
Like a junkie, you will sell off, and do whatever you have to do, to own this thing.

How lucky are you to have space for that at your job!
I believe the RS8 can handle that closed headphone without the nice tube amp!
Can you report how your closed backs are sounding on the RS8?
E.g Eikon, Denon etc?
Is it a recommended setup for lower Ohm closed backs compared to desktop rig?
Thx!

Jan 24, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #1,746 of 3,415
Any impressions about VE EXT and/or A&K Pathfinder pairing?
Roon Endpoint still not working?
As I am a Roon user I d be interested if the MQA cracking issue is also appearing through Roon

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #1,747 of 3,415
Any impressions about VE EXT and/or A&K Pathfinder pairing?
Roon Endpoint still not working?
As I am a Roon user I d be interested if the MQA cracking issue is also appearing through Roon
No Roon User here?
@HiFiHawaii808 Jim, do you mind checking if Roon is working with RS8 at least in DAC mode (just plug an IPhone/IPad as an endpoint to it) if not yet natively supported and report if no MQA distortion noise is happening for the final unfold?
How do you like the VE EXT pairing?
Thx!

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,748 of 3,415
No Roon User here?
@HiFiHawaii808 Jim, do you mind checking if Roon is working with RS8 at least in DAC mode (just plug an IPhone/IPad as an endpoint to it) if not yet natively supported and report if no MQA distortion noise is happening for the final unfold?
How do you like the VE EXT pairing?
Thx!
It works fine with Roon Remote and Roon ARC apps (like an iPhone/iPad). But it is not a Roon Ready endpoint. I used it with both Roon Remote and ARC and it worked fone. I’m not a MQA user so don’t know about that.

Sadly, the RS8 was simply too big and heavy for my use case and I have just listed it (and matching dock) for sale in the classifieds.

Jan 25, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #1,749 of 3,415
It works fine with Roon Remote and Roon ARC apps (like an iPhone/iPad). But it is not a Roon Ready endpoint. I used it with both Roon Remote and ARC and it worked fone. I’m not a MQA user so don’t know about that.

Sadly, the RS8 was simply too big and heavy for my use case and I have just listed it (and matching dock) for sale in the classifieds.
Thx, have just PMed you 😉
Regarding Roon compatibility maybe that's something that Hiby is going to invest in as other manufacturers like Fiio are making their devices Roon compatible now too through firmware updates

Jan 28, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #1,751 of 3,415
J'essaie de faire en sorte que Roon Arc ne sous-échantillonne pas sur le RS8 (et d'autres DAP) mais pas de chance, toute la musique est en 44.1 ...:froncer les sourcils2:

Et oui, mon M17 est un point final Roon merveilleux, meilleur que Arc (voir ci-dessus)
j'ai le même problème avec mon ibasso dx320, je pense avoir compris qu'il n'y a pas de solution à cela et que cela vient d'android

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #1,752 of 3,415
j'ai le même problème avec mon ibasso dx320, je pense avoir compris qu'il n'y a pas de solution à cela et que cela vient d'android
Just use an IPhone as endpoint connected to the DAP and voila?

Jan 28, 2023 at 10:17 AM Post #1,754 of 3,415
Yeah, or i could just use an M17 or a Hifi Rose or a Chord Poly, but that is really not the point :)
I know 😉just wanted to point out that it's a missing feature but can be easily worked around using another tiny Roon bridge and still keeping the superior device itself for listening

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back