HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Nov 28, 2022 at 3:13 AM Post #1,052 of 3,436
Yes, I would be interested! I use JRiver for this purpose. With Audeze headphones, some mild Reveal+ profiles are used for correcting some of the house sound to compensate. I have to apply this for my LCD-i4 and iSine10 or they sound really strange. I have other plug-ins that I use for convolution or other DSP to change reverberations and delays to customize or create "venues".

I'll look up what the industry standard for the plug-in interface is called. I am sure you must know it. Same standard used by professional mixing applications for editing and merging music tracks to add additional dsp components. Update: It is VST plug-ins.

Stand alone app also would be welcome too. I find headphone eq profiles easier to manage on a computer than on a dap. With the CR08 and RS8, this opens up a variety of different ways to create a chain for the music and new use cases 😊

I am waiting desperately for Hiby to send me my CR08 :) Musicteck Andrew knows who I am. Seiji K.
well for a start, have you been able to use those Reveal+ profiles and those "venue" impulses on your RS8?

Do you know how to combine impulses together to combine e.g. the effect of an earphone impulse and a venue impulse for use in a single file on the RS8?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 28, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #1,053 of 3,436
In OS Mode (NOS Switch is off) LED is always orange. Sample Rate in Status bar 16/44.1 or 24/44.1 or 24/96, always orange LED. With NOS activated 16/44. 1 and 24/44.1 orange LED, 24/96 cyan LED. Music app doesn't matter (Hiby Music, USB Audio Player Pro). Latest firmware installed. I also get the orange LED with local playback MQA-Files through Hiby Music. It should be Green/Blue or Magenta:

1669623825414.png

This should be corrected in the next firmware update..I hope :stuck_out_tongue:
Can I get you to record a video of this and share with service@hiby.com? HiBy HQ is interested 😅 they cannot replicate...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 28, 2022 at 4:32 AM Post #1,054 of 3,436
well for a start, have you been able to use those Reveal+ profiles and those "venue" impulses on your RS8?

Do you know how to combine impulses together to combine e.g. the effect of an earphone impulse and a venue impulse for use in a single file on the RS8?
@Joe Bloggs
Hi Joe, I think I might be misunderstanding you. I was picturing using a Windows 11 application like JRiver Media Center 30. I use the Reveal+ plug in that is a VST .dll file. Once the VST has been installed in JRiver, I can access various headphone profiles ( Audeze factory eq settings) through a UI and change parameters like the placement of speakers from 45 degrees to 120 degrees as an example with phase changes if desired and head and ear profiles. These are all basically accessible through dsp settings menus. Other dsp examples are settings for effects like hall reverberations (concert arena, cathedral, club, etc). Of course some of the main dsp are Parametric EQ or 20 band EQ and a convolution engine. All the dsp processing happens to the audio data before it is sent to the WASAPI, ASIO, KERNAL interface drivers abd out the BT or USB ports to the DAP. I assume you are familiar with the VST API to some degree. Its a standard interface spec used in the music recording industry for digital mastering software to add third party components/features.

I realize there are many DARWIN components on the HIBY OS, I was thinking additional components would be great also. It might be more universal on board the DARWIN. I have tried some of the MSEB adjustments. The are fun to play with. The adjustments are a little hard to fine turn even with changing the scale from 100 to 20. My fingers are too fat :). Its a good UI. I have no complaints. A stylist and I can do everything I need.

If features you are suggesting is a VST plugin it will appeal to advanced users that want to use it on more powerful Windows computers with keyboard and mouse. The profiles of your app hopefully could be saved as external data files and maybe shareable? When I saw your screen capture I assumed you were considering a Windows application.

Best Regards

Seiji Lépine

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 4:54 AM Post #1,055 of 3,436
Can I get you to record a video of this and share with service@hiby.com? HiBy HQ is interested 😅 they cannot replicate...
Hi Joe...no video needed :) it's really simple. When I choose an album for example 16bit/44.1khz sampling rate (status bar reports 44.1 sampling rate) and play this via Hiby Music or UAAP I get the orange LED (in both Mode NOS and OS), but the LED should be yellow I think (I cant't find the official manual for Hiby RS8). If I play a local MQA-File through HibyMusic I get also the orange LED (Status bar reports 705.8khz sampling rate) but it should be Green/Blue or Magenta. The only correct color I get is with 24bit/96khz in NOS-Mode = Cyan color, but in OS-Mode the color is also orange :). When I got the RS8 I updated the firmware to the latest one and made a factory reset. After restart, the Google Playstore was missing, so I installed it via an APK-File. Maybe the new Firmware was not al full version and the factory reset changed some settings?

Nov 28, 2022 at 9:28 AM Post #1,056 of 3,436
Nice, congrats! Yes I worked with Davy to get UAPP working natively with RS8 from launch. But support is only very basic at this point I believe. I assume you've paid for the MQA add-on for UAPP?

Here's something to try: use Tidal through HiBy Music and see if you still get the popping noise. If so, can raise it with HiBy as a possible bug. The Tidal app supports full hardware decoding btw.

You should always see 705k (or similar) when playing MQA tracks in the status bar up top. If not, it's not hardware decoding.
Thanks gLer. Using Hiby Music app is a good idea, I'll run that test later tonight.

I was under the impression that the MQA purchase in UAPP was for special software handling of MQA and would not apply to HW. I'll look into this also though.

Nov 28, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #1,057 of 3,436
We just published our review of the RS8. An excellent DAP with a lot of innovative tech packed into it. The R-2R tuning is also very much 'on point'.

https://headfonics.com/hiby-rs8-review/

1669545019514.png

Hello

I have a question about your article. You mentioned about a HibyCast mobile app with a red logo instead of a Hiby Yellow logo. I can't seem to find it in Apple's app store. I am accessing the app store from the USA. Do you have any further information about this new app? Or should I look for it in the Google Play Store?

1669651480472.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #1,058 of 3,436
We just published our review of the RS8. An excellent DAP with a lot of innovative tech packed into it. The R-2R tuning is also very much 'on point'.

https://headfonics.com/hiby-rs8-review/

[

how do you get it to play above 768 ?
Is this a question for me?

I haven't been able to get either the RS6 or the RS8 to sync above PCM 768. I haven't figured out yet what is the reason. It could be any number of reasons such as Windows, Hiby ASIO, HQP or the DAPs. To be honest, I haven't tried this with any of my DAPs before so I could have a Windows setting or MSI GeForce setting limiting the data rate. I've always defaulted to DSD and that I can go pretty high to the point of an unstable sync connection rate.

I assume Hiby advertise the data rate speeds using on board memory and was not necessarily supporting USB data transfer and playback at the advertised speeds.

So far the maximum speeds I have achieved for:

• PCM 768 Kbs
  • DSD 22.1 Mbs

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:17 PM Post #1,059 of 3,436
Hello

I have a question about your article. You mentioned about a HibyCast mobile app with a red logo instead of a Hiby Yellow logo. I can't seem to find it in Apple's app store. I am accessing the app store from the USA. Do you have any further information about this new app? Or should I look for it in the Google Play Store?

1669651480472.png
I don't know how to get hibycast to work

Nov 28, 2022 at 12:39 PM Post #1,060 of 3,436
How is anyone able to find HibyCast ?

1669658015069.png

92F624EC-4AD2-4255-94A9-9D063C180FC2.png

I can't seems to find it on the apple store or android app store.
1669657211201.png

I see Marcus has it.....
1669657631240.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2022 at 12:41 PM Post #1,061 of 3,436
I've been using Final D8000proCE and it's superb requires at least 70 volume with high gain and turbo
Does it drive the D8000 almost as good as a desktop?

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:14 PM Post #1,063 of 3,436
It's part of hiby music player if memory serves me right.

Nov 28, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #1,064 of 3,436
It's part of hiby music player if memory serves me right.
If there is no app installable on a tablet or smartphone, there is no point to the HiByCast.

1669659421860.png

1669659497245.png

???? Wonder what happened now ????

Are they fixing the pages for RS8?

1669659520664.png

No RS8 on the player list, they must need to revise something.
1669659936310.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back