HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:17 AM Post #197 of 3,403
No mention of how Turbo Mode can increase the mW.
Interesting if it can pass 1W.

From their FB post.

1664457465574.png

A little weird, as the Chinese images from earlier in this thread show 25%

1664457583934.png

Could be turbo increase differs between AB / A, or perhaps one is an output power increase and the other an output voltage increase.....just assuming here. Will wait for full details to be released on their official spec page.

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #199 of 3,403
RS6 vs RS8 vs R8 vs N8 ii (solid state 4.4mm)
4.4mm @32Ohm: 690 mW vs 780 mW vs 1088 mW vs 750 mW
SNR: 114db vs 115/116db vs 117db vs 125db
DNR: 95db vs 106db vs 115db vs 125db

Besides the mentioned low output power (not mattering much for IEMs but for overear planars) I see improvements over RS6 but still a big gap to TOTL delta sigma DAPs like N8II (power wise RS8 is even topping N8II though but not by much and almost all other TOTL DAPs on the market are stronger here)
Anyone having specs for LP6 to name one of the better R2R competition DAPs?
I know that also in the desktop world manufacturers have been struggling to match delta sigma specs and only few have managed (Holo Audio is one example)
All LP and Lotoo daps have less lower than everything mentioned

Sep 29, 2022 at 12:34 PM Post #200 of 3,403
From their FB post.

1664457465574.png

A little weird, as the Chinese images from earlier in this thread show 25%

1664457583934.png

Could be turbo increase differs between AB / A, or perhaps one is an output power increase and the other an output voltage increase.....just assuming here. Will wait for full details to be released on their official spec page.
If it would be 1.5W than it would be supercool - you can drive even some planars very sufficiently.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:27 PM Post #201 of 3,403
As far as I'm aware, it's only Titanium. No mention of a special edition like R8.

Also, it's features Darwin II, which from what I deciphered from the screens, is far more advanced than what we've seen in the RS6.

I hope to have English screens to share with you by tomorrow.
I am a happy RS6 owner but not wowed by frequency or functionality enhancements of Darwin-based updates. What is different w/Darwin II, and will it be backwards compatible so that updates pushed out for it can still benefit Darwin I users?

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:31 PM Post #202 of 3,403
I will be really interested to see them go head to head (N8ii vs RS8). To me they represent two fundamentally differing technical approaches that in the end strive to excel in more or less the same sonic character area... The outcome of that outcome will be interesting indeed...

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:43 PM Post #203 of 3,403
I have the RS8 pre production unit on hand at the moment, after I saw impressions from CanJam were very positive I wanted to try it myself as I haven’t really rated any HiBy DAPs too highly. Glad to say they have a winner on their hands with this one. Given it’s a pre production unit I believe the software is still in beta, so there’s some bugs and I wasn’t able to load Spotify on the device. To listen to my tracks I streamed it via Bluetooth so my impressions are mostly quite generic.

This is definitely a TOTL R2R android offering, much more impressive to me than the RS6 ever was. If you have heard the LP P6 Pro (non obsidian version), then I feel the RS8 most represents that sound but without smoothening the treble as much as the P6 Pro. The tonality is fantastic, organic, and with natural body and a high level of detail/technicals.

I’ll more than likely be buying one when I have the funds for it. It’s a good complementary sound to the N8ii which leans more revealing and slightly brighter.

39D6D03E-452D-46D1-AB00-80754FCE0A32.jpeg

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #204 of 3,403
I have the RS8 pre production unit on hand at the moment, after I saw impressions from CanJam were very positive I wanted to try it myself as I haven’t really rated any HiBy DAPs too highly. Glad to say they have a winner on their hands with this one. Given it’s a pre production unit I believe the software is still in beta, so there’s some bugs and I wasn’t able to load Spotify on the device. To listen to my tracks I streamed it via Bluetooth so my impressions are mostly quite generic.

This is definitely a TOTL R2R android offering, much more impressive to me than the RS6 ever was. If you have heard the LP P6 Pro (non obsidian version), then I feel the RS8 most represents that sound but without smoothening the treble as much as the P6 Pro. The tonality is fantastic, organic, and with natural body and a high level of detail/technicals.

I’ll more than likely be buying one when I have the funds for it. It’s a good complementary sound to the N8ii which leans more revealing and slightly brighter.

For some one who can audition the “pre-production unit”, could I ask you some more information ? It is obvious that you have some good contacts with HIBY. Now, for the typical US consumers, where and who do they contact when they need services, and or parts, assuming out of warranty products, and dealers do not want to take up the stick. I appreciate

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #205 of 3,403

39D6D03E-452D-46D1-AB00-80754FCE0A32.jpeg
I honestly felt it was overall better than the LP6 at canjam with my Aroma Jewel. I completely agree on the complementary part vs n8ii.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #206 of 3,403

Maybe you've tried but DAC mode is a wonderful way to compare using one fixed source like IPad or whatever Bitperfect Streamer.
Might work even with the buggy firmware?
Certainly better than Bluetooth 😉

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #207 of 3,403
I just talked to Musicteck to confirm the RS8 will be available for purchase in the US at the end of October to early November. Pricing for US market could not be confirmed yet.
HiBy confirmed it will be available from mid to late October.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #208 of 3,403
For some one who can audition the “pre-production unit”, could I ask you some more information ? It is obvious that you have some good contacts with HIBY. Now, for the typical US consumers, where and who do they contact when they need services, and or parts, assuming out of warranty products, and dealers do not want to take up the stick. I appreciate
Sorry, I have no links to HiBy. This is from MusicTeck and is the exact same unit that was present at CanJam. I don’t think HiBy would ever send me a product haha. I thought R8 was garbage and RS6 wasn’t great either. My favorite HiBy DAP has been R6 2020. This RS8 is a totally different class to anything they have offered though.
Maybe you've tried but DAC mode is a wonderful way to compare using one fixed source like IPad or whatever Bitperfect Streamer.
Might work even with the buggy firmware?
Certainly better than Bluetooth 😉
Unfortunately I couldn’t get my computer to recognize the RS8 in USB DAC mode.

Sep 29, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #209 of 3,403
Sorry, I have no links to HiBy. This is from MusicTeck and is the exact same unit that was present at CanJam. I don’t think HiBy would ever send me a product haha. I thought R8 was garbage and RS6 wasn’t great either. My favorite HiBy DAP has been R6 2020. This RS8 is a totally different class to anything they have offered though.

PS hurry up I'm next xD lol jk I'm glad you got to hear it and have similar impressions as most of us at the show.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:02 PM Post #210 of 3,403
Guess you've tried another DAP, mobile phone, tablet as a source too without success?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back