HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Sep 29, 2022 at 5:04 PM Post #211 of 3,403
Guess you've tried another DAP, mobile phone as a source too without success?

Yeah I tried using my N8ii as a USB source and couldn’t get it to work either. There’s definitely some software bugs on this OS as it’s a developers build. It’s okay though, even with streaming Bluetooth I’m able to grasp quite well what this dap offers. I plan to pick one up towards the end of the year.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:12 PM Post #212 of 3,403
Unfortunately I couldn’t get my computer to recognize the RS8 in USB DAC mode.
You might want to force an USB 2.0 connection by using an USB-A OTG adapter in between on the PC side. That will probably solve the issue.

Sep 29, 2022 at 5:24 PM Post #213 of 3,403
Looking at the data path schematic diagram and LO performance of RS8, it appears to me, at least on paper that bypassing RS8, Darwin II isn't that different to Darwin.

Have Hiby talked about the difference between the two?

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:01 PM Post #214 of 3,403
For some one who can audition the “pre-production unit”, could I ask you some more information ? It is obvious that you have some good contacts with HIBY. Now, for the typical US consumers, where and who do they contact when they need services, and or parts, assuming out of warranty products, and dealers do not want to take up the stick. I appreciate

Vince, I love you man, but you already know the answer to this one :D No retailer in US who sells DAPs from China going to do their own local repair.

The real question is which of the manufacturers from China can send you spare parts for DIY repairs, and you know there is only one manufacturer (iBasso) who will sell you spare parts directly, and you can't even get it through their distributor in US. It is what it is :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:02 PM Post #215 of 3,403
From their FB post.

1664457465574.png

A little weird, as the Chinese images from earlier in this thread show 25%

1664457583934.png

Could be turbo increase differs between AB / A, or perhaps one is an output power increase and the other an output voltage increase.....just assuming here. Will wait for full details to be released on their official spec page.

Curious if this is similar to P+ mode in N8ii with a voltage boost. Things could get lost in translation, extra power supply vs voltage boost. I guess will find out soon.

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #216 of 3,403
Vince, I love you man, but you already know the answer to this one :D No retailer in US who sells DAPs from China going to do their own local repair.

The real question is which of the manufacturers from China can send you spare parts for DIY repairs, and you know there is only one manufacturer (iBasso) who will sell you spare parts directly, and you can't even get it through their distributor in US. It is what it is :)
I can buy FiiO and shanling as well :)

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:11 PM Post #217 of 3,403
I can buy FiiO and shanling as well :)

But neither FiiO nor Shanling retailers in US will do local repairs, right? So, yeah, I guess if you are DIYer and want to repair your own DAP, you can buy these parts from these manufacturers directly (iBasso, FiiO, Shanling) and do your own repairs at home :D

I know that you know what I mean, but I'm speaking from my personal experience of talking to a lot of my readers after the reviews who are going to read our exchange, completely misunderstand it, and then demand from Musicteck to fix their M8 in two days or ask B&H Photo to repair their M17 over the weekend :p

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:13 PM Post #218 of 3,403
But neither FiiO nor Shanling retailers in US will do local repairs, right? So, yeah, I guess if you are DIYer and want to repair your own DAP, you can buy these parts from these manufacturers directly (iBasso, FiiO, Shanling) and do your own repairs at home :D

I know that you know what I mean, but I'm speaking from my personal experience of talking to a lot of my readers after the reviews who are going to read our exchange, completely misunderstand it, and then demand from Musicteck to fix their M8 in two days or ask B&H Photo to repair their M17 over the weekend :p
You can bring them parts to a local smartphone techies :wink:, cheaper than shipping back and forth to China, or worry about no dealer is going to pick up the stick for out of warranty products.

Honestly, what is the process of services on Hiby products that has no more warranty ? Contacting local dealer who sold it to you ?

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:23 PM Post #219 of 3,403
You can bring them parts to a local smartphone techies :wink:, cheaper than shipping back and forth to China, or worry about no dealer is going to pick up the stick for out of warranty products.

Honestly, what is the process of services on Hiby products that has no more warranty ? Contacting local dealer who sold it to you ?

Have no idea, man. I guess for most of the people the only thing they would be interested in is battery replacement after the warranty expires. After warranty, maybe talk to the retailer if they can sell it to a user with no strings attached if you open and break it? I see JamesFiiO is browsing this thread, maybe he can chime in how this is handled by other manufacturers :) I have no idea.

1664489915699.png

But, we are getting off topic :) and to bring it back, the same unit Bobby just received, I had for a few days before him as well, right after the CanJam SoCal, and for those who are interested in pictures and how it compares to R8, here it is:

hiby-rs8-01.jpghiby-rs8-02.jpghiby-rs8-03.jpghiby-rs8-04.jpghiby-rs8-05.jpghiby-rs8-06.jpghiby-rs8-07.jpg

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #220 of 3,403
I honestly don’t think that I am off topic here, for all of my honesty, one reason I will not be getting an RS8 is because I wouldn’t know where and what to do if after purchasing for 3 months and the player WiFi stopped functioning ? I definitely wouldn’t want to ship back and forth to the dealer and then to China and waiting for a couple months LOL! I know Ibasso is pretty effective in a sense that I don’t need to ship back to the dealer, but I can ship directly and get reinforced the shipping fees directly (which doesn’t happen with other brands). One main reason why I am still sticking with Ibasso On top of that I can buy spare parts that I want, and even a screen replacement can be done by a local smartphone guy. While there is a representative for Ibasso and Fiio, do we have HIBY representative here ?

Last edited:
Sep 29, 2022 at 6:41 PM Post #221 of 3,403
Have no idea, man. I guess for most of the people the only thing they would be interested in is battery replacement after the warranty expires. After warranty, maybe talk to the retailer if they can sell it to a user with no strings attached if you open and break it? I see JamesFiiO is browsing this thread, maybe he can chime in how this is handled by other manufacturers :) I have no idea.

1664489915699.png

But, we are getting off topic :) and to bring it back, the same unit Bobby just received, I had for a few days before him as well, right after the CanJam SoCal, and for those who are interested in pictures and how it compares to R8, here it is:

hiby-rs8-01.jpghiby-rs8-02.jpghiby-rs8-03.jpghiby-rs8-04.jpghiby-rs8-05.jpghiby-rs8-06.jpghiby-rs8-07.jpg
The R8 and RS8 look practically identical, albeit the RS8 is a bit thicker.

Sep 29, 2022 at 6:54 PM Post #222 of 3,403
RS8 is really heavy, I don't know why people called WM1A black brick and WM1Z gold brick, but this RS8 is more like a brick to me when I held it in my hand. I really love the sound from RS8, but I still need to justify my purchase since I mostly use DAP on the go, mostly even during my running.

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:07 PM Post #223 of 3,403
RS8 is really heavy, I don't know why people called WM1A black brick and WM1Z gold brick, but this RS8 is more like a brick to me when I held it in my hand. I really love the sound from RS8, but I still need to justify my purchase since I mostly use DAP on the go, mostly even during my running.

Yeah I 100% couldn’t imagine using this when running. 😵‍💫

Sep 29, 2022 at 7:12 PM Post #224 of 3,403
Sep 29, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #225 of 3,403

Official out of warranty service is direct with Hiby, the cost of repair is very reasonable but the 2-3 month round trip is painful but I guess that's the same for most manufacturers. If they do/will sell parts to end users or repair shops that would be much better time wise as by the time you get it back from China the next gen is out and your dap is worth half it was before you sent it 😅

Users who are viewing this thread

Back