HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
Sep 28, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #137 of 3,405
Ya I'd hard pass on sp3000....
sure...to each their own. Just, once bitten twice shy. I had such an incredible run with the SP2K and it was my reference for reviews for years, much better track record.

But don't begrudge your interest or purchase because of me, I can only relay my experience. It appears @MatW had a less than positive experience as well with the R8. All I can go by is track record.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:03 AM Post #138 of 3,405
sure...to each their own. Just, once bitten twice shy. I had such an incredible run with the SP2K and it was my reference for reviews for years, much better track record.

But don't begrudge your interest or purchase because of me, I can only relay my experience. It appears @MatW had a less than positive experience as well with the R8. All I can go by is track record.
I've had plenty of issues with AK QC and I still give them a shot but I'm just saying hard pass on sp3000 because it just doesn't sound better than a dx320. cayin n8ii and LP6 are superior for similar price. Unless you want to pay a premium for maybe new features and the aesthetics.

I think you keep the sp2k and stay happy unless you're like me and buy things and just sell for loss if you don't like it xD or if you get a free review unit or reduced price.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #139 of 3,405
I did have a good experience with RS6, so I'm definitely interested in RS8. Interested in the SP3K as well, as I like the SP2K I still own, and the Roon feature is great.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:07 AM Post #140 of 3,405
I've had plenty of issues with AK QC and I still give them a shot but I'm just saying hard pass on sp3000 because it just doesn't sound better than a dx320. cayin n8ii and LP6 are superior for similar price. Unless you want to pay a premium for maybe new features and the aesthetics.
All subjective statements, as are my opinions. In the SP3K thread, I did give mad props to Cayin N8ii as they redeemed themselves to me after giving them a marginal review many years ago. I owned the N8ii and have never owned, but have listened many time to LP(horrible UI IMO).

I am sure Hiby will redeem themselves as well, but I never sugar coat much, sorry for the honesty.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2022 at 7:18 AM Post #141 of 3,405
All subjective statements, as are my opinions. In the SP3K thread, I did give mad props to Cayin N8ii as they redeemed themselves to me after giving them a marginal review many years ago. I owned the N8ii and have never owned, but have listened many time to LP(horrible UI IMO).

I am sure Hiby will redeem themselves as well, but I never sugar coat much, sorry for the honesty.
Nothing to be sorry about I was being honest too. I spent a long time at canjam so cal with it because I was excited for it I had no expectations for the rs8 except that i knew it was going to be a R2R with streaming when Andrew handed it to me. I have no affiliation or bias here if anything the bias was towards cayin and my dx320...

the ak sp3000 its tuning and technicality are just a side grade from my dx320. I was hoping for a upgrade because everything else about the sp3000 intrigued me and I wanted the sp3000 to be my upgrade.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:30 AM Post #142 of 3,405
Nothing to be sorry about I was being honest too. I spent a long time at canjam so cal with it because I was excited for it I had no expectations for the rs8 except that i knew it was going to be a R2R with streaming when Andrew handed it to me. I have no affiliation or bias here if anything the bias was towards cayin and my dx320...

the ak sp3000 its tuning and technicality are just a side grade from my dx320. I was hoping for a upgrade because everything else about the sp3000 intrigued me and I wanted the sp3000 to be my upgrade.
I appreciate that, but I have never been able to quick listen to any device, less on a showroom floor, and hear all of the nuances it can bring to the table, so time will tell. Thank God for options. I had the R8, M8 and DX300 at the same time, an ultimately chose the M8. It comes down to what checks your boxes. If the SP3K doesn't work for me for some reason, time to move on.

Sep 28, 2022 at 7:42 AM Post #143 of 3,405
I appreciate that, but I have never been able to quick listen to any device, less on a showroom floor, and hear all of the nuances it can bring to the table, so time will tell. Thank God for options. I had the R8, M8 and DX300 at the same time, an ultimately chose the M8. It comes down to what checks your boxes. If the SP3K doesn't work for me for some reason, time to move on.
Socal they had a private room with a couch xD they let you take it off it's stand hehe. Well I hope it works out for you.

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #144 of 3,405
There will be a dock for the RS8 with RCA, optical, coaxial, XLR out. Too bad RS8 does not have separate DC power to bypass the internal battery, so it can't be used as a permanent desktop DAC AMP setup like the Fiio M17.

cr08.jpg

Sep 28, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #146 of 3,405
Any info on price of dock.
I think it will be included for free when you buy the RS8 during preorder in China. Not sure if it will be included for US dealers. Dock price is around 2000 CNY ($280).

Sep 28, 2022 at 10:02 AM Post #149 of 3,405

Users who are viewing this thread

Back