HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Jan 19, 2023 at 12:36 AM Post #2,747 of 3,181
Sorry I think I had turned the EQ on with high frequency boosted. The said clipping noise is gone as i tuned down the level. Apparently the new HDR acts some kind of high frequency enhanced, if I guess correctly.
No, the audible FR is not affected, but the way it works does leave less room for high frequency EQ boosts.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Jan 22, 2023 at 5:10 AM Post #2,749 of 3,181
So we'd have to fork over an extra $300 if we want to avoid chipping? Brilliant! I'm out. Sony it is.

drftr
Wm1a mk2?

Jan 22, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #2,752 of 3,181
Hey guys! I'm set to receive my RS6 tomorrow (Monday). I've gone back here to see what the current discussions are and noticed the recent update changes with sound quality. Just wanted to ask, because it is not very clear, is it possible to get that warm original sound that everyone praised when it first came out? Does turning off HDR help get that R2R sound back?
If i wanted a clean analytical sound, i would just keep my current DX240.

Jan 22, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #2,753 of 3,181
Jan 22, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #2,754 of 3,181
Hey guys! I'm set to receive my RS6 tomorrow (Monday). I've gone back here to see what the current discussions are and noticed the recent update changes with sound quality. Just wanted to ask, because it is not very clear, is it possible to get that warm original sound that everyone praised when it first came out? Does turning off HDR help get that R2R sound back?
If i wanted a clean analytical sound, i would just keep my current DX240.
Honestly, I was a little bit concerned after the software update. But now, with enabled (!) HDR, the RS6 does not sound clinical. The stage is larger and the separation of instruments is much better. That’s what makes him sound not so warm. But the RS6 sounds more mature and for me, plays now in a different league.
Combined with my C9, it’s close to the N8ii and partially above.

Jan 26, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #2,755 of 3,181
As of my last testing, I found that you could set the sample rate converter to convert multiples of 48kHz to 48kHz, or multiples of 44.1kHz to 44.1kHz. Either 44.1 or 48kHz, sent to the convolver, should work (with either 44.1 or 48kHz convolver files)--it handles 44.1<->48kHz conversion okay.

So, that lets you get around it--with the caveat that you need to change settings whenever you move from a multiple-of-44.1kHz file to a multiple-of-48kHz file.

Oh did the new firmware update resolve the issues we had with different sample rates when using plugins/usb dac mode (stuttering)? I think it might have... testing now. I was going to give up on Hiby as another company that doesn't maintain software updates or improvements for their products (Fiio looking at you), but it's a pleasant surprise they haven't forgotten about us with this new FW release.

HD mode option is much appreciated - it sounds like lovely a mix between clean delta sigma and r2r, cleaner but still organic, it gives us another option to tailor the sound towards little clearer and sparkly (but still smooth ofcourse) depending on different headphones we use. I've been using the Mojo 2 (with good optical source) as lately I've enjoyed the cleaner signature with some warm IEMs, but now the RS6 is killing it

Thanks Hiby - The RS6 is on track to become my favourite source.

Plugin pledge: digital dithered volume control for the line out. I want to use it with some pre amps, but it can be too hot output making them distort depending on the track.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #2,756 of 3,181
Ok - @Joe Bloggs I think there's a problem with HDR mode - I hear slight distortion/noise or intermodulation especially with bass heavy tracks. When I turn off HDR it's gone. Playing something ambient with lot of bass it's very easy to hear with sensitive IEMs.

I don't have EQ nor any plugins enabled, and I'm not driving the output hard. I tried on both line out and headphone out.

I will try restart

update: restart didn't help. I tried to lower volume via convolution plugin, didn't work unfortunately the noise is still there - it's almost like some kind of noise interference.. again it absolutely doesn't happen at all using same parameters when HDR is turned off. Not sure what else I can try

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2023 at 6:50 PM Post #2,757 of 3,181
Black and Copper and Gold is the way to go! :ksc75smile:
20230127_164019.jpg
20230127_164553.jpg
20230127_164607.jpg

Jan 27, 2023 at 9:38 PM Post #2,758 of 3,181
Jan 27, 2023 at 11:22 PM Post #2,760 of 3,181
Which case do you have on your RS6?
Yes the above link from sfoclt is the case I just received. Just keep in mind that in my use and some reviews on Amazon, the case is a bit snug around the volume wheel. Making hard to turn the wheel and get clicks on it. I went ahead and cut the edge to loosen the part around the wheel and it's working perfectly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back