HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Feb 10, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #2,776 of 3,181
We can argue wanting other DAP due to tonality, which is valid, but tonality can be fixed using the right IEM provided the DAP is technically capable.
Well, I'm in love with my Noble Sultan so it's getting more and more unlikely that I will make a change on that front. I would love to see its sub bass a bit tighter though and without adding to the amount. I have heard RS6 only once and with different IEMs but I'm afraid it will do the exact opposite to the Sultan than what I'm looking for, namely adding to the sub bass and also make it slightly woolier and less tight. So that's where my hesitation comes from. It's certainly not the quality, just the match.

drftr

Feb 10, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #2,777 of 3,181
Does any of you have any experience with sourcing new battery? The original got swollen, Hiby only offered that I send the whole DAP to them, which I am rather reluctant to do, and they will not sell the battery separately. Of course it is one month after warranty. First, I bought one advertised as 3,8V Li-Pol from China, got Li-ion with which the dap was completely dead, next sourced 3,8V Li-pol locally, it turns on but not charging, probably because battery temp shows 65 Celsius (just a sensor communication error, the battery is cold).
I do not care about capacity as I mostly used it plugged in (limiting charge to 70%) but it wont turn on without battery.
The experience from people who have changed batteries, is that the control circuit of the original battery needs to be swapped onto the new battery.
The actual battery cell is generic, but there is a small circuit board on top of the battery, covered by the foil. This identifies the battery to the DAP, and and has charging and protection circuits. The DAP/Device is programmed to work with the control circuit on the original battery, so once the control circuit is moved from the old battery to the new battery, the DAP (Device) will see the original control circuit it expects to see, and interface with the battery through the circuit.
Today's Lithium batteries have "smarts", which did not exist on older batteries/devices. Lithium has high power density, but needs to be managed carefully, thus the "smarts" a re built into them, even though the user is mostly not aware of this.

If you do a search for this, you should see examples/advice on this.

Feb 10, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #2,778 of 3,181
The experience from people who have changed batteries, is that the control circuit of the original battery needs to be swapped onto the new battery.
The actual battery cell is generic, but there is a small circuit board on top of the battery, covered by the foil. This identifies the battery to the DAP, and and has charging and protection circuits. The DAP/Device is programmed to work with the control circuit on the original battery, so once the control circuit is moved from the old battery to the new battery, the DAP (Device) will see the original control circuit it expects to see, and interface with the battery through the circuit.
Today's Lithium batteries have "smarts", which did not exist on older batteries/devices. Lithium has high power density, but needs to be managed carefully, thus the "smarts" a re built into them, even though the user is mostly not aware of this.

If you do a search for this, you should see examples/advice on this.
Thank you for the response. That is what I was afraid of. Did not expect to be so difficult to get a spare so I threw the old one away. Guess I am screwed and will have to send it to Hiby.

Feb 10, 2023 at 5:00 PM Post #2,779 of 3,181
Alright, I can with certainty say RS6 is my favorite all rounder DAP.

Form, function and tonality are well balanced.
It is musical, detailed and engaging all at once.

It took me 1.5 year and 5 other dap purchases in order I come to realization.

No I need the perfect IEM to compete the set for it.
While I wouldn't say any IEM is 'perfect', I've found outstanding synergy with the RS6 and Andro2020...
Well, I'm in love with my Noble Sultan so it's getting more and more unlikely that I will make a change on that front. I would love to see its sub bass a bit tighter though and without adding to the amount. I have heard RS6 only once and with different IEMs but I'm afraid it will do the exact opposite to the Sultan than what I'm looking for, namely adding to the sub bass and also make it slightly woolier and less tight. So that's where my hesitation comes from. It's certainly not the quality, just the match.

drftr
...as the things @drftr mentions are pretty much exactly what Andro2020 needs to go from great to GOAT.

I often question why I'd ever need anything else when I'm listening to these 2 together, but where would the fun in that be? :)

Feb 11, 2023 at 7:13 AM Post #2,781 of 3,181
While I wouldn't say any IEM is 'perfect', I've found outstanding synergy with the RS6 and Andro2020...

...as the things @drftr mentions are pretty much exactly what Andro2020 needs to go from great to GOAT.

I often question why I'd ever need anything else when I'm listening to these 2 together, but where would the fun in that be? :)
Right now I'm feeling the same way with the Fir VxV. I want to try other IEMs on the RS6, but I keep reaching for the Fir because it transforms when paired. I have the DX240 which technically has more power. On the 240 they just sound great, but on the RS6 they sound "damn 😳". The RS6 opens up the soundstage and makes the mids so clear and crisp. All this, combined with the fact that the VxV are so comfortable compared to other bulbous top-tier IEMs, makes me want to reach only for them at the moment.
20230206_174622.jpg

Feb 15, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #2,782 of 3,181
I didn't think the VxV could sound any better from the RS6. But putting it through the B4-X was a totally different experience! I'm no pro audio reviewer, so I don't know how to describe what I heard. But everything seemed wider, with mids more forward and intimate, and maybe better instrument separation. It was just "🤌🏻 chef's kiss".
Can't wait to try the Aune B1s that's on the way to me and see how it compares.

20230215_161931.jpg
20230215_162101.jpg

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:53 PM Post #2,784 of 3,181
Hello all, one query please. Does RS6 has enough power to drive Arya Stealth or HE1000 Stealth. Please let me know if somebody got a chance to check this combination..thanks
I doubt it, to be honest. You'd be close at the end of the scale, with really not much headroom.

Feb 19, 2023 at 10:56 PM Post #2,785 of 3,181
Hey guys, do you know if the RS6 can be used as Roon endpoint with no dreadful Android resampling?

Feb 20, 2023 at 12:11 AM Post #2,786 of 3,181
Hey guys, do you know if the RS6 can be used as Roon endpoint with no dreadful Android resampling?
We make avoidance of SRC a selling point but even then I must admit that Android resampling is not as "dreadful" as you think. Mainstream OSes do it, so that concurrent audio streams can play together and / or blend one into the next without hiccups. Resampling can and are implemented at very high quality in android devices such that its effects can be inaudible if you're not told it's there... back when I was at FiiO, their first Android-based DAP, the X7 OG, also advertised avoiding SRC in some cases, but one of the most important pieces of work I did was finding and eliminating an offending piece of code that caused resampling to be done in "draft" rather than HiFi quality...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Feb 20, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #2,787 of 3,181
We make avoidance of SRC a selling point but even then I must admit that Android resampling is not as "dreadful" as you think. Mainstream OSes do it, so that concurrent audio streams can play together and / or blend one into the next without hiccups. Resampling can and are implemented at very high quality in android devices such that its effects can be inaudible if you're not told it's there... back when I was at FiiO, their first Android-based DAP, the X7 OG, also advertised avoiding SRC in some cases, but one of the most important pieces of work I did was finding and eliminating an offending piece of code that caused resampling to be done in "draft" rather than HiFi quality...
I just would like to be able to play high res files without resampling (up or down)...

Feb 20, 2023 at 1:24 AM Post #2,789 of 3,181
Just use RS6 in DAC mode connected to some IPad or IPhone and Roon will work as it should

Feb 20, 2023 at 2:35 AM Post #2,790 of 3,181
Just use RS6 in DAC mode connected to some IPad or IPhone and Roon will work as it should
Not the most practical solution for a DAP :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back