HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 24, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #1,441 of 3,181
Nov 24, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,442 of 3,181
Agree, Joe's last comment and will to understand the challenges of the product user is also appreciated.
It's awesome but I don't want to go back to stock tips and cable, LOL. jk. I said it before, Hiby should come out with an IEM that is very low distortion, with great group delay at crossover points and tweak a setting for them.

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:55 PM Post #1,443 of 3,181
It's awesome but I don't want to go back to stock tips and cable, LOL. jk. I said it before, Hiby should come out with an IEM that is very low distortion, with great group delay at crossover points and tweak a setting for them.
You don't need to do that, this is not AutoEQ where you measure and must stick with the default config that was measured.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 25, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #1,446 of 3,181
(This impression post has been updated to reflect firmware version 1.30g, significant changes has occurred to warrant a revisit: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hib...res-android-music-player.958878/post-16702571)

So as promised, now that I have spent a good half a dozen hours on the RS6, I wanted to give the rest of the peeps on the fence some additional feedback in depth.

As most comments previously already mentioned RS6 is more pairing sensitive but no one seems to go into more depth what makes what pairing tick.. Since I have a fair amount IEM between my friend and I, I was able to test quite a few IEM pairings and with measurements to back it up. All listening is done in the range of 55db-65db. (yes apparently my hearing is more sensitive compared to most, this was measured with a calibrated SPL meter).

DSC_0081.JPG

As an initial point the RS6 definitely has more of an W-shaped signature with emphasis in sub/mid bass (slam) and upper mids (female vocals). Tuning very similar to the previous R6 Pro I owned but with a warmer signature.

Direct comparisons were made mainly for RS6 and P6 Pro, but Paw6k and ZX507 was also used as reference. I'm not going to get into the OS/software/interface comparison, this particular post is strictly sound impressions. IEM used for this comparision: Hyla Sarda, Elysian Annihilator (CIEM), Hidition Viento-B, JVC-FDX1, Timeless, Mest MKII, Blessing2, Acoustune 1650cu/1657cu, AME J12U.

DSC_0077.JPG

P6 Pro (black) for those have heard it is definitely up there in terms of technicalities with a mostly neutral to natural tonality. No real emphasis given to any specific frequency range, very detailed notes with slight rounding off, analog sound. Good, natural decay across the board.

In comparison, the RS6 has overwhelming amounts of mid bass (I hope you REALLY like slam). The overly warm tonality muddles the lower mids (all the notes are present but isn't always clear, instruments may be harder to identify specifically). The bass frequency decay is slow. Does not work well with EDM/dance type musics. the overwhelming mid-bass also doesn't play well with orchestral tracks either. It does well however for Rock/Hip hop/Rap music. The treble regions do have clean notes but a bit more digital texture compared to P6P...actually making it sound like a delta-sigma chip instead of a R-2R (RS6 treble actually sounds very similar to P6k, less so analog like P6P), with the right amount of decay, but that causes a bit of coherency issues with the bass regions with the two frequency ranges having different decay speeds. Bass regions definitely have that anolog sound but its a bit too smoothed out losing some texture compared to the P6P while treble regions sound somewhat less analog with some digital textures.

Upper mids (especially female vocals)....sound thin, this is exacerbated with thinner sounding IEM's and is probably where the largest pairing issue comes into play, the second being the mid-bass emphasis (yes you can have too much slam) pairing summary below:

Hyla Sarda: Way too much slam and female vocals sound hollow, sibilance
Annihilator: Too much slam, female vocals thin
Hidition Viento-B: Bass good (just right in fact), hollw female vocals
JVC-FDX1 (green filter): Good bass, but the slight metallic ting by the IEM is exasperated by the thinner mids.
Timeless: Bass a bit overwhelming (not too bad but definitely bass-head range), vocals a bit forward
Blessing2: Bass fine, hollow female vocals, some sibilance
Acoustune 1650cu/1657cu: O GOD THE METALLIC TING
UM Mest MKII: The true winner pairing as everyone else reflected, thanks to is tamer FR curve the mid-bass gets boosted to the right amount for most AND the recessed 2k rise works excellent with the more forward female vocal tuning of the RS6
AME J12U (I know pretty much no one knows of this IEM, FR below): the already warmer nature of this IEM....surprisingly did not get warmer with the RS6. Mid-bass with the RS6 was actually the right amount and the female vocal has the right amount of weight behind it.
REW V5.20.4 2021_11_25 16_14_13.png

(feel free to ignore the 0-20hz range and past 12khz, those regions are definitely not accurate)

Summary:
RS6 is a competent player BUT its not for everyone. In fact its heavily based on your own individual music preferences AND the gear you have. I know there's a very huge price difference between P6P and RS6 but there just isn't enough options in the portable R-2R market and P6P is as of now the best standard we have. Using P6P as the base line:

Sound: emphasized mid-bass, blunt lower mids, emphasized and thiner upper mids, upper mids and treble a bit of digital texture.
Pairings: IEMs with a tamer FR curve like the Mest MKII, some warmer IEMs. AVOID if your transducer collection is skewed towards thinner upper mids or boosted mid-bass (unless you are a bass head and really need more slam). Also avoid if your transducers have a bit of a metallic ting to them (this is probably why some IER-Z1R users don't like this pairing even though on FR it should be a good fit.)

Unfortunately this player will not have a place in my collection.....thankfully my friend with the Mest MKII is happy to take it right off of my hands.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,448 of 3,181
So as promised, now that I have spent a good half a dozen hours on the RS6, I wanted to give the rest of the peeps on the fence some additional feedback in depth.

As most comments previously already mentioned RS6 is more pairing sensitive but no one seems to go into more depth what makes what pairing tick.. Since I have a fair amount IEM between my friend and I, I was able to test quite a few IEM pairings and with measurements to back it up. All listening is done in the range of 55db-65db. (yes apparently my hearing is more sensitive compared to most, this was measured with a calibrated SPL meter).

DSC_0081.JPG

As an initial point the RS6 definitely has more of an W-shaped signature with emphasis in sub/mid bass (slam) and upper mids (female vocals). Tuning very similar to the previous R6 Pro I owned but with a warmer signature.

Direct comparisons were made mainly for RS6 and P6 Pro, but Paw6k and ZX507 was also used as reference. I'm not going to get into the OS/software/interface comparison, this particular post is strictly sound impressions. IEM used for this comparision: Hyla Sarda, Elysian Annihilator (CIEM), Hidition Viento-B, JVC-FDX1, Timeless, Mest MKII, Blessing2, Acoustune 1650cu/1657cu, AME J12U.

DSC_0077.JPG

P6 Pro (black) for those have heard it is definitely up there in terms of technicalities with a mostly neutral to natural tonality. No real emphasis given to any specific frequency range, very detailed notes with slight rounding off, analog sound. Good, natural decay across the board.

In comparison, the RS6 has overwhelming amounts of mid bass (I hope you REALLY like slam). The overly warm tonality muddles the lower mids (all the notes are present but isn't always clear, instruments may be harder to identify specifically). The bass frequency decay is slow. Does not work well with EDM/dance type musics. the overwhelming mid-bass also doesn't play well with orchestral tracks either. It does well however for Rock/Hip hop/Rap music. The treble regions do have clean notes but a bit more digital texture compared to P6P...actually making it sound like a delta-sigma chip instead of a R-2R (RS6 treble actually sounds very similar to P6k, less so analog like P6P), with the right amount of decay, but that causes a bit of coherency issues with the bass regions with the two frequency ranges having different decay speeds. Bass regions definitely have that anolog sound but its a bit too smoothed out losing some texture compared to the P6P while treble regions sound somewhat less analog with some digital textures.

Upper mids (especially female vocals)....sound thin, this is exacerbated with thinner sounding IEM's and is probably where the largest pairing issue comes into play, the second being the mid-bass emphasis (yes you can have too much slam) pairing summary below:

Hyla Sarda: Way too much slam and female vocals sound hollow, sibilance
Annihilator: Too much slam, female vocals thin
Hidition Viento-B: Bass good (just right in fact), hollw female vocals
JVC-FDX1 (green filter): Good bass, but the slight metallic ting by the IEM is exasperated by the thinner mids.
Timeless: Bass a bit overwhelming (not too bad but definitely bass-head range), vocals a bit forward
Blessing2: Bass fine, hollow female vocals, some sibilance
Acoustune 1650cu/1657cu: O GOD THE METALLIC TING
UM Mest MKII: The true winner pairing as everyone else reflected, thanks to is tamer FR curve the mid-bass gets boosted to the right amount for most AND the recessed 2k rise works excellent with the more forward female vocal tuning of the RS6
AME J12U (I know pretty much no one knows of this IEM, FR below): the already warmer nature of this IEM....surprisingly did not get warmer with the RS6. Mid-bass with the RS6 was actually the right amount and the female vocal has the right amount of weight behind it.
REW V5.20.4 2021_11_25 16_14_13.png
(feel free to ignore the 0-20hz range and past 12khz, those regions are definitely not accurate)

Summary:
RS6 is a competent player BUT its not for everyone. In fact its heavily based on your own individual music preferences AND the gear you have. I know there's a very huge price difference between P6P and RS6 but there just isn't enough options in the portable R-2R market and P6P is as of now the best standard we have. Using P6P as the base line:

Sound: emphasized mid-bass, blunt lower mids, emphasized and thiner upper mids, upper mids and treble a bit of digital texture.
Pairings: IEMs with a tamer FR curve like the Mest MKII, some warmer IEMs. AVOID if your transducer collection is skewed towards thinner upper mids or boosted mid-bass (unless you are a bass head and really need more slam). Also avoid if your transducers have a bit of a metallic ting to them (this is probably why some IER-Z1R users don't like this pairing even though on FR it should be a good fit.)

Unfortunately this player will not have a place in my collection.....thankfully my friend with the Mest MKII is happy to take it right off of my hands.

Fantastic information here. Thanks. Just want to mention though that there is another R2R DAP other than the LP ones and that's the Hifiman R2R2000 I'm not sure if anyone has one or compared it to one though

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:04 AM Post #1,449 of 3,181
New MSEB added

FB_IMG_1637899034364.jpgScreenshot_20211126-115653_Facebook.jpg
This is very interesting, I am trying to download this on the MSEB plugins, but I cannot see. Is it out yet? if not, when will it be released?

Nov 26, 2021 at 12:13 AM Post #1,451 of 3,181

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-051300.png
    Screenshot_20211126-051300.png
    62 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:34 AM Post #1,453 of 3,181
Thanks mate, I found it. FYI for everyone else

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211126-053248.png
    Screenshot_20211126-053248.png
    90.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 26, 2021 at 12:50 AM Post #1,454 of 3,181
These little software tweaks are pretty awesome. First time using a proper DAP so I'm somewhat mind-blown by these little novelties. Mostly been using a desktop DAC which normally doesn't have these features aside from filters from DAC chip.

Another question I have: I use the HiBy as an external DAC (USB input) for my Windows PC. I found that there is a small latency to the audio output and has made the dialogue and audio out-of-sync by a split second, which is noticable.

Is there a workaround for this in the HiBy software? or will have to adjust settings on windows?

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #1,455 of 3,181
Fantastic information here. Thanks. Just want to mention though that there is another R2R DAP other than the LP ones and that's the Hifiman R2R2000 I'm not sure if anyone has one or compared it to one though
Honestly I've only see the R2R2000 compared against the N6ii r01....also R2R2000 is chip based NOT discrete. The LP6 would be in the same convo being chip based R2R if we aren't talking about discrete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back