HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Aug 5, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #48 of 3,181
Let me add one more thing. I realize some people had hoped for a digital volume control. I personally have no problem with a traditional volume pot. My hope is that they use a high-quality pot. At least at the level of a Japanese Alps pot or better.

You really have to use a high-quality pot so you don't get any channel imbalances. So this is really another important component in my opinion.
but the volume control *is* going to be digital (the knob is a rotary encoder) :sweat_smile:

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Aug 5, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #50 of 3,181
The upcoming RS6 is rumored to feature R2R architecture for the DAC conversion.

The R6 features dual chips for the DAC conversion. Two totally different animals.

This thread is about the RS6 so I suggest everyone keep to the topic at hand.
If you think this will be a discrete ladder, I suspect you'll be disappointed. My response was on point in terms of Hiby tendencies. The WIFI, bluetooth and V control type have no reason to be altered from their current tendencies just because it may be an R2R DAC. The rumor is Intel is coming out with a new ladder chip. It will likely use FPGA and allow a Dig V control with more than enough bandwidth to accommodate a bit perfect system with high sample rates. Rumor mill speculation on my part about the architecture but intel already make very high bandwidth FPGA DACs for military use. I certainly wouldn't mind an analog v control with rotary encoder and a discrete ladder DAC but there's good reasons not to, including tolerances available (DAC) at this price point plus extra added V circuitry with no real value unless required.

Also don't know how many chips nor DACs per chip. Kinda immaterial to the process outside of current draw implications.
(I still think using 1/2 of 2 stereo chips sometimes sounds better due to current limiting of thin IC tracks.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #51 of 3,181
If you think this will be a discrete ladder, I suspect you'll be disappointed. My response was on point in terms of Hiby tendencies. The WIFI, bluetooth and V control type have no reason to be altered from their current tendencies just because it may be an R2R DAC. The rumor is Intel is coming out with a new ladder chip. It will likely use FPGA and allow a Dig V control with more than enough bandwidth to accommodate a bit perfect system with high sample rates. Rumor mill speculation on my part about the architecture but intel already make very high bandwidth FPGA DACs for military use. I certainly wouldn't mind an analog v control with rotary encoder and a discrete ladder DAC but there's good reasons not to, including tolerances available (DAC) at this price point plus extra added V circuitry with no real value unless required.

Also don't know how many chips nor DACs per chip. Kinda immaterial to the process outside of current draw implications.
(I still think using 1/2 of 2 stereo chips sometimes sounds better due to current limiting of thin IC tracks.
No worries. And I honestly agree with many of your points. I guess in my excitement I assumed it would be ladder architecture. The reality is we will have to all wait to see what they actually bring to the table.

Aug 5, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #52 of 3,181
No worries. And I honestly agree with many of your points. I guess in my excitement I assumed it would be ladder architecture. The reality is we will have to all wait to see what they actually bring to the table.
Just to make certain that you understand, ladder does not mean discrete. All the 1st DAC chips were R2R which isn't exactly the same thing but functionally so. I'm also finding that as jitter and errors get better sorted, the DAC architecture becomes less important and it's more about implementation.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #53 of 3,181
Just to make certain that you understand, ladder does not mean discrete. I'm also finding that as jitter and errors get better sorted, the DAC architecture becomes less important and it's more about implementation.

Yes for sure. You can have a ladder on a chip. I think several companies still make these. It will be interesting to see what it all shakes our to be.

Aug 7, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #54 of 3,181
Guess it hasn't been mentioned yet: will RS6 offer a true LO from DAC?

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #58 of 3,181

Bili Bili?

Dilly Dilly!

dilly-dilly-bud-light.gif

Aug 23, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #60 of 3,181
I do not know if it is reliable news ..... for this reason I was wondering if you knew something more or more defined

I wasn't commenting on your source or the info sorry, the Bili Bili name just reminded me of those ads :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back