HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Aug 2, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #31 of 3,181
I like Hiby's players; I have purchased 3 in the past - an R3, an R6 Pro (now sold) and my latest, the R6 2020. This new DAP certainly piques my interest.

Sadly, though, as others have mentioned, that volume knob isn't the greatest. In practical use, changing the volume often becomes a 2-handed task, as opposed to the 1-handed operation that it was meant to be. I'm hoping that this is amended in a future flagship release.

In any case, I am still enjoying my time with my R6 2020, sound-wise, at least. :)

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #33 of 3,181
thanks for the information. I think it will compete with Cayin n6ii with the new module.
That’s the hope! I already kind of miss selling my Ti but I figured it’s a pioneer in R2R android streaming and I can afford a bit of patience at this point.

Aug 2, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #34 of 3,181
How confident are you guys of the r2r architectur rumors?

Aug 3, 2021 at 1:29 AM Post #36 of 3,181
So I'm not turned off by a (maybe) price of $1500-$1600 dollars for the RS6. One of the deal breakers for me would be if the device uses low grade parts. The trick to a high quality R2R dac is the use of high-quality capacitors and equally high-quality resistors. Ideally I'd love to see some tantalum capacitors used. I'd love to see some high quality electrolytic capacitors used. And I'd love to see these parts very tightly matched to a high level of tolerance. That's how you make the dac section of this device stellar. That's how you get a dynamic and highly resolved sound in a R2R.

Another hardware feature I'd like would be a powerful and robust WiFi antenna. I do a huge amount of listening streaming internet radio via Tune-In. So having a strong connection and signal via WiFi is essential to me.

Software wise as I stated I would also need easy and reliable app support to Tune-In and for Amazon HD music. I know others use a variety of music apps.

I mean Hiby is on the right path with this device. If it is indeed milled from copper then this is a great high-quality material to make a great player from. So in my book they are off to a great start. Let's see what they bring to the public. I'm definitely hopeful and eager to buy one if they can produce something noteworthy.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 5:01 AM Post #37 of 3,181
So I'm not turned off by a (maybe) price of $1500-$1600 dollars for the RS6. One of the deal breakers for me would be if the device uses low grade parts. The trick to a high quality R2R dac is the use of high-quality capacitors and equally high-quality resistors. Ideally I'd love to see some tantalum capacitors used. I'd love to see some high quality electrolytic capacitors used. And I'd love to see these parts very tightly matched to a high level of tolerance. That's how you make the dac section of this device stellar. That's how you get a dynamic and highly resolved sound in a R2R.

Another hardware feature I'd like would be a powerful and robust WiFi antenna. I do a huge amount of listening streaming internet radio via Tune-In. So having a strong connection and signal via WiFi is essential to me.

Software wise as I stated I would also need easy and reliable app support to Tune-In and for Amazon HD music. I know others use a variety of music apps.

I mean Hiby is on the right path with this device. If it is indeed milled from copper then this is a great high-quality material to make a great player from. So in my book they are off to a great start. Let's see what they bring to the public. I'm definitely hopeful and eager to buy one if they can produce something noteworthy.
Do you think that Hiby to optimize everything ..... Can fit inside it, what you have transcribed or do you think that for the price range on which it stands it may not benefit from everything you have written?

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:04 AM Post #38 of 3,181
Do you think that Hiby to optimize everything ..... Can fit inside it, what you have transcribed or do you think that for the price range on which it stands it may not benefit from everything you have written?
We'll know soon enough. I'm expecting high-quality parts if it's going to be in the ~$1500 price bracket as speculated. HiBy has always used very good parts in their 6-series DAPs (remember the R6 Pro was their flagship before the R8).

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #39 of 3,181
Like mentioned before the biggest problem with the R6vwas it's wifi signal and it getting interference from nearby cellphones.

Aug 3, 2021 at 5:11 AM Post #40 of 3,181
So that's a great question.

I think it's definitely possible. I think they can fit everything in and create a great player. Now we realize that no player is going to be perfect. But I think battery size can be on the upper end of size. Again I think the fact that if they are using a real quality metal like copper then they are taking this seriously. Copper is thought to have good synergy with electricity and is said to add a good tone to musicical devices.. The screen looks large and I hope the RS6 has a high-quality screen with great resolution. I hope they use a Gorilla glass 4 or better.

I know it's possible and for the price this can become a very special player. We shall see.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2021 at 5:22 AM Post #41 of 3,181
Let me add one more thing. I realize some people had hoped for a digital volume control. I personally have no problem with a traditional volume pot. My hope is that they use a high-quality pot. At least at the level of a Japanese Alps pot or better.

You really have to use a high-quality pot so you don't get any channel imbalances. So this is really another important component in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #42 of 3,181
This is the water damage to your device, pictured, that we saw upon receipt of your device back at our headquarters. It will not power on anymore even with a new battery. FWIW lithium batteries don't leak.
water damage.jpg
This doesn't look to me like liquid damage, the board would be white/grey, looks almost like heat damage

Aug 3, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #43 of 3,181

They already do all those things on the current R6 and most pots currently operate in the dig domain..

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2021 at 6:35 AM Post #45 of 3,181
Given the brass or copper (?) enclosure, I suppose that the RS6 would be significantly heavier than the R6 2020? I quite enjoy the mass of the latter; it's neither too heavy, nor too light. It's comfortable for extended use (read: carrying them in hand).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back