HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 1, 2021 at 9:56 AM Post #1,546 of 3,181
I've just tried it with mine. Can't really say I hear much of a difference, maybe ever so slightly smoother (though I'm using an IE 900, not a VE IEM). Not quite sure about 'next level' Alex, but possibly a very slight refinement to my ears (your hearing is definitely more sensitive and trained than mine though!).

That's puzzling because with my RS6 (ok, the loaner from Musicteck since I have to send my original RS6 back for replacement) when I change between default setting and VE Erlkonig preset, the sound scales up. What I do, I go to default with all presets off and NOS on, high gain (gain is important here), use HibyMusic, and play a track, pause in the middle, and quickly switch to a preset. I mean, not talking about night'n'day difference, but soundstage is wider, imaging is more 3D, dynamics improved, and I even hear more air in treble. I tested and verified every VE preset with corresponding VE iems and other IEMs with Erlkonig preset, and there is a noticeable difference. And I did the same with a number of 64 Audio iems and presets, especially Nio where you can hear the difference with corresponding presets. Also to note, I have at least 250hrs of burn in on RS6. I was just A/Bing Traillii between LPGT and RS6 w/Erl preset, and it is not too far off. Been trying this for a few days now, to make sure my mind is not playing tricks on me in the morning or at night.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #1,547 of 3,181
That's puzzling because with my RS6 (ok, the loaner from Musicteck since I have to send my original RS6 back for replacement) when I change between default setting and VE Erlkonig preset, the sound scales up. What I do, I go to default with all presets off and NOS on, high gain (gain is important here), use HibyMusic, and play a track, pause in the middle, and quickly switch to a preset. I mean, not talking about night'n'day difference, but soundstage is wider, imaging is more 3D, dynamics improved, and I even hear more air in treble. I tested and verified every VE preset with corresponding VE iems and other IEMs with Erlkonig preset, and there is a noticeable difference. And I did the same with a number of 64 Audio iems and presets, especially Nio where you can hear the difference with corresponding presets. Also to note, I have at least 250hrs of burn in on RS6. I was just A/Bing Traillii between LPGT and RS6 w/Erl preset, and it is not too far off. Been trying this for a few days now, to make sure my mind is not playing tricks on me in the morning or at night.
You could very well be right, I'll have to give it more time as mine was just a quick test. Also I don't use HiBy Music, only UAPP, though that shouldn't really make a difference (I hope). No question RS6 is a very good player, and being R2R will for sure benefit and settle well beyond 200-300h burn-in. I'm very optimistic about what HiBy can do with an R2R flagship DAP. Here's hoping and waiting...

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #1,548 of 3,181
PLEASE, go to Darwin controller setting and select VE Erlkonig presets, and don't touch anything else. That preset scales up RS6 to a new level :D
Yes sir....that impression from VE Erlkonig preset....very good on 7hz timeless for my ear.....owh...and leonidas ii cable

Dec 1, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #1,549 of 3,181
I try that preset with penon serial really impress me. Soundstage and holographic get better but i only able try on Mid gain high gain vocal get too hot.

Dec 1, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #1,550 of 3,181
I try that preset with penon serial really impress me. Soundstage and holographic get better but i only able try on Mid gain high gain vocal get too hot.
Of course, will depend on sensitivity of your iems. I just wanted to be sure I'm not going crazy here :D and there are others who hear similar results.

Dec 1, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,552 of 3,181
So will I, I have set the VE EXT preset, I run it high gain anyway :p

Dec 2, 2021 at 2:32 AM Post #1,554 of 3,181
I thought RS6's IEM Customized Preset function was a placebo, but when I set it as a VE Erlkonig preset recommended by @twister6, I changed my mind.

High gain, Darwin filter default, and NOS activation status.
Use the Erlkonig preset.
Compared to when the preset was turned off, the effect I felt was distracting as the preset off sound was scattered (probably reverberation?),
but it sounds harmonious when the Erlkonig preset is activated.
And in the overall atmosphere of the song, especially in the song where vocals are important, there was something dry and pronunciation-emphasized (sibilant) when the preset was off,
but it became much softer and more comfortable to listen to when the Erlkonig preset was activated.

Dec 2, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #1,555 of 3,181
Not sure if anyone else had experienced this but when I play 96/24 tracks using Hiby Music it gets played back at 48/24 whereas the same tracks get played back properly at 96/24 on Neutron and USB Audio Player Pro.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #1,557 of 3,181
You must have enabled something, happened to Mr.
Does it mean that enabling any effects like MSEB makes the audio stream go through default Android sound subsystem and be resampled to 48/24? 🤦🏼‍♂️
So basically you can either listen to original sampling rate OR apply any system-wide settings like MSEB or plugins?
In other words, could someone listen to e.g. Apple Music Lossless in hi-res and apply MSEB at the same time without resampling?

Dec 2, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #1,558 of 3,181
I’m not very happy with my RS6. I listen to a LOT of live music, and the RS6 really struggles to present a coherent soundstage— frequently you have instruments popping out here and there without any connective tissue between them. I’m not entirely sure yet why, but it may be a low-level linearity problem, or have something to do with the truncated reverb tails the RS6 offers. Or something else.

It’s a bold, voluptuous sound, for sure. But I hear a lot of sounds and not so much music, so for me this is a miss so far. I don’t hear analog-like sound here, I hear early digital—like an early 1-bit or maybe being charitable, a Wolfsen.

Honestly I far prefer my ZX507. Which is disappointing. I have a few decades of experience and love with R2R dacs, usually like them a lot, and was thrilled Hiby put one in a player.

Love the build quality, screen, and buttons (although I far prefer volume buttons to a knob!), and the amp is very silent with sensitive IEMs, which is nice.

I do hear a slight (positive) difference with the VE Erlkoenig preset, but it doesn’t fix the fundamental flaws. There is definitely a change, though, so maybe Hiby can refine this sound over time. I’m surprised I liked that preset as previously I was steering away from NOS because it exacerbates the flaws, IMO. But there you are, it was preferable, and I’ll try it for awhile.

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 10:49 PM Post #1,559 of 3,181
I’m not very happy with my RS6. I listen to a LOT of live music, and the RS6 really struggles to present a coherent soundstage— frequently you have instruments popping out here and there without any connective tissue between them. I’m not entirely sure yet why, but it may be a low-level linearity problem, or have something to do with the truncated reverb tails the RS6 offers. Or something else.

It’s a bold, voluptuous sound, for sure. But I hear a lot of sounds and not so much music, so for me this is a miss so far. I don’t hear analog-like sound here, I hear early digital—like an early 1-bit or maybe being charitable, a Wolfsen.

Honestly I far prefer my ZX507. Which is disappointing. I have a few decades of experience and love with R2R dacs, usually like them a lot, and was thrilled Hiby put one in a player.

Love the build quality, screen, and buttons (although I far prefer volume buttons to a knob!), and the amp is very silent with sensitive IEMs, which is nice.

I do hear a slight (positive) difference with the VE Erlkoenig preset, but it doesn’t fix the fundamental flaws. There is definitely a change, though, so maybe Hiby can refine this sound over time. I’m surprised I liked that preset as previously I was steering away from NOS because it exacerbates the flaws, IMO. But there you are, it was preferable, and I’ll try it for awhile.
You are not alone there, I definitely have a similar experience with my unit, compared to my other R-2R DAP its definitely got a digital edge and a shortened decay past the lower mids.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back