HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,516 of 3,181
I’m about a week in now, and I am not preferring NOS mode on this player. I personally tend to like NOS sound (having experience with Audio Note and Metrum in the speaker-based hifi world) but here it’s not working for me. In NOS I am struggling with a disjointed soundstage, particularly a lack of “air” that knits a performance together, and something about transients that seem to fatigue my ear-brain.

While I’m personally not preferring NOS, your mileage may vary and if you like it, stick with it :)

Speaking of Sony ZX507, that’s my other DAP at the moment. I like it’s presentation quite a bit, as I listen more to music and far less to “sounds” when listening to it. But I tend to prefer it with some of the DSP on (heresy!) and there it lacks resolution, ultimately, compared to stuff I’ve had in the past (DX220, for sure, but also N6ii).

@Joe Bloggs I know I’ve asked about this multiple times before, but perhaps it got lost in the noise over the last few days. I’m going to page one last time and ask: would you mind listing out what the FIR filters are, from “Darwin Default” through the “Darwin 1-10” filters? I originally asked if you could ask to have those descriptions added in the software, but I’d be perfectly happy if you just typed them out here.
unfortunately right now I would have to reverse engineer them if *I* want to know what each one is.

of course that may change in the future :)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Nov 28, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,517 of 3,181
If you do ever come across an issue with your player after six months but within a year, message me and I'll see what I can do.
Thanks Joe. I do appreciate your offer. The difficulty is if I'd like to sell, or if you move on to other career options. I'd really like a document that ties the serial number of my latest unit tied to the duration of the guarantee. Otherwise it could be a he said-she said situation.
That said, my latest unit is working great. I love the UI and it really pairs well with the Cayin C9. Plus the physical volume knob...excellent.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,518 of 3,181
Very good point and I asked Hiby the same question. If I understood their explanation correctly, and @Joe Bloggs please correct me if I'm wrong, bud. So, when you look at the diagram:

RS6-block_diagram.png

NOS only bypasses FIR Filter (256-tap adjustable Impulse Response filter) and Oversampling (to remove sound aliasing artifacts), while Harmonics and Linearity Compensation is still intact.
I understand some of what you said, so you can use it with and without NOS? Both would yield slightly different results?

Nov 28, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #1,519 of 3,181
@joe blogg and james fung
The hiby player app of the hiby r5/6/8 provides a convolution plugin,but unfortunately it's not availbale in the standalone android hiby-player app.
Is it feasible for you to add the plugin also to the download section of the standalone app?
There doesn't exist any single convolution app for unrooted android and rooting is getting harder and harder, especially on samsung devices.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #1,520 of 3,181
Ok, I am but more confused now because I have the Mest MK2 and with that setting it automatically turns off NOS. However on a bunch of other IEM presets NOS can be on. No idea what’s going on honestly lol.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #1,521 of 3,181
It really doesn’t matter because in all my testing I prefer the sound of NOS anyway with the Mest.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #1,522 of 3,181
unfortunately right now I would have to reverse engineer them if *I* want to know what each one is.

of course that may change in the future :)
Ah, fair enough, Joe. You’re in the same boat as me :0 Thanks for responding.

Nov 28, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #1,523 of 3,181
Ok, I am but more confused now because I have the Mest MK2 and with that setting it automatically turns off NOS. However on a bunch of other IEM presets NOS can be on. No idea what’s going on honestly lol.
I assume that means the earphone designer decided MEST sounded better with NOS off…

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #1,524 of 3,181
Right now I’m mostly listening to Solaris LE, although I had a bit of fun with the Vega 2020 yesterday :0

I should also mention: redbook only sources, at the moment. Haven’t really listened to much hires on the Hiby.
then have you encountered similar problems you mentioned (disjointed soundstage, particularly a lack of “air” that knits a performance together, and something about transients that seem to fatigue my ear-brain) in other daps such as the sony 507 you own?

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #1,525 of 3,181
then have you encountered similar problems you mentioned (disjointed soundstage, particularly a lack of “air” that knits a performance together, and something about transients that seem to fatigue my ear-brain) in other daps such as the sony 507 you own?
No.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:27 PM Post #1,526 of 3,181

The more I read your comments, the more I think something could be off with your RS6 unit.

Btw, try switching to VE Erlkonig preset in Darwin settings, keep it on high gain, and use BAL output. Its my "default" RS6 sound now with all the iems I tried. While changes are not too drastic, they provide a very delicate technical finetuning that scales up the performance of RS6, improving the soundstage, imaging, the transient speed of note on/off, and even the perception of vertical sound dynamics improves.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #1,527 of 3,181
The more I read your comments, the more I think something could be off with your RS6 unit.

Btw, try switching to VE Erlkonig preset in Darwin settings, keep it on high gain, and use BAL output. Its my "default" RS6 sound now with all the iems I tried. While changes are not too drastic, they provide a very delicate technical finetuning that scales up the performance of RS6, improving the soundstage, imaging, the transient speed of note on/off, and even the perception of vertical sound dynamics improves.
no. I am just asking question. no comments by me there.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #1,528 of 3,181

Too late, he's already sold his RS6. Now he's just here to pick at the wound, regardless of the fact that the vast majority of actual RS6 owners have no issues with their units and are throughly enjoying them.

Nov 29, 2021 at 1:43 AM Post #1,530 of 3,181
New toy to try out with nos.
IMG_20211129_142457.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back