HiBy RS6 Android DAP - Snapdragon 660, 4+64GB, 5” full HD, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 16x, copper chassis
Dec 3, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #1,576 of 3,181
That’s a good summary for what I am struggling with. I’d add a dollop of gratuitous warmth (which I don’t necessarily mind) and a lack of resolution.
The lack of resolution could be the recessed and blind lower minds and the loosely controlled bass bleed
I actually have a indepth impression post about the RS6 about a week ago on this thread and it definitely sounds like you have the same general impression instead. Definitely some incoherency that I heard caused by the inconsistent lower and higher registers.

The vocals is well attenuated....if you aren't already using IEMs that already attenuate the upper mids for vocals.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #1,577 of 3,181
In your analysis of RS6, are you comparing it to ZX507 or any other particular DAP? The only Sony DAP I have and familiar with is WM1Z, while hardly anybody talks about ZX507, and I haven't seen too many reviews to form an opinion about it. I was actually under impression that ZX507 sound was saturated with DSP effects which bring heavy processing and oversampling. Maybe you are just used to that sound type which is different from a more raw NOS sound of RS6?
The zx507 default player software is processed to kingdom come. The best way to describe is take the most neutral IEM in your collection and use it with zx507...it'll sound like the tonality of IER-Z1R.

It's literally Sony's house sound.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #1,578 of 3,181
The zx507 default player software is processed to kingdom come. The best way to describe is take the most neutral IEM in your collection and use it with zx507...it'll sound like the tonality of IER-Z1R.

It's literally Sony's house sound.
Hyperbole, but I think that's a pretty good description if you use the Sony Music player. UAPP bypasses that of course.

That said: it's a coherent listen, even in "Sony house sound" mode, without the issues I noted in RS6 above. But I like IER-Z1R, so make of that what you will.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:40 PM Post #1,579 of 3,181
Hyperbole, but I think that's a pretty good description if you use the Sony Music player. UAPP bypasses that of course.

That said: it's a coherent listen, even in "Sony house sound" mode, without the issues I noted in RS6 above. But I like IER-Z1R, so make of that what you will.
Exactly why I specified under default player 😉 and there's nothing inherently wrong with the signature.

But at the very least for those that don't like that signature sound they can always bypass it with UAPP.

Unfortunately for the RS6 the sound is baked into hardware/low level firmware so there's no software bypass in Android.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #1,580 of 3,181
After the upgrade to fw 1.3, when applying DSD Filter "Darwin 1" while playing DSD256, I'm noticing improved dynamics in sound, the sound feels a little more expanded; with default DSD filter it sounds a little flatter. Anybody else noticing similar? I'm not DSD expert, only have a few sample files, thus curious if anybody else had a chance to play with that filter.
Just a quick listen, Duke Ellington "Take the A Train" DSD256 from Native DSD--the way I hear it "Darwin Default" has a flatter (depth-wise) and close-to-your-eyes soundstage, with some wonky-ness in the cymbal reproduction (which is honestly party the recording's fault, and I'm not sure if this is "accurate" or not, but certainly is unpleasant). Soundstage is a extremely wide, huge images! This sounds like RS6 PCM.

"Darwin 1" tightens that up considerably, the width shrinks but depth extends out a lot and the soundstage sounds very coherent and contiguous to me. Cymbal splashiness cleans up as much as it can (I think) based upon recording. Honestly, this is what I wish I could push a button and change about RS6 PCM :)

I don't have anywhere near as much DSD as PCM, but this deserves more investigation.

Dec 3, 2021 at 1:49 PM Post #1,581 of 3,181
After the upgrade to fw 1.3, when applying DSD Filter "Darwin 1" while playing DSD256, I'm noticing improved dynamics in sound, the sound feels a little more expanded; with default DSD filter it sounds a little flatter. Anybody else noticing similar? I'm not DSD expert, only have a few sample files, thus curious if anybody else had a chance to play with that filter.
I tried dsd filter with erlko preset much improve on tat Soundstage is much extend and more depth.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 1:53 PM Post #1,582 of 3,181
And actually, "Blow by Blow" (the Duke Ellington album previously mentioned) on Darwin Default is a great example of the soundstage issues I have on RS6 PCM. You can almost "feel" the soundstage "pumping" in and out as it is resolved and not resolved. Darwin 1 fixes this! Interesting. Is this a hardware DSD filtering path, or done somehow in the FPGA? I honestly don't know DSD well...

In PCM, I heard this "pumping" today on Grateful Dead, Dozin' at the Knick, "Black Peter." On RS6, the soundstage expands and collapses. On a Sony A105 I'm breaking in as a gift for a friend, it is stable. Not my favorite set of the Dead's music, but it's what the continuous shuffle was on when I put in the Final E3000's I'm using as a break in sink, and happened to pick up about 3 minutes into "Goin' Down the Road Feeling Bad" ... and just AIR JAMMED that great music out. LOL. Jerry's playing still gets me going, decades after I first saw them live!

Dec 4, 2021 at 2:58 AM Post #1,586 of 3,181
Total agree with you and RS6 has a lot of tools to tune it with different iems to find the best matching.
This options need time and patience to find the best pairing but i'd never come back and i missed al lot MSEB when i sold Hiby R5 for Shanling M6 pro.
If you have only 1-2 iems you don't care about it, but when you own many iems MSEB, Darwin/plugin are jewels for me.
If you want a plug and play dap buy an iPod :D

AK is a great brand for those looking for a DAP player that is 'plug and play' and doesn't require much tweaking - because AK is one of those companies that prefer you do as little tweaking as possible and listen to the music using their style. That's why the AK 'house' sound is brought up a lot because they are truly one of those players that prefers not to be tweaked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back