HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 12, 2023 at 9:15 AM Post #1,126 of 1,300
Can you download from the Tidal app on a PC to the RS2?

For me MQA would be a bonus, mostly I have FLAC and SACD ISO rips. I even prefer not having connectivity but then when they said they support Tidal I just don't get it :D
MQA is not really qualitatively better than FLAC, I even avoid it on purpose. The RS2 is a pure audio device, which means it has no internet connectivity whatsoever on purpose, to not be distracting. HiBy has other players that do support Tidal, but this one is designed to be local playback only, on purpose.

Sep 12, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #1,127 of 1,300
MQA is not really qualitatively better than FLAC, I even avoid it on purpose. The RS2 is a pure audio device, which means it has no internet connectivity whatsoever on purpose, to not be distracting. HiBy has other players that do support Tidal, but this one is designed to be local playback only, on purpose.
If you connect RS2 via USB to your old unused phone (that has no SIM card and notifications from apps is off) it easily and confidently replays, for example, Tidal MQA. And I am not destructed. More over you may attach a small dap, also, to keep the form factor small and use it solely to stream Tidal to RS2 w/o installing UAPP app... and worry on Android interference.

Sep 13, 2023 at 6:10 AM Post #1,128 of 1,300
Just got mine and so far it's not very encouraging. Every time I touch the player it either stops playing or goes to the next song.

Is there a way to lock it? I see I can turn the screen off and the volume knob is kinda locked, but touch it or the side of the case causes the player to stutter, stop, or jump to the previous or next track.

updated: I saw in the settings you can choose to lock the keys when the screen is off. Not sure why it isn't a default, but it helps a lot.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #1,129 of 1,300
Just got mine and so far it's not very encouraging. Every time I touch the player it either stops playing or goes to the next song.

Is there a way to lock it? I see I can turn the screen off and the volume knob is kinda locked, but touch it or the side of the case causes the player to stutter, stop, or jump to the previous or next track.

updated: I saw in the settings you can choose to lock the keys when the screen is off. Not sure why it isn't a default, but it helps a lot.
Maybe the problem is in the case?

Sep 13, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #1,130 of 1,300
Maybe the problem is in the case?

The case definitely does not help since it is so tight. It's nice quality but it squeezes the player so hard if you blow on it it affects the player.

Sep 13, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #1,131 of 1,300
How's the update v1.1? Waiting for mine to arrive this week hopefully.

A. Does tha Dap really takes a long time if you have 23k music files?

B. Is there a favorites tagging?

C. How's the playlist? I always make a playlist for each artist which contains their top 10 or 15 tracks. Pretty much how tidal/spotify works with top tracks

D. Currently have fiio m15. Would i get an upgrade in sonics? Using moondrop variations

Sep 14, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #1,132 of 1,300
I can't answer most of your questions since I don't use tags or playlists. All my music is organized in folders by artist and then by album.

You have the option to automatically rebuild the database or not, in the system settings. The default is no.

Certainly, putting in a new card with even a huge amount of music is pretty quick as long as you navigate by folders. If you want it to index the tags I don't know how long it will take.

In reference to my earlier posts about locking the keys there are two settings that can help. One (mentioned upthread) is to lock the keys when the screen is off, surprisingly the default is not to lock the keys. The other issue I ran into on the plane was that touching the screen a few times when it's off, turns on the screen. The default behavior is undesirable in my opinion. When I turned these two options off, I was able to enjoy my plane flight :)

Sep 14, 2023 at 1:25 PM Post #1,133 of 1,300
How's the update v1.1? Waiting for mine to arrive this week hopefully.

A. Does tha Dap really takes a long time if you have 23k music files?

B. Is there a favorites tagging?

C. How's the playlist? I always make a playlist for each artist which contains their top 10 or 15 tracks. Pretty much how tidal/spotify works with top tracks

D. Currently have fiio m15. Would i get an upgrade in sonics? Using moondrop variations
A. No. The navigation is pretty quick.
B and C. Yes. You can create both favorites (by clicking the star next to the search) and playlists as you like.
D. No idea. The RS2 can be plenty customized in terms of sound signature (brighter/warmer, etc.)

Sep 15, 2023 at 9:51 AM Post #1,135 of 1,300
-Album arts resolved by updating to latest firmware
-On dac mode through android phone, you need to click on the notification on your phone for usb and let connected device take control something like that 😅

I have like 23k tracks on a 1tb card, not even full yet, and it had crashed on me a handful of times.

Searching tracks is actually convenient. RS2 uses an old school p nokia kind of keypad to input your letters keyword search strings and its surprisingly not laggy at all.

Sounds delicious all so natural timbre. I'm hearing a wider stage than my fiio m15.

Small tiny pocket rocket, awesome synergy with Moondrop Variations where midbass somehow gets boosted by RS2's sound sig.

I basically disable two tap screen unlock because it does unlock by itself when it's in your pocket also play, next, back options can be activated as well so your music listening will be interrupted.

If you're going to be using file explorer instead of the album/artist, which takes a long time to load, better dump all of your audio files on your SD card's root directory. Don't put it in Music folder as to lessen the subdirectory that you'll be going through everytime you access it.

Unlocking the screen is a pain 😅 you need to do the slider thing to unlock it. Wish it was a button.

*Aspect ratio of album art when shown on Screensaver is all messed up.

*Still some of my MQA files are tagged as flac

*They have Sound Quality icons for DSD and MQA. For flacs, aac, mp3 etc.. all have the same icon, wish they have their own so that we can differentiate them instead of you going to the small dots and clickng properties to check what audio type/quality file we have

*displaying the tracks khz thing on top would also be awesome

*A faster UI through album would be God sent! Hope they fix it on future updates.

Sep 20, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #1,136 of 1,300
Does the RS2 officially support balanced line out? I've got the latest firmware 1.1 and was trying its balanced line out with an amp that accepts balanced line in and all I got was very low volume, obviously not usable. From the thread I've read that when it works it works ...but it's kind of hit and miss.

Is it officially supported?

If it's sort of gray area for now, is there a plan to make it official in the future?

Thanks for any insight!

Sep 20, 2023 at 11:20 AM Post #1,137 of 1,300
Does the RS2 officially support balanced line out? I've got the latest firmware 1.1 and was trying its balanced line out with an amp that accepts balanced line in and all I got was very low volume, obviously not usable. From the thread I've read that when it works it works ...but it's kind of hit and miss.
From the "manual" it seems certain that only the 4,4mm is balanced. And that output is not rated high enough to drive a normal balanced input. It seems directed only at IEMs rather than line out usage.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #1,138 of 1,300

Is it officially supported?

If it's sort of gray area for now, is there a plan to make it official in the future?

Thanks for any insight!
With the stock firmware all is fine. LO is solid. And 4.4 is solid. There were complaints soon after 1.1 release that it's crewing the LO. But never heard anything similar about the 4.4.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #1,139 of 1,300
From the "manual" it seems certain that only the 4,4mm is balanced.

If you look at the specs, the voltage on the 3,5mm line out is about half of what the standard lineout voltage would be expected to be.

I guess I was a little unclear--my question was does Hiby officially support balanced line-out out of the 4.4mm balanced output.

I wasn't aware that the regular 3.5mm line-out has lower than standard voltage.

I know it's a little gadget at the lower end of the R2R lineup, etc., but having a fully functional 4.4mm balanced line-out would really add to its value for me.

Last edited:
Sep 20, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #1,140 of 1,300
I guess I was a little unclear--my question was does Hiby officially support balanced line-out out of the 4.4mm balanced output.

I wasn't aware that the regular 3.5mm line-out has lower than standard voltage.

I know it's a little gadget at the lower end of the R2R lineup, etc., but having a fully functional 4.4mm balanced line-out would really add to its value for me.

I'm sorry, I didn't post what I meant to, I'll fix that in a moment.

From what I can see on the specs the 4,4mm balanced output is less than expected. The 3,5mm jacks are both 2V which is standard. On a balanced output we expect 4V but it's rated at 3,2V, so it is not the standard line level even when the volume is cranked up all the way.

I have no idea if they can change the output level and add a lineout mode via firmware, but I'm not suprised you get low volumes, since even at 0 dB output from the DAP, it would be underdriving most balanced inputs.

1695226285619.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back