HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Sep 11, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #1,111 of 1,309
Online is not supported, but MQA recordings can be downloaded to the card and listened to. You can connect the player via USB and listen to the stream.
Thanks but I still don't understand.

How are MQA recordings downloaded to a card? And what do you connect the player to?

Sep 11, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #1,113 of 1,309
The player connects to both the phone and the computer. You can download tracks in MQA format on various services, for example HDtracks.
Can you download from the Tidal app on a PC to the RS2?

For me MQA would be a bonus, mostly I have FLAC and SACD ISO rips. I even prefer not having connectivity but then when they said they support Tidal I just don't get it :D

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #1,114 of 1,309
Can you download from the Tidal app on a PC to the RS2?

For me MQA would be a bonus, mostly I have FLAC and SACD ISO rips. I even prefer not having connectivity but then when they said they support Tidal I just don't get it :D
The Tidal application cannot be uploaded to the device, you can download tracks in flac-mqa format. But there is little meaning in this. Also, you can use the device as an external USB DAC with MQA support.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #1,115 of 1,309
The Tidal application cannot be uploaded to the device, you can download tracks in flac-mqa format. But there is little meaning in this. Also, you can use the device as an external USB DAC with MQA support.

Does it mean you can download from the Tidal app to the memory cards in the RS2?

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #1,116 of 1,309
Does it mean you can download from the Tidal app to the memory cards in the RS2?
The Tidal application, as far as I know, does not allow downloading files that can be played by third-party applications. But files in this format (MQA-flac) can be bought on the previously mentioned HDtracks or borrowed from a friend.

Sep 11, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #1,117 of 1,309
The Tidal application, as far as I know, does not allow downloading files that can be played by third-party applications. But files in this format (MQA-flac) can be bought on the previously mentioned HDtracks or borrowed from a friend.
Thanks for your help :)

Sep 11, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #1,118 of 1,309
Thanks for your help :)
I will sometimes just use my RS2 as a straight R2R DAC connected to the Tidal desktop app or UAPP in Android. MQA streams are decoded per normal and the nice thing is the sample rate is displayed along with the color coded LED. I also have a few local MQA files loaded onto the RS2's SD card that unfold using the local player.

Sep 12, 2023 at 2:58 AM Post #1,119 of 1,309
Hi
I bought the RS2 a couple of weeks ago and i quite like it. The only thing i don't like is the tiny manual that came with it. Is there a manual i can download that has more information in it?

Sorry to be a pain, could someone please explain what the following means:

Maximum digital volume output.
DSD output mode.
DSD gain compensation.
Crossfade. Should it be turned on?

Also in the Darwin part of the menu, what is NOS, should that be on?
What is a harmonic controller?

Many thanks!

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:28 AM Post #1,120 of 1,309
I made it through the first third of the thread but still have no idea how MQA and Tidal are supported since there is no connectivity. Mine should arrive tomorrow but I don't see a shipping notice.
mostly my usage with Tidal streaming, as usb dac

Sep 12, 2023 at 3:55 AM Post #1,122 of 1,309
Hi
I bought the RS2 a couple of weeks ago and i quite like it. The only thing i don't like is the tiny manual that came with it. Is there a manual i can download that has more information in it?

Sorry to be a pain, could someone please explain what the following means:

DSD output mode.
DSD gain compensation.

What is a harmonic controller?

Many thanks!
Crossfade - this is simulating speakers in room, you hear (some) in the left ear of what you hear with the right but with some delay; try it - may like it or not ( you loose the stereo a bit but get more room replay)
NOS / OS - non over sampling is the recording w/o digital enrichment, while OS is oversampling that digitally recreates a more reacher and smoother sound. Try it - some like NOS, some like OS - it depends on subjective preference, R2R performance, recording - usually OS is smoother, but is not always better.
The rest, I keep at average and will not dare to comment.

Sep 12, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #1,123 of 1,309
NOS / OS - non over sampling is the recording w/o digital enrichment, while OS is oversampling that digitally recreates a more reacher and smoother sound. Try it - some like NOS, some like OS - it depends on subjective preference, R2R performance, recording - usually OS is smoother, but is not always better.
I liked, in OS mode, to raise the value of "harmonic controller" to 150-170.

Sep 12, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #1,124 of 1,309
I liked, in OS mode, to raise the value of "harmonic controller" to 150-170.
yep, believe you. Yes, harmonic controller cleans or creates reverb, so again it is subjective - reverb gives you more emphasis on nuance and smooths while decreased reverb a bit more space b/n instruments.
Now some more tips:
1/ keep it on high gain - its better;
2/ do not rush with new firmware update - the last one screw the LO;
3/ and the LO is very good - the headphone outs of RS2 use its amp and they are a bit warmer than the LO; if you do a LO you will hear only the RS2 dac and it is a bit cleaner and cooler. I use the line out to portable and desktop amps (portable NX7 and Fiio Q5s) and I think the performance is quite better vs RS2 amp;
4/ use the 4.4mm jack for headphones - this is how you get the top performance;
Cheers :smile_phones:

Sep 12, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #1,125 of 1,309
I will sometimes just use my RS2 as a straight R2R DAC connected to the Tidal desktop app or UAPP in Android. MQA streams are decoded per normal and the nice thing is the sample rate is displayed along with the color coded LED. I also have a few local MQA files loaded onto the RS2's SD card that unfold using the local player.

Thanks, I'm finally getting the use case. But I listen to MQA over my Brooklyn usually, which has sample rate and bit depth displays of in and out streams, and is rather a superb MQA diagnostic tool. My RS2 will be used only for plane travel.

Hi
Agreed, I was surprised at the manual download from the Hiby site. It is more of a "Getting Started" or "Read Me First." Where's the manual? :D
Sorry to be a pain, could someone please explain what the following mean?

Should be used when in USB DAC mode.

DSD output mode.
Normally this means DSD (SACD etc.) is not converted to PCM. So this more is also only available in USB DAC mode. You have to control the volume at the preamp/amp.

DSD gain compensation.

A lot of R2R DACs oversample because of fundamental defiencies in their implementation. A good NOS R2R DAC is rare.

I use NOS on my Audio-gd R8 MK2.

As somebody said above, it's about personal preference for your DAC and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back