HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Aug 24, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #286 of 1,282
Very interested in this DAP - is there any feedback on the dual microSD execution? I know in the past several of the DAP suppliers mentioned issues with this as the main reason they switched away from the dual card configuration and, as it's the key reason I'm interested in the DAP, I'd love to know how well it's coping :)

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:06 AM Post #287 of 1,282
Very interested in this DAP - is there any feedback on the dual microSD execution? I know in the past several of the DAP suppliers mentioned issues with this as the main reason they switched away from the dual card configuration and, as it's the key reason I'm interested in the DAP, I'd love to know how well it's coping :)
They replied to me that it builds a single library from tracks on both cards but the library has a max of 50.000 tracks but folder browse can access as many tracks as there are on the cards

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:11 AM Post #288 of 1,282
They replied to me that it builds a single library from tracks on both cards but the library has a max of 50.000 tracks but folder browse can access as many tracks as there are on the cards
I saw that earlier in the thread, thanks @nc8000
I have loads of albums so I tend to browse by folder anyway, meaning I'm not too fussed about the library limitations as long as I can access everything.
I just know stability has been an issue in the past for the dual-slot players - I'm really hoping Hiby have nailed that part and, if they have, I'll be picking one up for sure (rather than the Rockboxed iPods I'm currently using instead)

Aug 24, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #289 of 1,282
I saw that earlier in the thread, thanks @nc8000
I have loads of albums so I tend to browse by folder anyway, meaning I'm not too fussed about the library limitations as long as I can access everything.
I just know stability has been an issue in the past for the dual-slot players - I'm really hoping Hiby have nailed that part and, if they have, I'll be picking one up for sure (rather than the Rockboxed iPods I'm currently using instead)

You can browse per card, then per folder. And you can also browse all tracks at one go.

Aug 24, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #290 of 1,282
You can browse per card, then per folder. And you can also browse all tracks at one go.
Sounds perfect! Thanks for the help all

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #291 of 1,282
Does anyone know if 2-level folder architecture is properly managed by the OS ? For example Artist folder > Album folder > tracks ? I ask this because I had a DAP based on a proprietary OS that had issues handling a 2+ level of folders architecture (I can't remember if it was Dethonray or another DAP like this).

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:27 PM Post #292 of 1,282
Nice impressions flowing in. Can someone please compare it with sound quality of Dethonray DTR1 and RS2? Is the sound in Hiby anywhere close to the Dethonray? I am sure RS2 is going to be a polished dap not as Stone Aged DTR1. But DTR1 has such great sound quality that it always stands out.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:50 PM Post #293 of 1,282
Does anyone know if 2-level folder architecture is properly managed by the OS ? For example Artist folder > Album folder > tracks ? I ask this because I had a DAP based on a proprietary OS that had issues handling a 2+ level of folders architecture (I can't remember if it was Dethonray or another DAP like this).

Yes it does that. Selecting by Artist, then you can choose thier Albums.

Aug 25, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #294 of 1,282
Browsing by folder should support any number of levels. Don’t know how the library tag based browsing will work

Aug 25, 2022 at 9:55 AM Post #295 of 1,282
After around 120ish hours burn-in, here my observations:

- The difference in NOS is now more noticeable when enabling/disabling.
- Battery life is consistently 10+ hours (50-55 volume, Low Gain, playing mixed formats). The most I got was 10.5 hours
- Very intimate mids. Short of being so in your face experience - now I understand what everyone keeps mentioning "rich" mids on an R2R, very organic - mids lovers, stand in line!
- No hiss in any of my IEMs.
- Stay away from your router, it picks up interference when you're near one, around 1-2ft.

EDIT TO ADD:
- Using balanced and status LED enabled. Definitely can get a few more hours on SE

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 10:09 AM Post #296 of 1,282
After around 120ish hours burn-in, here my observations:

- The difference in NOS is now more noticeable when enabling/disabling.
- Battery life is consistently 10+ hours (50-55 volume, Low Gain, playing mixed formats). The most I got was 10.5 hours
- Very intimate mids. Short of being so in your face experience - now I understand what everyone keeps mentioning "rich" mids on an R2R, very organic - mids lovers, stand in line!
- No hiss in any of my IEMs.
- Stay away from your router, it picks up interference when you're near one, around 1-2ft.
Well, that sucks. Not very well shielded then I guess. A LOT of my listening is while sitting at my old desktop and the router is right there, on a stand. I could move the router easily enough if the interference is only when you are within a couple feet of it but I can't move it out of the immediate vicinity (or wont go through the hassle of doing so). Not going to completely re-arrange things that I shouldn't have to rearrange in order for a DAP to behave itself. Especially one that isn't streaming anything.

Aug 25, 2022 at 10:35 AM Post #297 of 1,282
Mine has shipped from Hiby :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back