HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Aug 21, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #272 of 1,273
I mean you need to test it first. It is not for everyone. Not for those who prefer a bigger soundstage….. or men or women having bigger fingers.

One small note about the small screen. I have a 256GB micro-SD full of music (6,000-ish) but since I use the album view to scroll through my music (from 8-20 songs per album only) and so I think the small screen is not so much a torture.
Luckily I also have a habit of exploring my music through the Album view only. And I have a library of 6000 songs too but on a 512GB card. But I have rather large fingers haha. Want to know how it compares against the RS6. Any comments on that, please?

Aug 21, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #273 of 1,273
Is it handless an aggressive music styles like metal? Not to sound soft, relaxing, polite even muffled as r2r could be? Cuz my Cayin ru6 could…
I am not a metalhead and don't have many metal tunes but I did test RS6 and RS2 with Judas Priest's Painkiller and Iron Maiden's 22 Acacia Avenue. First off I think RS2 is by not mean soft or polite. I even think RS2, in low-gain, is more dynamic than RS6 in mid-gain. But the soundstage of RS2 is perhaps one notch below RS6's. The difference is:

Painkiller - on RS6 Rob Halford's scream is slightly more extended but a tad less forward than RS2. [RS6 is better to my taste]
22 Acacia Avenue - on RS6 with all the bass and cymbal sound in the background, Bruce Dickinson's vocal is a tad less forward than RS2, but it extends better and is more refined effortlessly. On RS2 his vocal is smoother and more forward. [I like RS2 more though RS6 is perhaps technically better]

Test gear: IE600

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:17 AM Post #274 of 1,273
Luckily I also have a habit of exploring my music through the Album view only. And I have a library of 6000 songs too but on a 512GB card. But I have rather large fingers haha. Want to know how it compares against the RS6. Any comments on that, please?
One thing I find it unfathomable is that the retail price of RS6 is roughly 2.5 times of RS2 but, sound-wise the difference between the two is not that big. RS6 is more technically competence in, I think, the soundstage and micro-details (i.e. the technical department). Yes RS6 also can stream, can play bluetooth, install other apps (I am using poweramp which has so many features). On the other hand, I think RS2 is smoother, more vocal-forward (I like it), but the transparency is very good (if not at RS6's level), and has so much power that it drives my VE EXT and IE600 well (I haven't had time to test my demanding Aeon Flow yet).

My question is who now will buy RS6?

Oh RS6 - I love its technicalities and competency. Poweramp's interface is gorgeous. But it is bigger, heavier and it also grows a bit hot when I put it in my pocket.

RS2 - Despite the small screen, I like its simplicity as I usually use my DAP during commuting.

So it is not about which one is better (because to my ears, the difference is small), I like to think, but what you really need.

(and I'm selling my RS6)

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 8:14 AM Post #275 of 1,273
Oh damn, I am so sad to hear there's a big soundstage difference between RS2 and RS6. I thought they are similar as they basically use the same DAC. Maybe when output to another amp it will be better? I am a big nerd about large expansion soundstages. RS2 really ticks all the boxes for me in terms of form factor.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #276 of 1,273
Oh damn, I am so sad to hear there's a big soundstage difference between RS2 and RS6. I thought they are similar as they basically use the same DAC. Maybe when output to another amp it will be better? I am a big nerd about large expansion soundstages. RS2 really ticks all the boxes for me in terms of form factor.
Hey what I said about their soundstage is just in a relative sense. My IE600 may also contribute what I described "smaller soundstage". You may need to test RS2 yourself to see if it is (not) your thing.

Aug 21, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #278 of 1,273
Auditioned RS2 alongside my RS6 and R3 Pro and hated what I heard…..

The reason I hated what I heard because it clicked all the boxes that a DAP should achieve:
- compact and small footprint
- R2R
- no all other non-sense like Android, streaming, Bluetooth
- Fit well with Mojo2
- it comes in green

…… and I hated it because now I need to think about whether to sell my RS6 / R3 Pro. crap.
Oh nice...so the RS2 can be used as a transport to feed digital into the Mojo 2. I had been wondering about that. I'm kinda sorta in the market for a small local-file-only DAP that can be used in a pocket for on-the-go, but also can be used with something like the Mojo 2 for around the home use.

Aug 22, 2022 at 12:46 AM Post #279 of 1,273
I just hooked up my long time not used Shanling M0 and RU6, and wondering if RS2 will be much improve over this combo? Will try this to see how long M0 can last, maybe two hours?

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #280 of 1,273
Never been able to understand buying a dongle for the price of an entire DAP... but the RU6 tempted me.

Aug 22, 2022 at 1:14 AM Post #281 of 1,273
Oh nice...so the RS2 can be used as a transport to feed digital into the Mojo 2. I had been wondering about that. I'm kinda sorta in the market for a small local-file-only DAP that can be used in a pocket for on-the-go, but also can be used with something like the Mojo 2 for around the home use.
Yes, it works with Mojo2 perfectly.

771F3CC6-2839-46C9-90FB-2322977CB43B.jpeg

Aug 23, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #283 of 1,273
One thing I find it unfathomable is that the retail price of RS6 is roughly 2.5 times of RS2 but, sound-wise the difference between the two is not that big. RS6 is more technically competence in, I think, the soundstage and micro-details (i.e. the technical department). Yes RS6 also can stream, can play bluetooth, install other apps (I am using poweramp which has so many features). On the other hand, I think RS2 is smoother, more vocal-forward (I like it), but the transparency is very good (if not at RS6's level), and has so much power that it drives my VE EXT and IE600 well (I haven't had time to test my demanding Aeon Flow yet).
Thank you so much for your feedback man. I used to own the RS6 but had to sell it due to some personal reasons. Used to love its organic presentation. Now RS2 will complement my Shanling M7 :)

Thanks for your feedback man!!

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #284 of 1,273
And my preorder has shipped but as I’m away on Holliday I wont get to try it until I’m back 23rd September

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #285 of 1,273
I also just got a shipping notice. Can't wait for this little bugger.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back