HiBy RS2: dual card slots, Darwin R2R, FIR, NOS, MQA 8x--news and impressions thread
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:04 PM Post #616 of 1,300
I'm still waiting on my R2 to come, but in the meantime I was wondering what would be the best way to upload my music files? Should I wait for the R2 to arrive or should I just upload my music to the mirco sd card without the hiby? Also what's the best way to organize the music files so I don't run into any problems searching through my files, my collection is at about 24,000 songs

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2022 at 12:09 PM Post #617 of 1,300
Does the RS2 play all CONTAINER formats w/o hitch, out of the box? For example, My Fiio M11 Pro will not play .wv files. Very annoying as many of my high-rez vinyl rips are in this format.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:23 PM Post #618 of 1,300
Does the RS2 play all CONTAINER formats w/o hitch, out of the box? For example, My Fiio M11 Pro will not play .wv files. Very annoying as many of my high-rez vinyl rips are in this format.
WAV, MP3, MP4, FLAC, DSD all played flawlessly. I think I had some AAC and AIFF files too in the mix.

Oct 14, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #619 of 1,300
Have received RS2 (thank you @nc8000 )

Some *very* brief impressions:

- Very nice build/feel. Love the compact feel. Sturdy in the hand. Knobs and volume feel good. Packaging quite nice. Accessories also quite nice, especially the 3.5mm IC.

- Use: the screen is tiny and has a sort of washed out appearance, I guess consistent with the "retro" theme :ksc75smile:. That said, the basic play screen functions well.

- Navigability is a bit of an ordeal. I understand the recent FW raised the track limit from 20,000 to 50,000. IMO you should not go beyond 20,000 tracks on this DAP. I have two 1TB SDCards, both running perfectly, but the scanning time will take a good 20 minutes or so. I've not had the issues others have mentioned in terms of opening up genres and it freezes. But I could see how more than 20,000 tracks or so would lead to issues. I'm currently running about 17,000 tracks - 24/192, 24/96, DSD, WAV - and it will take about a minute for a genre to open with 600 albums in. Not a huge deal, but you need a little patience when using the RS2.

- Actually finding one's way around is mixed. It reads tags/album covers perfectly. No issues there, everything is neatly organised. But because everything is so miniature, finding an album deep in the alphabet takes time. There's an A-Z on the right hand side that one could scroll in theory, but it's so small that's basically useless. If you have this DAP only for shuffle purposes, it works supremely well.

- Best feature: Twin SD-Card slots which merge into one library. Love this. Worth getting for this function alone. On the Hugo2Go, you can have two memory cards, but they have to be activated individually and only one at a time.

- Otherwise, GUI is quite well thought out. I never stream and only use my own library, but the inclusion of Bluetooth so that one could control the interface from a phone would have been ideal.

- Brief sound impressions: warmish but not muddy or rolled off. Mids are bordering on "lush" without being overly thick. Treble is airy but not overly crispy. Somewhat reminds me of my old WM1A but with better definition. Nothing like RU6 or RU1. Forget about comparisons with Mojo 2, not even close. Technically, the RS2 is a bit soft. Imaging and detail are a bit blurry - relaxing you might say, charitably. Soundstage is intimate. Dynamics are not really the strong point, it has to be said. Overall presentation is rather laid-back.

- Ampage. My sense is that the performance is rather held back by the amp stage. Paired up with a Mass Kobo 428 via the LO, the DAC performance begins to shine. Impact/dynamics are much faster, overall presentation has more authority. Also nicely surprised by how well the DAC scaled with my Bakoon amp.

- Pairings: just very briefly, no problem with IEMs. Everything sounds engaging and musical. For headphones, again not the forte for the RS2 but I have to say Meze 109 and 99 sound very good direct. MSR7B also sounds oddly excellent. Alas, not really feeling the WP900 right now. 600 Ohm Beyer DT990 sounded pretty good via Mass Kobo. Main recommendation would be 99 Classics or 109 Pro for headphone usage.

I bought this mostly to use as a coax transport for Mojo 2 - which it does very well - but can also see myself easily using IE400/IE900 for out and about usage. The stock tuning is not really my thing, but I knew this in advance and wanted an alternative to my go-to Chord sources. To that end, it works well.

P1110927.JPGP1110931.JPG

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #620 of 1,300
Have received RS2 (thank you @nc8000 )

- Very nice build/feel. Love the compact feel. Sturdy in the hand. Knobs and volume feel good. Packaging quite nice. Accessories also quite nice, especially the 3.5mm IC.

- Use: the screen is tiny and has a sort of washed out appearance, I guess consistent with the "retro" theme :ksc75smile:. That said, the basic play screen functions well.

- Navigability is a bit of an ordeal. I understand the recent FW raised the track limit from 20,000 to 50,000. IMO you should not go beyond 20,000 tracks on this DAP. I have two 1TB SDCards, both running perfectly, but the scanning time will take a good 20 minutes or so. I've not had the issues others have mentioned in terms of opening up genres and it freezes. But I could see how more than 20,000 tracks or so would lead to issues. I'm currently running about 17,000 tracks - 24/192, 24/96, DSD, WAV - and it will take about a minute for a genre to open with 600 albums in. Not a huge deal, but you need a little patience when using the RS2.

- Actually finding one's way around is mixed. It reads tags/album covers perfectly. No issues there, everything is neatly organised. But because everything is so miniature, finding an album deep in the alphabet takes time. There's an A-Z on the right hand side that one could scroll in theory, but it's so small that's basically useless. If you have this DAP only for shuffle purposes, it works supremely well.

- Best feature: Twin SD-Card slots which merge into one library. Love this. Worth getting for this function alone. On the Hugo2Go, you can have two memory cards, but they have to be activated individually and only one at a time.

- Otherwise, GUI is quite well thought out. I never stream and only use my own library, but the inclusion of Bluetooth so that one could control the interface from a phone would have been ideal.

- Brief sound impressions: warmish but not muddy or rolled off. Mids are bordering on "lush" without being overly thick. Treble is airy but not overly crispy. Somewhat reminds me of my old WM1A but with better definition. Nothing like RU6 or RU1. Forget about comparisons with Mojo 2, not even close. Technically, the RS2 is a bit soft. Imaging and detail are a bit blurry - relaxing you might say, charitably. Soundstage is intimate. Dynamics are not really the strong point, it has to be said. Overall presentation is rather laid-back.

- Ampage. My sense is that the performance is rather held back by the amp stage. Paired up with a Mass Kobo 428 via the LO, the DAC performance begins to shine. Impact/dynamics are much faster, overall presentation has more authority. Also nicely surprised by how well the DAC scaled with my Bakoon amp.

- Pairings: just very briefly, no problem with IEMs. Everything sounds engaging and musical. For headphones, again not the forte for the RS2 but I have to say Meze 109 and 99 sound very good direct. MSR7B also sounds oddly excellent. Alas, not really feeling the WP900 right now. 600 Ohm Beyer DT990 sounded pretty good via Mass Kobo. Main recommendation would be 99 Classics or 109 Pro for headphone usage.

I bought this mostly to use as a coax transport for Mojo 2 - which it does very well - but can also see myself easily using IE400/IE900 for out and about usage. The stock tuning is not really my thing, but I knew this in advance and wanted an alternative to my go-to Chord sources. To that end, it works well.

P1110927.JPGP1110931.JPG
The 4.4 has had about 200 hours before you received it, nothing on the 3.5

Oct 14, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #621 of 1,300
The 4.4 has had about 200 hours before you received it, nothing on the 3.5
Thanks, interesting. I am using the 3.5 for Meze 99 and it sounds good. Will A/B with balanced cable tomorrow and see if there's any difference besides output.

Have to say - line out is excellent on this. Connected to an external amp, the potential of the DAC performance is really unleashed.

Oct 14, 2022 at 4:18 PM Post #622 of 1,300
Any comparisons between RS3 and Tempotec Variations V6?
I'm look at these two options for my next dap and would like to hear impressions of anyone who has heard both.

Oct 14, 2022 at 5:13 PM Post #623 of 1,300
I have an RS2 on order and it is expected to arrive early Nov.
For me LO is critical.
I was surprised at how much an improvement even my least-costly amp ($100 Go-Vibe portable, 9v, purch Dec. 2006) was over HO on my Fiio M11-Pro. The Go-Vibe is orders of magnitude better than the M11-Pro HO. So much so that I'd rather have the Go-Vibe coupled with 12 year old Teclast or Colorfly DAPs (using LO; both $120-150 DAPs) over that of the solitary M11-Pro HO, judged on sonics alone.
Too bad DAC-less (= dedicated, amp-only devices) portable amps -- like Go-Vibe or HeadRoom -- are no longer common. Yes, https://www.raysamuelsaudio.com/ stuff is still around. But at absurd prices!

Oct 14, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #624 of 1,300
Was it effin' broken in? Of so, your effin' burn in procedure and how effin' long?

Oct 14, 2022 at 10:45 PM Post #625 of 1,300
Any comparisons between RS3 and Tempotec Variations V6?
I'm look at these two options for my next dap and would like to hear impressions of anyone who has heard both.
The V6 hasn't started shipping yet, but Kickstarter orders are close to going out. So there are only a few early review models around at the moment. I got in on it, so hopefully will be sent soon. Also have the RS2.

Oct 15, 2022 at 12:33 AM Post #626 of 1,300
Oct 15, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #628 of 1,300
The old XLO cd had good burn-in and demagnetizing sweeps. A must for any audio enthusiast.
I have for years been using this for burn in

417C0A62-3BC5-4246-AFFE-8904E63C82F4.jpeg

Oct 15, 2022 at 3:10 AM Post #629 of 1,300
Was it effin' broken in? Of so, your effin' burn in procedure and how effin' long?
It was pre-effin' broken in on balanced side. I don't have a procedure; I just plug and play.

As for portable amps, lots out there: Cayin C9, Woo Audio WA8, Mass Kobo 424/428, Romi BX2 Plus, Aroma A100TB, etc. More budget friendly, Topping NX7 has just come out and is affordable.

Oct 15, 2022 at 6:46 AM Post #630 of 1,300
The V6 hasn't started shipping yet, but Kickstarter orders are close to going out. So there are only a few early review models around at the moment. I got in on it, so hopefully will be sent soon. Also have the RS2.
I will look forward to your impressions. V6 just came up on preorder in my country and the offered price is far too tempting to not go for it. I might buy very soon if my patience runs out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back